Civ Patch 1.61 Issue, Disapearing Terrain

xguild

Chieftain
Hey Guys

I have a Alienware PC, top of the line, no need to post stats it suffices to say its a super Machine.

The game has run and continues to run fine up ot Patch 1.52. Since the release and udpate of the new patch I'm having two major issues.

Issue 1.
Disapearing special terrains. I'm not sure if this is a graphical glitch or what, but for some reason in all the games I play under patch 1.61 all special terrains (Cows, Forests, Jungle, horses, etc..) are not visible, although mechanicaly still functional, meaning I can still build farms for example even though I don't see them graphicaly. This problem disapears when I install the game and use patch 1.52 and reapears when I use patch 1.61 so I know it is an issue with the patch itself. I updated my graphic drivers just to be sure and tried two full reinstalls.

Any suggestions?

Issue 2.
Since patch 1.61 I'm no longer able to rejoin games in progress. If I get dropped and try to renter a multiplayer game or load a saved game the game simply crashes to desktop. Again, I have no problems under patch 1.52, as soon as I install the new patch this issue rears its ugly head.

For the most part this patch has completetly ruined my gaming experiance as I can neither play Multiplayer games or really even single player games under the new patch. Thankfully reinstalling the game under the old patch allows me to play the game single player without issue but since you can't join multiplayer games with an outdated patch I'm screwed on that front.

Any advice or things I could try would be greatly appriciated.

just because its an alienware pc doesnt mean its a super dupa machine. i dont like them to be honest.

Post your dxdiag using the go advaced button below please

civ_god06 said:
just because its an alienware pc doesnt mean its a super dupa machine. i dont like them to be honest.

Post your dxdiag using the go advaced button below please

I like it.

How can we help you if you don't post your DXDIAG!

Issue 1 is a deliberate anti-piracy measure triggered by using a pirated copy of the game or a no-cd crack. Don't use these and you won't have this problem. I don't know about issue 2.

MrCynical said:
Issue 1 is a deliberate anti-piracy measure triggered by using a pirated copy of the game or a no-cd crack. Don't use these and you won't have this problem. I don't know about issue 2.

Ah thank that solved the problem. I was using a No CD Hack so that I didn't have to switch CD's all the time. With the CD in the drive it works fine.

Disapearing special terrains. I'm not sure if this is a graphical glitch or what, but for some reason in all the games I play under patch 1.61 all special terrains (Cows, Forests, Jungle, horses, etc..) are not visible, although mechanicaly still functional, meaning I can still build farms for example even though I don't see them graphicaly. This problem disapears when I install the game and use patch 1.52 and reapears when I use patch 1.61 so I know it is an issue with the patch itself. I updated my graphic drivers just to be sure and tried two full reinstalls.

I have this issue too.

I bought the game, and installed it on my desktop computer. I then installed it on my laptop to take with me when I am out of town on business. I have the same exact graphics glitch as described above.

I am not pirating anything. I payed full price for both Civ4 and the Warlords expansion. How do I fix my graphics?

Thanks in advance for any help. I can play the game, but the livestock missing and only shadow showing is irritating.

Here is my dxdiag file:
View attachment DxDiag.txt

You may have purchased the game but are you using a no cd crack so you dont have to insert the disk to play?

Edit: your video card is also below requirements as it only has 32mb or memory.

I have the original cd in the cdrom drive. I have not downloaded any cracks of any sort. I have installed the patch that the game installs when you connect to Game-something over the internet for the first time.

You are right, it only has 32meg memory on the video card... interesting. I never noticed that. My desktop has 64meg and the laptop has always had better graphics. You think the memory could be why the livestock arent showing?

The video card driver is quite old. Try to find newer drivers. Your sound drivers are really ancient. But as long as they're not causing trouble, well, you don't have to update them.

Can you post a screenshot of your problem?

OK here is a screenshot...

You can see in the center of the screen, the terrain just south of the mountain looks like little shrubs... thats what Jungle terrain appears as.

SW and west of the incorrect Jungle terrain, you see 3 shadows on the west square and 4 shadows on the SW square... those are livestock. The SW is horses, the west one is cows.

Thanks again for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

MrCynical said:

I have the original game and I use no hacks at all. I don't even know what they are, but I have had this problem since the first patch, or at least that's when I noticed it for the first time. I have to have the disc in to play the game.

The animations work fine until any of my units cross them or a city is built close to them, then poof.

@Moonie: Aha, that's just a temporary glitch, happens to me as well. Disappearing livestock, only shadows remaining... This tends to get worse the longer you play, I guess. Yeah. If this bothers you that much, you can experiment with different graphics details (e.g., from low details to medium).

Top Bottom