Capital location in mass Jungle terrain bad or good

Kokutenko

Chieftain
I play already just second or 3th time in Civ5 I am newbie and I random generated map when my Capitol is located almost all hexes in jungle.
Usually I had other terrain and I am confused play on this set up or no.
Because after I think university or something each jungle field add 2 blue bubble. And is possible make on this jungle lambermill or trading post.
So finally this fields will have 2 food 2 scince bubble 1-2 gold from trading outpost /or 1 production from lumbermill.
So sounds like very good fields but only problem I see is small food generation and small production generation because farms or mines are better maybe
I have River on this jungle location so I can remove jungle on river fields to make good food farms and save other fields with jungle. But production is problem maybe but not sure.

Any experienced gamers here to tell me general is good or bad jungle locations capital. And additional if I found jungle terrains in other main cities is better remove jungle and do farm or trading outpost on clean ground or keep all jungless and improve by lumber mill / trading outposts with this tech +2 scince from jungle fields.

Help me pls thx.

In general, jungle in capital is really bad (maybe the worst, outside of a lot of tundra). For many reasons, again in general:
1. no production - jungle gives no production, and double bad is really long to chop down (vs forest) and doesn't give a production boost when chopped
2. slows your population growth
3. Slows the movement of your units around you capitol

A little bit of jungle is ok, because once you get to universities you'll can get a cool science bonus. Jungle bananas can fix #2 above.

thanks for answer.
I won on Imperator diffculty with 3 cities and I keep this junges so it was not very bad. Supricly jungle was very good terrain with outpost and universities I have there 2 food 2 gold and 3 blue bubble. Other fields have 3-4 food 0-1 production so some gold and blue bubbles is nice to add base city.
But only 10 jungles left after I done all farms on river fields so very low number from all jungle start. So many work for my worksers.
I started played without any trading outpost and my games was week and slow tech but I just started play I done just few games starting from king diffculty to higher. And I noticed I need have some trading outpost because lack of gold !! and lack of blue bubbles for tech. So jungle is super good base for do some trade posts so now I am happy in I find some jungles but yes not so many like on all map.
Anyway is necessery to have many trading outpost in capitol or most cities? I very like big cities but always lacking gold I going to bankrupt and lacking blue bublles for fast tech. But trading outpost = less food ofc. Its like Civ4 I think with those small houses which generate gold/science dont remember english name I play in my native language.
But anyway I have over 1070+ blue bubbles from 3 cities in 1941 AD. So its good I think and my other 2 cities had some jungle field too.

Well it depends on how you are playing your civ.

I personally like jungle when going liberty at times it can be great for science but it can often lack production which is the foundation of a liberty
based game for your civ if you play liberty.

Since you are new I would recommend playing tradition building very large cities.

Where as liberty requires the micromanagement of many small cities. Often focusing production tiles rather then growth.

it really depends on the play style you intend to utilize.

Tradition is usually best and the easiest play style.

I enjoy the challenge that comes with a liberty game. Liberty usually focuses on war or culture. You can easily fall behind in science if you are not carefully.

I say the jungle is both good and bad. It all depends o how you play it.

Some times I even remove all jungle tiles for the farm and the hammer from the plains tile.

It really depends on what you intend to do.

I will say that capital surrounded by jungle is pretty well defended. Ranged units can't shoot through jungles. So they may need to put siege units adjacent to cities to attack them in jungles.

again it all depends on utilizing the terrain and your play style.

Sometimes jungles are good sometimes they are bad.

Last edited:
I often like a jungle start when playing liberty because of the science produced by the jungle tiles with universities.

2 science on every time is great.

Jungle tiles tend to lack growth only producing 2 food. This is not that great for large tradition based cities. Unless you find some food resources like bananas.

This is adequate for smaller liberty civilizations that need that 2 science per tile. Due to there lack of population.

When I play liberty I play super wide even on small maps. I settle cities for the sake of settling cities and to deny resources from enemy players.i often play with most my cities staying at 6 population until the industrial era where I let them grow to 8. Then 10 population in The modern era.

when it comes to liberty your number of cities and workable tiles is your strong suit. You should be able to produce over all more food and production then other civs winning the international games resolution and the worlds fair resolution.

this should be possible if you have a butt load of cities which is what liberty civ is ment to do.
To fail at the resolutions means you didn't grow enough in your cities and/or build wide enough.
Liberty is about over all hammers produced throughout your entire civilization where as tradition you focus on Manny hammers in a few cities.

with liberty you crate ertain cities to use certain Great people buildings.
When I play liberty I put all my artist mucian and writer buildings in different cities. Where as a tradition civ will more then likely put all these buildings in the capital.

A liberty civ is usually harder to play everything takes longer to build in each city, but over all you can get more if looking at all cities as a whole.

You just need to learn how to master the happiness system. And take advantage of it at times.

Last edited:
Liberty is my favorite play style.
I often do not finish the liberty policy tree. Unless conditions are perfect for liberty start.

The free settler and 50% production towards settler from the liberty tree can be good but it can also encourage you to build to many cities to fast.
I tend to not finish that half the tree unless near an abundance of unique resources at the start of the game.

The 1 happiness from roads is good. I usually try for the faith bonus from the piety tree. Taking the first 2 in the tree gaining 2 faith from each shrine. This is great for gaining a religion.

Religion is a great path to happiness depending on the religions perks chosen. Allowing you to build even wider.

Top Bottom