No CD-Rom available, how to install?

PhilE

Chieftain
I have an original copy of Civ2, and I'd really like to play again on my Win11 laptop. I've seen the different links to get the 64 bit system to play the 16 bit game, but my initial issue is that my Win11 laptop does not have a CD-rom to be able to initially install the game.

Is there a way to image the disc (using older laptop w/ CD-rom) and use the image to install Civ2 on my newer laptop? I believe I also read somewhere that you can copy files from the disc to local machine, and have full operation w/o the disc, is that also true?

Hello, depends what version of the game you want to play. If MGE, it's 32 bit and here you can find my detailed instructions how to install. PM me if you have trouble 'locating' Civ2-MGE v1.0.bin file. If you want classic then also someone needs to help you 'locating' links to the files that can't be mentioned on this forum. I can't help you with ToT as I never played it.

Another method is to get an external CD drive, i have an external DVD/CD-writer from like 2005 that i use since my tower has no cd-rom or even drive bays to install one.

Yeah I've one too as you can get USB external CD/DVD drives dirt cheap on ebay these days, although making a CD image is even easier. However most CD image creator programs default to ISO format, you do NOT want that format as it doesn't rip the music tracks. Personally I use ImgBurn (it's free) set to BIN or IMG format which will rip the music tracks.

If you're going to play the original vanilla 16bit release then you'll need either WineVDM (16bit app emulator for modern OSs) or a Virtual machine (I use VirtualBox with Win XP on it as that supports HD resolutions). However as suggested above you'd be far better off acquiring the final Multiplayer Gold Edition (MGE) of Civ2 as it's 32bit which will run on modern 64bit operating systems (with a fan patch) and has everything vanilla Civ2 has plus all the patches and addon packs filled with scenarios (and many scenarios on this site require MGE). Due to the rules of this site I unfortunately can't help you acquire a copy but they're certainly 'out there' (but remember, don't get ISO format unless you're fine with no music).

If you get back into it all and have a good time we also recommend checking out Test of Time (ToT) as it contains many enhancements over regular Civ2 and there's are some utterly amazing mods and scenarios being made here for it by the community! :)

Yeah I've one too as you can get USB external CD/DVD drives dirt cheap on ebay these days, although making a CD image is even easier. However most CD image creator programs default to ISO format, you do NOT want that format as it doesn't rip the music tracks. Personally I use ImgBurn (it's free) set to BIN or IMG format which will rip the music tracks.

If you're going to play the original vanilla 16bit release then you'll need either WineVDM (16bit app emulator for modern OSs) or a Virtual machine (I use VirtualBox with Win XP on it as that supports HD resolutions). However as suggested above you'd be far better off acquiring the final Multiplayer Gold Edition (MGE) of Civ2 as it's 32bit which will run on modern 64bit operating systems (with a fan patch) and has everything vanilla Civ2 has plus all the patches and addon packs filled with scenarios (and many scenarios on this site require MGE). Due to the rules of this site I unfortunately can't help you acquire a copy but they're certainly 'out there' (but remember, don't get ISO format unless you're fine with no music).

If you get back into it all and have a good time we also recommend checking out Test of Time (ToT) as it contains many enhancements over regular Civ2 and there's are some utterly amazing mods and scenarios being made here for it by the community! :)
I'm confused with all these music playing posts. I know that it can't work without cd in MGE with FoxAhead's UI additions, but do you say it can work on vanilla without cd? Because I have Sid_Meier_s_Civilization_II_ENG.BIN file but when I enter Pick Music in Game tab it says 'This option is not available... etc.'. I tried with 1.00 version 16-Feb-96 and 2.7.8. 21-Oct-97. Please if you can help me how to get music working on vanilla.

I'm confused with all these music playing posts. I know that it can't work without cd in MGE with FoxAhead's UI additions, but do you say it can work on vanilla without cd? Because I have Sid_Meier_s_Civilization_II_ENG.BIN file but when I enter Pick Music in Game tab it says 'This option is not available... etc.'. I tried with 1.00 version 16-Feb-96 and 2.7.8. 21-Oct-97. Please if you can help me how to get music working on vanilla.
Nah I was moreso saying above if he wants to get the vanilla 16bit Civ2 working at all he'll need either WineVDM or a Virtual Machine, and to have any chance of music working he'll need the CD image to be a BIN file. However I've had problems feeding CD music track music through a virtual machine from both a real disc and a CD image so it probably won't work for others either (although I haven't tried with the latest version of VirtualBox or other VM programs). Music from a proper mounted CD image like a BIN might work with WineVDM but I haven't tried as I have no need for playing Vanilla when I have MGE. So if the later is not working for you then.. yeah.. it's sadly not looking good for getting music with old 16bit vanilla Civ2 copies on modern machines without a CD drive. Worst case scenario you get the game working and then just play the tracks off the mounted CD image using media player, or play the soundtrack off youtube while you play lol!

Last edited:
Top Bottom