Can I view icon atlases that came with Civ V

jmknpk

Chieftain
I have created icon atlases using the templates available on these forums.

I wanted to browse around all of the DDS files that came with the game, just to see how things were done, and also look at the artwork. But when I open the *.dds files with GIMP, they just look like a scrambled mess instead of something with an icon template.

I'm assuming a special tool needs to extract from the *.dds files into the icon template format we use to create new icons.

Is there a way to do what I'd like?

Moderator Action: Moved to main C&C forum.

Questions live in the main C&C sub-forum, I've asked the mods to move this.

DDS files that are a scrambled mess have an associated index file - this tool merges the two files into a single png file

Thanks Whoward69. I apologize about posting in the wrong sub-forum section. Actually, I'm not sure exactly how I posted in the wrong section. I thought I was trying to post to where this thread ended up after moving. I'll try to pay more attention next time, not sure I have it entirely figured out yet.

I believe I hit the "new thread" button, from right where I am reading this moved thread. I am guessing doing so again would post in the wrong place again. I am not seeing anything to allow me to choose how to post in the better place. Any thread posting for dummies instructions?

Never mind. I think I've figured out my thread posting confusion. I was assuming the various sections were exclusive category choices, rather than subsections of a main forum section. Probably won't be so obvious again in the future. Hopefully I'll remember if I post again.

It would have been more clear to me if there had been a sub-category labeled "Questions and general discussion" at the same level as "Reference material,...". :0

[...] I was assuming the various sections were exclusive category choices, rather than subsections of a main forum section. Probably won't be so obvious again in the future. Hopefully I'll remember if I post again.[..]

Don't worry, plenty of people (including me) have made that mistake before! ;)

DDS files that are a scrambled mess have an associated index file - this tool merges the two files into a single png file

Excellent tool! Now I can casually peruse the ./resources/DX9 directory to discover where the critical images I need to modify are located. Thanks much Whoward69!

There is a saying that "seeing is believing". I guess a corollary might be "seeing is realization of root source of in-game graphics".

Seeing a widget is much more helpful than reading someOtherName.fpk -> stuff.dds -> ICON_ATLAS_FILENAME -> item_details.xml/"<itemArtStyle>" and guessing what is behind the code. Visual knowledge is empowering. More so than written knowledge when it comes to visuals.

Top Bottom