Civ 4 Guide - Creating A New Technology

I'm new at, and I can't get the mod to work! the game starts up fine and works fine, but none of the techs are spread out, and my new tech i added (swordplay), isn't there! I have swordplay after bronze-working, and req. for iron working (so right before), and all my spacing is correct, and I don't know whats wrong. It doesn't even show up in the Civlopedia. HELP! thanks

- Ace

I'm new at this, and I can't get my new tech to work! The game starts up fine and works fine, but none of the techs are spread out(like i made it), and my new tech i added (swordplay), isn't there! I have swordplay after bronze-working, and it's req. for iron working (so right before), and all my spacing is correct, and I don't know whats wrong. It doesn't even show up in the Civlopedia. HELP! thanks
EDIT: should I have it, in the XML file, after horseback riding (since that is available to discover after bronze-working) or after, since mine is directly related to bronze-working and iron-working???
- Ace

EDIT: sorry for the double post. this post is the correct one

Yep, I'm having the same problem, thought I had followed this tute to the letter but perhaps I've missed something, probably justa mod newbie mistake.

Am at this moment redoing the whole thing from scratch to see if it works. If not I'm going to cry lol:lol:

amen. bout 60% though it.

Well I follwed the tute exactly from start to finish again and double checked but absoloutely nothing shows up, either on the tech tree or in the civilopaedia. I played a quick game, well not really played, just clicked on the tech that should have lead to mine and clicked end turn until it was researched, but it never came up:mad: . Either I'm missing something or this tutorial is :blush: :crazyeye:

I want communism as a prereq tech, it currently does not lead to anything. Would that be a part of it?? or should that not matter.

Veru confused and starting to get discouraged.:( :( :(

see your pm mate :)

Well, next attempt was to change the prereq tech but still no go. And the posts here seemed to have dried up:sad: And I am no closer to this solution.

Have attached all relevant files apart form the art files, though can do that on request.

Hopefully someone is kind enough to help us:confused:

Attachments

• screweduptech.zip
    354.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Technologies.zip
    10.1 KB · Views: 237
ph the tech is called Stalinism

GrinningMonk said:
Well, next attempt was to change the prereq tech but still no go. And the posts here seemed to have dried up:sad: And I am no closer to this solution.

Have attached all relevant files apart form the art files, though can do that on request.

Hopefully someone is kind enough to help us:confused:

I haven't edited techs but
Code:
<AndPreReqs>
	<PrereqTech></PrereqTech>
</AndPreReqs>
is at the minimum unnecessary and at the most what's causing your problem. Replace it with <AndPreReqs/>

Well I dont really know what fixed it but it is working now lol thanks to those who helped...all 2 of you :blush: see attached pics.

Just need to fine tune it now. But just a couple more stupid questions.

How do I get rid of that TEXT_KEY_TECH_STALINISM bit in the science advisir screen(pic 2)so it just reads Stalinism like the other techs. I'm such a dumbass sometimes.:cry:

Secondly, how would I set the tech to disable something like open borders or trade routes? I would like the tech to reflect the iron curtain status of the soviet union of the time. Is there such a thing as negative modifiers in fields such as <iTradeRoutes>0</iTradeRoutes> ???

Attachments

• stalin1.jpg
    stalin1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 269
  • stalin2.jpg
    stalin2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 294
GrinningMonk said:
Well I dont really know what fixed it but it is working now lol thanks to those who helped...all 2 of you :blush: see attached pics.

Just need to fine tune it now. But just a couple more stupid questions.

How do I get rid of that TEXT_KEY_TECH_STALINISM bit in the science advisir screen(pic 2)so it just reads Stalinism like the other techs. I'm such a dumbass sometimes.:cry:

Secondly, how would I set the tech to disable something like open borders or trade routes? I would like the tech to reflect the iron curtain status of the soviet union of the time. Is there such a thing as negative modifiers in fields such as <iTradeRoutes>0</iTradeRoutes> ???

<Type>TECH_STALINISM</Type>
<Description>Stalinism</Description>
<Civilopedia>Stalinism</Civilopedia>
<Help/>
<Strategy>Stalinism</Strategy>

Anytime you use TXT_KEY. You need an entry in the text objects file. The best thing to do is change them all in the tech as decribed and you are set.

Excellent, thank you. Looks much better now.

I raided a couple of sites for appropriate pics, that one coming from marxistarchive.org. I unpaked all the art files and copied the art/interface/buttons directory to my mod, including all buttons which isnt really nessessary but helped in figureing things out.

I use photoshop and for some previous game related reason had a dds plugin for it. I open an existing icon, got the relevant pixel sizes (not including the icon border) which is about 57x57. I then copied a square section of the pic i wanted, resized it to 57x57, copied again and pasted it over the original icon file and moved it into the correct position.

I then flattened the image and saved it as Stalinism.dds and put it in the <yourmod>\art\interface\buttons\technologies(??? ithink) folder and made sure the main tech xml file pointed at it and voila she worked, infact that was the easiest part of the process for me. Pm me if you need any further details.

GrinningMonk said:

IIRC iTradeRoutes is a modifier to trade routes per city, you may want to test this to see if reaching a value below 0 available routes will cause errors. 2 will add 2 routes per city, -1 should remove 1 route per city.

bOpenBordersTrading however is a boolean value(0 or 1), to disable open borders you will likely have to dig into python.

you may want to test this to see if reaching a value below 0 available routes will cause errors. 2 will add 2 routes per city, -1 should remove 1 route per city.

Hmmm yeah thats what i was thinking but hadnt gotten to experimenting with that yet as i wasnt really sure what a negative modifier would do to the game, so i threw the question out there.

I havent gotten to python yet, that will come later i believe once i am more comfortable with the xml bits first.

Cheers mate :)

I've added five techs, X1 - X5, each Xn has Xn-1 as a prereq.
All well so far.
However, as I take a look at them in the pedia,

Xn is said to lead to Xn+2, and the opposite (Xn-2 is a prereq to Xn)
Ive checked and doublechecked for typos, but alas, none are to be found.
My first though was that it thad to do with how they were ordered in the file, but from what I understtod that only applies when dealing with multiple prereqs..
Anyways, theyre ordered:
Xn
Xn+1
....and so on.
Have I done any obvious error?

Top Bottom