Civ 2 64 bit

Darquan

Chieftain
hi, ive recently installed 64 bit windows and now can't install civ 2 anymore :( from the cd i get the message 'the image file d:\setup.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other then the current machine'. I can copy and paste the whole game to my hard drive and can only load single player games and not create them or play multiplayer atall, when i try the game crashes saying theres an error in civ2.exe does anyone know if there is a way to make multiplayer games work or overcome the 64 bit incompatabilty?

Darquan said:
hi, ive recently installed 64 bit windows and now can't install civ 2 anymore :( from the cd i get the message 'the image file d:\setup.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other then the current machine'. I can copy and paste the whole game to my hard drive and can only load single player games and not create them or play multiplayer atall, when i try the game crashes saying theres an error in civ2.exe does anyone know if there is a way to make multiplayer games work or overcome the 64 bit incompatabilty?
You need to play Civ2 MGE or ToT on Win64 because previous versions are 16-bit and not compatible with Win64

i have ultimate classic collection which ive upgraded with civ mge files to multiplayer, should this work?
thx for the help :)

Darquan said:
i have ultimate classic collection which ive upgraded with civ mge files to multiplayer, should this work?
thx for the help :)
Technically it should, I have yet to try and install any versions of Civ since upgrading to x64 but supposedly they should run.

i did the same install i used to with ultimate civ and those patches but only loading single player games works..very odd. Ill try to get hold of a civ gold cd probably the easist way ;)

Darquan said:
i did the same install i used to with ultimate civ and those patches but only loading single player games works..very odd. Ill try to get hold of a civ gold cd probably the easist way ;)
Just installed Civ2 MGE and ToT and you are correct. The games will load ok but when it comes time to put in your name (whether network name or king's name) it crashes to the desktop. This is VERY unfortunate and will involve me making a dual boot system so I can play Civ2 and finish the patches.

I wonder now that its moving into September, if anyone has found any work arounds or quick fixes to get Civ 2 running on XP 64bit. Maybe there is a 16 bit virtual machine that can run windows programs? Anyone have any luck or ideas? Maybe we can come up with something...

Tell me, have you tried an emulator of some sorts.

For instance MS VirtualPC.

Top Bottom