Chichan Itza!

TeraHammer said:
My goal is to make one world trip visiting al civ4 wonders :crazyeye:

You might have a bit of trouble with the Hanging Gardens. I don't think anyone today knows for sure where these were, how they were constructed or what they looked like, exactly. :crazyeye:

I went to Chichen Itza in 2004, the last year you could climb it. It's not tiring, but damn it's steep. Going up isn't a big deal, but getting down can be a chore, especialy if you are afraid of heights!

Check out my pics...most of them are from Chichen Itza...

http://nardvark.com/mexico/

No pics, alas (no digital camera) but I've seen the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Versailles, the Statue of Liberty (from an aeroplane), Scotland Yard (the original and New), Oxford University (nothing like its Civ4 version), the Globe Theatre (being reconstructed, so really all I saw was a building site) and the Hermitage (which isn't utterly spectacular from the outside, but houses an art collection which, it is said, would take over a year to look at every picture). The Summer Palace, the Peterhof, is much prettier than the Hermitage and has a vast frontage which at least rivals Versailles.
Anybody got photos of Angkor Wat ? Anybody managed the whole set ? - well, those Wonders still extant.

Edit: forgot to mention Stonehenge. Been there too.

I was at Chichen Itza aaaages ago. Did you know there's an old NES game based there? Role Playing Game called "Tombs and Treasures." Really crap game, but still fun because its all Chichen-Itza-y.

Did you do the thing where you get a whole bunch of people to stand at the bottom of the temple and clap at the same time? If you get enough people to clap, the way the sound hits the temple it comes back to your ear as the sound of an eagle. It is really cool :D

BeefontheBone said:
I've got a picture of me at the Colossus around here somewhere
The Colossus has been gone for centuries, so either you're high, or you're talking about the roller coaster. :p

The wonder I most want to see IRL is the Three Gorges Dam (when it's finished.)

Mathemagician13 said:
I was at Chichen Itza aaaages ago. Did you know there's an old NES game based there? Role Playing Game called "Tombs and Treasures." Really crap game, but still fun because its all Chichen-Itza-y.

Did you do the thing where you get a whole bunch of people to stand at the bottom of the temple and clap at the same time? If you get enough people to clap, the way the sound hits the temple it comes back to your ear as the sound of an eagle. It is really cool :D

We didn't do but there was another group that did it, and yes it was really cool.

Angkor Wat and the Forbiden City.

Attachments

• cambodia3.jpg
    cambodia3.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 284
  • china_195.jpg
    china_195.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 318
Chichen Itza was my favorite part of my honeymoon...well, you know, favorite place we visited...

Anyway...

About the Hanging Gardens, some scholars think they were a myth, so visiting them will be even harder than you thought, Velvet Glove.

Wow, judging from that first photo, Chitzen-itza is a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

fugazi said:
but didn't the colossos fall into sea after a major earthquake hit the region?
Civ4 wonders that no longer exist in real life:

* The Colossus (earthquake)
* The Great Lighthouse (earthquake, maybe)
* The Temple of Solomon (destroyed by Romans)
* The Great Library (fire)
* The Globe Theatre (fire; rebuilt in 1997)
* The Hanging Gardens (???)

I read in the book "Landscape and Memory" by Simon? Schama that after the Colusses fell (onto the ground), it was still a famous and often visited landmark of ancient times, even as it lay in pieces.

Ogrelord said:
Really nice, the pics are huge! you might want to use thumbnails.
How come there is a chain across the stairs? you can't climb up Chichen Itza? :(

On a related note, i can't wait till this movie comes out..

Might I ask what movie you are referring to?

Interestingly, both the Great Library & the Great Lighthouse were in Alexandria, Egypt. The Lighthouse was destroyed after 2 earthquakes, both in Medieval times. Also interestingly, the oldest of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World (the Pyramids) was the only one to survive to the present day.

Near the site of the original Great Library is the Bibliotheca Alexandrina, which opened in 2003; its official website is www.bibalex.org As for the Colossus, some people in recent years have proposed that it be rebuilt, but other people deem it too cost-prohibitive, both time-wise & money-wise.

Roxtar said:
Also interestingly, the oldest of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World (the Pyramids) was the only one to survive to the present day.
Not that big a surprise...after all, it's just a big pile of stinkin' ROCKS. :lol:

Helmling said:
That pic's from Apocalypto, the new flick from Mel Gibson.
The Passion of the Myans? Hmmm.

Top Bottom