Civ 3 Tutorial Video Series

anyoldguy

Chieftain
I'm going to be making a series of Civ 3 tutorials on YouTube, and I've written a script for the first video in the series. It introduces new players to the Civ 3 menus and guides them through the process of setting up their first game. Here is the Google Doc with the script on it, if you'd like to view it there, and here it is in a spoiler for those who don't like Docs.

Spoiler :
[main menu screen]

Hello everybody! It is I, the Emperor, and this is the first tutorial on how to play Sid Meier’s Civilization 3.

Today I’m going to help you setup your first game of Civ 3. You’ll see all these menu options, but this video is just for getting you into your first game, so I won’t go into detail about them here.

So let’s go ahead and double-click “New Game.”
[loading bar appears]
It’ll load for a bit...
[world setup screen appears]
And we’re into the world setup screen.

Here you can define the type and size of the landmasses of your world:
A pangaea world will have almost all the land in one big glob, a continents world will have two major bodies of land, and an archipelago world will have many smaller landmasses.
Then you can decide what percentage of the world should be covered with water.

Down here, in the bottom left, you can decide on the climate of your world. Arid will lead to a very dry world, with a lot of barren terrain. Humid will do the opposite, giving you a very wet world with a lot of vegetation. Normal will give you a mix of both.

Here, in the bottom middle, we have some temperature options. A warm temperature will yield more deserts and jungles while reducing the amount of tundra and taiga forests. A cool temperature will do the opposite, and a temperate climate will give you a mix of both.

On the bottom right, you can select the geologic age of your world. The younger your world, the more tectonic activity you’ll have; which means more mountain ranges and more active volcanoes. The older your world, the lesser tectonic activity you’ll have; resulting in fewer mountain ranges and fewer active volcanoes.

Finally, you can determine the level of barbarian activity. Barbarians are uncivilized tribes of raiders who will attack anybody they come across. Choosing sedentary barbarian activity means that they won’t come out and attack you, while choosing raging activity means that you’ll have to watch your back constantly. But don’t worry; on the lower difficulties, barbarians are no match for your glorious, civilized forces.

Let’s just leave all of these settings as they are, and let’s continue to the next screen. Interestingly enough, the default settings for the world are based off of our own planet Earth.

[civilization screen appears]

Now, let’s choose a civilization and set the rules for the game:

In Civilization 3, civilizations each have two traits, which give them certain advantages in different aspects of gameplay. The traits include Agricultural, Commercial, Expansionist, Industrious, Militaristic, Religious, Scientific, and Seafaring. Each has subtle effects that are better-understood once you’ve familiarized yourself with the game, so I won’t go into detail on them here.
Each civilization also has a unique unit, which replaces one of the generic units with a slightly superior one only available to that civilization. As there are 31 civilizations in the game, an overview of unique units would take too long, and I won’t go into them here.

On the whole, Greece, Babylon, Zululand, and Sumeria are good civilizations to play as a beginner. They all have traits that are beneficial early-on, and all of their unique units are available from very early-on in the game, giving you that competitive edge right from the start.

So, below the civilizations you’ll see the rules for the game. There are six ways to achieve victory by default. The first, conquest, is to eliminate all of the other civilizations in your game. The next, domination, is to control a certain percentage of the world area and population. These are both 66 percent by default. The next, cultural, is to achieve a certain amount of cultural advancement, either in a single city or in your whole empire. Next, a diplomatic victory can be won by being elected head of the United Nations. You can also win a Space Race victory by sending a completed spaceship to the star system Alpha Centauri. Finally, you can win a histograph victory by having the highest score when the turns for the game run out.

In the complete edition of Civ 3, two additional victory conditions are present. One is a wonder victory, which you achieve by building a certain number of wonders, and the other is a victory point victory, which you achieve by amassing the requisite number of victory points through various means. These are more advanced, however, and they are not checked by default.

The other options on the rules checklist all affect gameplay, but not nearly as much as the victory conditions, so I won’t go into those here. We’ll just leave all of the rules as default.

Finally, select your difficulty. If Civ 3 is your first strategy game, like it was for me, then I’d roll with chieftain difficulty. There’s no shame in humble beginnings. If you’re a veteran strategy gamer, you might be able get away with a higher difficulty setting.

Anyway, that’s it for this tutorial video! If you want to learn more about Civ 3, just visit civfanatics.com (link will be in the description); it’s a great resource for anybody interested in the series. I hope you enjoyed this video, and I will see you next time in my “Opening Moves” tutorial. Happy Civving!

My alias on my YouTube channel is "Emperor," in case you're wondering why I refer to myself as that. Please let me know what you think, especially if I've mischaracterized some aspect of the game.

Go for it!

I'm bad about having ideas and not following through. I've made some videos about installing Civ3 and some extras on Win7, and I made one video turnlog, but I had the idea of doing a series myself and then promptly didn't do it and have resolutely continued to not do it for a year and a half now.

My thoughts, which aren't necessarily right or good or for anyone else, is that videos about gameplay should be focused and short. As far as your current script, I'm not sure how I would or wouldn't do an intro / game-start video, so I'm not making any suggestions to alter yours.

In making my turnlog I was reminded that my play style is to over-think everything every turn which makes for very slow play and tedious video. It was a lot of editing to get my turnlog down to a watchable length, and if you're not interested in my trading sequences it's probably way too long as it is. If I were to ever actually get around to making more videos they would be scripted--not necessarily word-for-word, but at least storyboarded/outlined--and probably practiced to illustrate a concept; I would not be discovering anything new or making a decision while the video is capturing, and I wouldn't be past using the Civ editor to contrive a situation that helps illustrate my intended point. That would make video editing much more reasonable. In my turnlog I had an idea of what I wanted to do and say the first turn, but after that every move was a new discovery as opposed to a pre-scripted event.

Here are bits from a couple of posts in another thread where we talked about video ideas:

I've been wondering if the war academy, strategy articles, tech support and forum index posts (index of TDGs, index of notable SGs or stories, etc) could be updated and supplemented with fresh content like instructional videos and dynamic web interfaces.

It has since occurred to me that short videos on micromanaging, opening moves, settler pumps, etc. might be of use to new or returning Civ3 players.

I would very much enjoy some videos focusing on different aspects of the game. There are already some good "Let's play CIV3" on youtube, but if someone could make some videos that are shorter and informative that would have been awesome. I agree with CommandoBob, I learned a lot from for exampel Cracker's opening turns article(http://www.civfanatics.com/content/civ3/strategy/cracker/civ3_starts/index.htm), but it would be even better to actually watch it and have someone comment on why do you this and what is the benefit of that. That could make the game easier to learn and therefore maybe get more players. CIV3 is also a very timeless game, so I think it's definitely worth to do some upgrading in the WA and add some videos, because I think people will discover this game over and over again. I watched your video and it was very good, Puppeteer! :) A lot of the articles in the WA are for vanilla and ptw versions, maybe someone could update some of the articles to conquest as well. I also would like to see a walkthrough/overview of each civ in conquest, similar to the article that exist for vanilla. That would have been great!

Those quoted posts are exactly what I had in mind when I decided to write the first script. Civ 3 was somewhat confusing for me to get into (granted, I was 11, so that may have had something to do with it), but it would have helped me a ton to have some tutorial videos for the basics.

Once I iron out the basic tutorial videos, I plan to go back and make more in-depth guides or walkthroughs on various topics (or even whole games!).

I do agree with you that the tutorials should be short, but I think that longer videos are fine for more advanced topics or gameplay. While new or would-be civvers will have much shorter attention spans for tutorial videos, I think people who really want to up their civ game or just enjoy civ would be willing to sit through half-hour videos (I know I would).

Thank you for the feedback!

I just read the thread; there were some good ideas there. I won't jump into that stuff from the outset, though. I want to give the players a basic understanding of how to play the game without overwhelming them with information. That way, they can learn for themselves what works for them and what doesn't, which I think is one of the most fun parts about Civ 3 :D

Eventually, though, I plan to make more in-depth videos for specific topics (i.e. worker automation).

Top Bottom