Can not play music in Civ2

Sir_Lancelot

Emperor
In the game menu I select "Pick Music" and get this message:
"This option is not available unless the Civilization II CD is in the CDROM drive."
But the Civ2 CD is in the drive! :cringe: Why does it not work?

When I look at the folders on the CD I can't even see music, only sound effects. Is it no music on the CD or is the music files just invisible for Windows Explorer? Why does the game ask for the game CD if there is no music on it?
I'm confused.

Can you right click on the CD and select play? If you can play music off the disk, the problem is probably that the disk needs to be in the D: drive. There's a fix for that but it's a bit complicated.

Can you right click on the CD and select play? If you can play music off the disk, the problem is probably that the disk needs to be in the D: drive. There's a fix for that but it's a bit complicated.
Right clicking the CD drive in Windows XP gives no option to play.

But I have started Windows Media Player and played the content. I found:
-Emissary animations
-Sound effects and "tunes"
-Wonder videos

The "tunes" are short pieces from 1 to 15 seconds in length and I don't count them as music. It's just what you hear at certain happenings in the game, like contacting another civ or battle sounds.

I can't find music on the game disc, and the "Pick music" function isn't letting me pick music from my digital music library. I can of course run a media player in the background playing music, but I don't need a "Pick music" option in the game to do that! And it doesn't even work.

Is the game CD supposed to contain music?

Yeah, it's supposed to contain from 9 tracks (for Classic Civ2) to 13 (for Test of Time) to 23 (for Fantastic Worlds). Multiplayer Gold Edition removed the original tracks (except Ode to Joy and Funeral March) and used 9 from the expansions instead. I've heard that some disks don't have the music; yours might be one of them.

I've heard that some disks don't have the music; yours might be one of them.
That sucks. :( It would make me feel a little better if someone told me the game music is terrible, lol.
I only paid 2.80 Euros for the game about a year ago, it's not like it is an excuse for not including music but for that price it's still worth the money.

I just realized we have a special forum for technical issues like sound, I'm sorry for posting this in the Civ2 General Discussion. :blush:

Top Bottom