Categorizing pbem's players according to their time's abilities

niamor

Chieftain
An Idea to categorize players who want to play/organize pbem, so that everybody can arrange time's playing abilities without a Cray computer.
The matter is not to say "I live in (GMT +- x)", but "I generally can play between hh:00 and hh:00 GMT", what looks more interesting to organize a game.
And so:
* a player can say " I'm a KL+TUV player", and you know immediately in your gmt time when he can play; (i.E. in GMT+0, he can play between 20h-22h and 05h-08h)
* you can ask for a "BCD player" so that he fits well in your game, and he will recognize himself very easy
* for an inline game, you can say "playing every tuesday WXY niam's time", the game will take place between 03h-06h in GMT-5, the same as 23h-02h in GMT-09

00h and 24h are both midnight right? You have 25 hours on your chart. :mischief:

I just looked at this thread and I don't see any chart or anything in here that explains your post....
Did you mean to attach a document that simply isn't showing up properly?

HitAnyKey said:
I just looked at this thread and I don't see any chart or anything in here that explains your post....
Did you mean to attach a document that simply isn't showing up properly?

The attachment vanished from the upload.
I put it again... thx HitAnyKey, I was wondering why this thread had so little interest on it... :crazyeye:

Why not simply specify your availability times in UTC (GMT), so people can look it up using the Windows time-zone selector everyone has easily accessible from the clock on their desktop, rather than having to fish out a hard to use grid that only exists on that famous url forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=154938

Why not simply specify your availability times in UTC (GMT)
Was looking easier for me to say "I can play at R+JKL" than "I can play between 6h00 and 7h00 and then between 21h00 and 24h00, all that GMT"
so people can look it up using the Windows time-zone selector [...] rather than having to fish out a hard to use grid [...]
On this grid, you have only to look at the line which correspond to your gmt time, for everybody.
Take an example : you have to organize a pbem for 5 players. Actually they usualy only say "I'm living in GMT+-x". Ok, you extrapolate "they surely can play between 21h00-24h00 locally, so my Windows time-zone selector says between xxh00 and yyh00 GMT". You put all that on a piece of paper, and then decide who will play first and last.
With the grid, the players says "DEF", "ABC" "XYZ". You don't worry about their GMT time, you directly put "ABC" before "DEF", and that's all. And it's more logical, you put players with their real disponibility, not arguing they can play evening late.
I play some of my games at 6h00, others late evening, so saying I'm GMT+2 does not help very much.

But you are right : nobody uses this method, grids certainly frighten people (and certainly my poor english too :(). If I want that to be used, I will have to code a little python script so that nobody is afraid seeing a grid, and organize some pbem where if one don't use this method, one will play as deity instead chieftain ;)

It is not a bad idea, but it is a bit hard on the eyes. But it will be hard to get a large group to adopt it, regardless of how it looks. I think most people at this point are used to adjusting to GMT (0300-0600 myself).

Top Bottom