1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cavalry?! What for?!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Gooblah, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Kietharr

Kietharr Prince

The only mounted units I build are chariots and calvary. Chariots counter axemen well, but HAs are useless for the mostpart, far better macemen counters are available.

2. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

This makes them one of the best UUs in the game. The fact that you can promote them to Cavalry with free flanking I is uber because flanking II/combat II-IV Cavalry are some powerful units. But besides being powerful promoted units, Numidians are powerful on their own terms. Flanking II/combat I units go in first then combat II/flanking I units mop up. You can conquer a lot of territory with these guys.

While the -10% city attack is unfortunate, mounted units are still powerful attack forces. Perhaps your argument holds for horse archers--and to be honest I don't build a lot of them--but if you hit knights before your opponent has pikes or cavalry before your opponent has rifles you can blow through an opponent empire like a knife through hot butter.

3. GenocideBringer

GenocideBringer King

Don't know what all the hate is for horse archers.

A shock horse archer can kill anything save for spearmen.

It can pillage the hell out of the guy's resources, stopping him from building spears, axes, or swords

they kill groups of catapults.

4. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

the problem with horse archers is not the unit itself (I think they are pretty decent, esp in BtS) but rather the dead-end techs required to build them in a timely manner. i am usually too busy going for currency/col/monarchy/construction/calendar/cs/etc. to take a time out for hbriding/archery, especially when my other military units take care of any problems I'm having.

however, if I am mongolia or carthage OR if I don't have iron/copper/ivory then I will plan to make them.

5. civfan2.0

civfan2.0 Chieftain

all i say is if the enemy has spearmen take em out with swordsmen Then move in the horses

6. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

Hmmm...As far as i can tell, cavalry appear to be good if promo'ed properly (i.e. Flanking I/II and/or Combat II-IV). In Warlords, they also counter axes. They are good for mopping up battlegrounds and pillaging, as well as high-speed worker capture. All in all, i have learned a lot of new strategies for them.
    Thanks a lot, all...
    Gooblah

7. GenocideBringer

GenocideBringer King

Well, for one, you need Horseback Riding for war elephants, too. Secondly, you can trade HBR for the other techs you need.

8. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

You don't need HBR for elephants! Just construction and hunting (for the camp). It's handy for stables though.

9. mudphud

mudphud Warlord

The horse archer's ability to flank attack cats and trebs can be nice when your opponent is pulling up next to your city with a stack of 8+ trebs. I do often get HRB late when it doesn't take long to research or grab it off someone in exchange for peace but even at that point a few horse archers but they rarely make up a significant part of my army.

10. Percy

Percy Cow who laughs

In BtS at least, you need HBR, Construction, and Ivory.

You actually need HBR for every unit riding a horse, i believe. That's true for Knights, Cuirassiers, and Cavalry (and their Unique versions, i presume).

11. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Righto. I haven't got BtS.

In warlords you don't need HBR for chariots (including war chariots and immortals) and elephants but you do for everything else.

That kind of nerfs dumbo then in BtS.

12. popejubal

popejubal Emperor

What if you don't have any Baptists available? They're not an especially common resource.

13. BronzeAge

BronzeAge Chieftain

I suggest you take a close look at the true strength of mounted units from any one of Obsolete's walkthroughs. There is far more to them than just counter-attacking stacks.

14. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Second BronzeAge's post...although I haven't gone through those walkthroughs, I tend to use mounted units whenever I can. They have a mobility advantage to die for, and typically your enemy does not mass spearmen unless it is a UU. Counterattacking, pillaging, and city attacking after softening up with siege equipment are all typical uses for cavalry in my game.

I'll also use cavalry to hunt down enemy cavalry that try to pillage in my lands...sometimes, they manage to evade my spears by appearing on the frontiers, pillaging, and then running away before I can catch them.