Civ 4 on Linux Mint

tomarcher1024

Chieftain
Hi,
I am trying to get Civ 4 to work on Linux using Steam/Proton. I am running Mint 21 via VirtualBox. I have installed Virtual Box additions so it should give me OpenGL accelerated graphics but it is still pretty slow.
Any hints on how I can make this work a bit better? I'd like to have a VM which I can run Civ 4 on, but a bit loath to go back to running it via a Windows one.

If I understand correctly, you have a VM running linux mint running proton. Why not just run proton on the host machine?
Either way, are you actually sure the VM picks up the GPU? Check system information.

Wow, so many words I don't understand. :lol:

(Not that I have to since the message wasn't for me...)

Hi,
I am trying to get Civ 4 to work on Linux using Steam/Proton. I am running Mint 21 via VirtualBox. I have installed Virtual Box additions so it should give me OpenGL accelerated graphics but it is still pretty slow.
Any hints on how I can make this work a bit better? I'd like to have a VM which I can run Civ 4 on, but a bit loath to go back to running it via a Windows one.
I play CIV IV on a linux machine using ProtonDB in Steam. There's no need for a VM so long as it's installed correctly. Different distros seem to do better with CIV IV out of the box. Do you have any prompts for errors during installation?

Top Bottom