Buy SMACX while waiting for BE (tech specs)?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by I was NC, Jun 17, 2014.

1. I was NC

I was NC Chieftain

I loved SMACX and see it's for sale. However I understand it may not work on an up-to-date computer. Does anyone know for sure? While not a financial risk (costs <$5), I'd hate to get all excited and waste the time.

2. MountainTiger

MountainTiger Chieftain

I had it running on my last laptop (Windows 7) with an easy fix; I haven't installed it since getting Windows 8, so I don't know if the same fix works.

3. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

It works out-of-the-(metaphorical-)box on up-to-date computers just fine if you get the GOG version.

4. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger King

Yeah, GOG takes care of all the compatibility stuff for you. It's a very convenient service.

5. 3of5

3of5 Recycling Vats Technician

Rigged the original just fine to work on Win7, although i had to apply some workarounds to get it running.

6. Kissamies

Kissamies Prince

I am currently revisiting SMAX using the GOG version on my Windows 8 laptop. The only problem is the slight one with resolution. Can only use the game's original resolution, which doesn't use the whole screen, or desktop's native resolution (put DirectDraw=0 in the ini file) which almost makes everything too small to see. Got used to it, though. I am also using one of those unofficial patches that fixes some small things and improves the AI a bit, but it worked just great even without.

Still a great game, though the interface is a bit annoying.

Edit: Heh, I had to jinx it by saying that it works fine... Suddenly got the "starting movie crash" bug. Few hours later I tied again and the crash was gone. Oh well, the starting cinematic can be disabled.

7. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Never had that bug.