Civ 5 experience like early days of vanilla Civ 4

misterhamtastic

Chieftain
I think that my beefs with Civ 5 are the same ones that existed when Civ 4 came out and I was all hopped up on Civ 3 mods.

Look at it. There's alot of potential in there. Pretty graphics, some new tactical problems from the land unit becomes it's own transport and what not.

It's not the Civ we're used to, where you have 57 cities and you contemplate sending your massive land army to invade. Units last more than one turn, usually, so you build fewer.

As it stands, I think it has a bit too strong a focus on being an economics simulation, but then again, what else is there to ruling a civilization in real life? Maybe that's the issue, too much of the real. Maybe we need a "realism slider". :p

For now, I'm going to keep playing with FFH2 and mod civ4 to death, and hold off playing until some cool mods or something comes out. It is interesting, though. :)

No.

It's not just the AI or the bugs.

The very basics of the game: tile yields and buildings/wonders offer too little benefit; while the drawbacks of growing population and conquering cities are too big.

This smothers the "fun" of the game and the desire to "play one more turn".

To fix it, you'll need to revise all tile yields, buildings, and then happiness; and the AI weight for all three of these too.

Suppose you do; even then, your mod will have to gain a very wide popularity among the Civ players before it can fill the gap.

There are some systemic problems in most aspects of the game design and given that most of the next three months will be bug fixing I don't see them ever getting entirely fixed. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't see all the despair here, really revamping all the tile output would
barely take a days worth of time for some designer over at firaxis, it's merely
a matter of enough people sending in this copmlaint, more effectively in the form
of several dozen emails and letters to them demanding that the output system
be overhauled.

For me the changes in tile yields, production wonder benefits do work - mostly. There is some need for changes, but not at a systematic level. I specially love the way production is slow in the beginning and strong later in the industrial age. This gives a long arc in the development of my civilization that i welcome.

This game suffers a lot from some overpowered game mechanics like maritime food - but even here i think it will be possible to correct this with minor changes - be it an AI that is more active in this respect, be it a game mechanic like the need of a trade connection to the city state to get the food. Even the changes from patch 1.0.0.62 did add a lot to gameplay.

So i agree with OPs last sentence... :)

I do remember Civ III vanilla. The corruption to hinder ICS was a real pain. Thats what i call an unfun broken game mechanics. I see no such thing in Civ V though there is definitely need for improvement...

Top Bottom