Call to Power

techumseh

Deity
Does anyone remember the old Civ knock off "Call to Power"? It had many cool features as I recall, including sub-sea and orbital colonization. I still have a copy of the original CTP I disk around somewhere.

It lacked events capability, which is why I moved to Test of Time to make scenarios. But could it be given that capacity through LUA? I'm just curious.

I've been trying to get the sprites from it, to no avail.

I have the discs for it somewhere. There used to be modding threads for it either here or at Poly

Does anyone remember the old Civ knock off "Call to Power"? It had many cool features as I recall, including sub-sea and orbital colonization. I still have a copy of the original CTP I disk around somewhere.

It lacked events capability, which is why I moved to Test of Time to make scenarios. But could it be given that capacity through LUA? I'm just curious.

I've never played the game, so I don't know the features it has. However, couldn't you just design a scenario with several maps, including the sea floor and orbit in space? I don't know why you'd need Lua, though it could, obviously, offer enhancements.

I don't know why you'd need Lua, though it could, obviously, offer enhancements.

It is said, that the AI in CTP1 and 2 is acting more weakly than in Civ 1-4 - but I would prefer to see some of the very cool ideas of CTP units been transferred to Civ 2 ToT.

I've never played the game, so I don't know the features it has. However, couldn't you just design a scenario with several maps, including the sea floor and orbit in space? I don't know why you'd need Lua, though it could, obviously, offer enhancements.

A guy called Kestrel did one shortly after ToT was produced. He made several multi-map scenarios very early on that were ahead of their time. I think you can still download some of them: https://web.archive.org/web/20080818144238/http://www.users.bigpond.com/kestrel18/favourites.htm#top

I guess what I'm asking is if the lua that you are using is just for Test of Time, or can be used to create events for other games?

I guess what I'm asking is if the lua that you are using is just for Test of Time, or can be used to create events for other games?

Someone would have to create the equivalent of TOTPP for Call To Power. Basically, the program code has to be edited to 'ask for' lua code, and further edited so that lua code could make changes. Without the original source code, that would be proper software engineering and reverse engineering stuff. Much more complicated than actually writing new code in lua.

The disk is sitting on shelf, and has been for years. I have tried to install or play it for eons, though. I remember being very disappointed with it.

Yeah, CTP suffers from the same problem as all Civ clones, a certain clunky, ill-fitting feeling.
It's hard to nail down, but the best way I can say it - There is an elegance to CIV2's simplicity.
Sid and the team created a perfect design with that version that has never been repeated.

As the Civ series continued, they never recaptured it. And the many copycats tried to recreate
the mood. And while they added some neat ideas, they could never emulate CIV2 properly.

I guess that is wht we all stuck with CIV2 for 20 years and more.

Yeah, CTP suffers from the same problem as all Civ clones, a certain clunky, ill-fitting feeling.
It's hard to nail down, but the best way I can say it - There is an elegance to CIV2's simplicity.
Sid and the team created a perfect design with that version that has never been repeated.

As the Civ series continued, they never recaptured it. And the many copycats tried to recreate
the mood. And while they added some neat ideas, they could never emulate CIV2 properly.

I guess that is wht we all stuck with CIV2 for 20 years and more.

Very well said. :) But for Civ 2 to become 'the ideal civ' there must be found a solution to implement animated units with their animated combat into the game.

Top Bottom