Cannot Install BtS ?

Tharak

Chieftain
So - I've had this game since it came out, and have sucessfully loaded it on my laptop (last year). I have a new desktop an wanted to install the game. After wrestling with the missing .dll file issue, I've finally gotten to the point where I can load BtS - but it won't load onto my computer.

When I run the install, I get the section saying its going to verify and if necessary update my Direct X files - after a couple of minutes, the setup screen just closes, and nothing happens. I get no error message, nothing is installed - it just stops.

I've made sure I have the .dll files (I have Direct X 10, but I've installed Direct X 9c)

All my drivers are updated.

I have the latest support products for my OS (Windows XP Home edition SP 32600)

I've tried disabeling both my antivirus and my firewall.

I have installed and patched both vanilla and Warlords.

My info

Intell Quad core @ 2.40 GHz
2.0 GB Ram
GeForce 8800 GTS videocard
Over 250GB free space on my HD...

Any help?? Thanks

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    51.9 KB · Views: 56
try the following reinstall procedure - does that help (if you don't have warlords - ignore those lines)

install the most recent version of DirectX 9c from Microsoft

then do the following for a clean reinstall:

Uninstall and Reinstall Civ4 Warlords BtS :

Try to follow this order when doing stuff:
Use Control panel to uninstall Beyond the Sword, then Warlords, then Civ4
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
(note: application data is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files, also these directories in application data are sometimes removed by the uninstall routine)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}" (Civ4)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228}" (Warlords)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}" (BtS)
(note: InstallShield Installation Information is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files).
Install Civ4, immediately patch it to 1.61 (download it fresh from here)
Install Warlords, immediately patch it to 2.08 (download it fresh from here)
Install Beyond the Sword, immediately patch to 3.17 (download it fresh from here).

Sorry to butt in on a thread but I must send out my thanks for the post!!!

I've been trying to get Civ IV and Beyond the Sword work on my new Vista PC for a week with no luck until this thread!

I've read hundreds of threads with no luck so I had to voice my appreciation and also let it be known that this procedure, (skipping the DirectX 9 part), worked on a 32-bit Vista OS. ***Of course including the combatibility changes on "setup" & "Launch" applications***

Also had to delete the Civ IV & BTS folders from C:\ which contained the logs (In Windows Explorer under Program Files-FireAxis).

Anyway, thanks again for your indirect Vista troubleshooting, no issues whatsoever with the game.

BR!

I have a new Vista 64-bit system, but I cannot install BTS...the process stops without going on. Any idea ? I never tryed the solution given by ori because I got it botched from the very first attempt. By the way, I got to work CivIV v 1.74

I will translate the message from Italian:
"Application who generated the error is_7C03.exe, version 12.0.0.49985, timestamp 0x45e48de5, module who generated the error ISSetup.dll, version 12.0.0.58851, timestamp 0x45e5fb47, exception code 0xc0000005, offset error 0x0009522f, process ID 0xce8, time and data of start of the application 0x01c95af34231a5a7".
ID event: 1000
What can you tell me ?

it is a memory access violation error (see below) - but the .exe that is referenced _7C03.exe has nothing to do with the installer - so I am puzzled :dunno:

http://www.updatexp.com/0xC0000005.html

edit: oh actually it is a problem with the installshield install routine. Try the steps posted in the above link...

I tried your steps but no change, installation stops. But now the application name is "_is36FA.exe", before were "is_7C03.exe"
Any idea ?

I cannot find either of the two filenames anywhere. the ISSetup.dll is part of the installation routine used by windows - so something tries to be installed and tries to use a memory address that is not accessible. Since I cannot find those exe files anywhere I am unsure if this is actually the BtS installer or some third-party program though. What bothers me is that even using all search engines I know of I cannot find even one site that even mentions these files - so I have no idea what is going on - sorry :dunno: :sad:

Top Bottom