1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cedric Greene's MGE patch on XP

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by our_man, Jun 18, 2002.

1. our_man

our_man Chieftain

Well alright starlifter, you were right and I was wrong. The reason why I was so dogged in my determination to get both patches to work is because, like Mercator, I have the nolimits patch and the CDcrack for ToT working together, so I automatically assumed that I would be able to do so for MGE as well.

2. starlifter

starlifter Chieftain

Actually, the most important thing to me is for anyone who reads this thread to realize there is a risk to applying a double patch.... a good cracker will do a checksum, or some other method of verifying the target file is unmodified by any other means (e.g., original).

In all seriousness, you can use Softice to make a patch for a patched EXE, but that's really beyond the scope of this Forum. You can also use a Hex editor and edit the .EXE by hand and take a chance. All you need to do is replace the CD accesses with NOPs. But it can take a while to test and get it right, if working from scratch :).

3. DonStamos

DonStamos Mobster Inc©

This is my first post here, but I downloaded your patch for CivII just the way you said to do it, but I can't get it to work. I have folders for each of the parts of the patch, and three of them are empty. When I went into the third part's folder, it had an icon to start CivII, but when I clicked it, it said xdaemon.dll was not found. I downloaded it from your post, then tried again(after placing the file in the CivII folder), and it still didn't work. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I have Windows 98 Second Edition and Civ 2.4.2(I think). Could you please help??????