Civ 4 lag

8ball19772

Chieftain
I got Civ 4 installed on a laptop running Windows 10 that has integrated graphics.I have lag when I try to play a game this is without running it on steam.How can I fix this lag? I have civ 5 on steam and the game runs smooth.I tried running civ 4 in windows xp compatibility mode and that didn't work.I just want to get this running without steam.

I just want to get this running without steam.
What do you meant by this? You either have Civ IV on steam, or you don't.

Run in Win 7 compatibility mode.

If you have the Steam version of BTS, then steam must be running to play the game. You can launch the game from the bts.exe though (and you should)

IV has a notorious memory leak, but that should not affect you immediately. More like 30 minutes to an hour depending on your machine specs. ALT+TAB outta the game will give some relief once it starts slowing down.

If you are experiencing lag outta the gate then something else is wrong here.

IV has a notorious memory leak, but that should not affect you immediately. More like 30 minutes to an hour depending on your machine specs. ALT+TAB outta the game will give some relief once it starts slowing down.

There are programs like Process Lasso by Bitsum that will monitor the Civ IV executable and trim the memory once a threshold is met. I have Process Lasso installed and set a memory limit of 820mb, and it forces Civ IV to release memory periodically throughout the game to mitigate the memory leak.

Top Bottom