Charlemagne Question

EDaddy

Warlord
Ok, I love this scenario very much! But how do you get favor with the pope? It seems to me that its a random event unless you declare war on Saladin. How do you get favor points with the pope and also how doyou prevent your pope score from going down?

The best way to gain favor seems to be to just give the pope money. You get one point of favor for every 20 gold you give. Other ways to gain favor are to give the pope units, control cities with catholicism, and build temples, monasteries, and cathedrals. You can win the scenario quickly just by going 100% gold and giving it all away.

I won the scenario at the Prince level but it never occurred to me to give the Pope money. I never went to war with Saladin either but gained great favor with the Pope by building Christian buildings and spreading the Religion to all my cities and a few Muslim cities on the continent. (Strangely enough the Anglo-Saxons were also Muslim.) A key is to gain favor early by spreading your Religion. The free pike units then give you a secure start while you can concentrate on expansion and growth.

You can also gain favor by gifting the Relics to the Pope. Two of them spawned in my short game. I declared war on Saladin just for the favor points, returned the two relics, and conquered about 6 cities and built Christian buildings in them. I was unpleasantly shocked at how quickly I won (Monarch). It didn't take much at all.

Your favor with the Pope will go down if you raze Christian cities and conquer Christian civs. I'm guessing that you gain favor if you raze Islam cities and eliminate their civs.

How do you get to saladin to recalim the relics? I'm playingas Charlemagne, and it seems like the only way to launch a proper crusade is to carve a bloody path down into the mediterranean, capture some costal cities, and then use those cities to build a huge fleet of galleys.

My wording was bad. I declared war on Saladin just for the military alliance points. The Relics I received came from the mainland, not from Saladins lands. One of the Relics spawned in one of my cities :eek: The other one appeared in a neighboring civ.

Spreading Christianity will quickly earn you the favor of the pope. I think people don't like doing this because they would rather build military units than missionaries, but the free papal pikemen make it worth it.

It is important to get high favor, but that isn't hard if you just spread Christianity and build those buildings. Also, if you lose cities w/ the buildings, you lose papal favor.

Top Bottom