Civ V Beta 1

Yes indeed. In fact, this would make someone trying such a strategy come out much worse than breaking even, since the increase in policy cost is based additively on 30% of the base culture, while losing 30% of your excess culture is based multiplicatively on your number of cities.

However, I'm concerned that it could be unfairly devastating for someone attempting a legitimate cultural win who just happens to lose a city to an aggressive AI.

I believe they call that "assumption of risk". If you are going to hoard your culture points and not spend them, then you are taking the tactical risk of losing them if your cities get taken from you.

I just got a Cultural victory as Ghandi yesterday, so I'll be throwing my hat in the ring here.

Just finished my game.

Cultural victory on turn 470, 2035 AD.

Starting save and turn after victory save attached.

Attachments

• HoF-culture-arabia-4000BC.Civ5Save
    320.3 KB · Views: 112
  • HoF-culture-arabia-victory.Civ5Save
    747.9 KB · Views: 132
I think I'll sit out this one. I recently won a Cultural victory as with India, and am currently going for a Diplomatic victory with Arabia, so doing a Cultural as Arabia would be far too similar to my last two games.

Ok, I gave it a go, and I won by Culture Victory. My first win so far, (out of 4 games total). However I was far from being better at anything other than culture I was 4th in everything except approval on the demographics lol :D.

But all I was aiming for was culture, 1 City, never settled another, never annexed another, starting position was landlocked so I never built a ship, never explored the other landmasses (So I only met 5 CityStates, fortunately three were cultural.) Eventually after Japan had taken over nearly the entire continent, I built a little army and completely took over the continent, lots of puppets ftw, (Japan surrendered and offered me lots of cities eventually, I thought they solved this imbalance, but meh, I would have took them all anyway.)
Later on, Siam got warmongery and attacked me (at this point I had sold off all units because of Japan's little City throwing at me), So over the next few thousand years Siam and myself played tug of war with the many cities of the continent. He built a huge army and came at me several times but I just about held it together, and then near the end I bee-lined to flight, and busied myself experimenting with aircraft, I like the new mechanic, its cool. I also expiremented with strategic view (using my fighters to just pound on some cities) whilst waiting for the utopia project to complete. :p.
Some good fun.

Completed the following tree's for cultural win, I will leave out the "order" I completed them in, mainly because I did so sproadically. But I completed
Tradition/Honour(I did honour last, don't ask why :p),/Piety/Freedom/Patronage.

Completed Utopia at 2019 AD. I would say "I will try to get a better time" but to be honhest, I may very well not bother :p.

Attachments

• 12agnar0k - 3960 BC Guanlet 1.Civ5Save
    395 KB · Views: 111
  • 12agnar0k - 2019 AD Guanlet 1.Civ5Save
    730.8 KB · Views: 146
This will be fun!

I plan on not using the "sell off citys" strategy (feels like cheating) and going with 4 cities (possibly AI starting locations with new settlers) then play naturally for a nice peacefull win.

I will then go back and play the exact same map but expand fast while still focusing on Culture as much as possible and use the sell city strategy down to my capital take all the SP's at once and build utopia in the Cap.

Will be interesting to see how much faster the "cheating" strategy is.

[*]Opponents: Any, 8 only, 16 City States only

Sorry for the noob question. First time I've done the advanced set up in Civ V. You say Opponents 8, but the 'natural' setup is 8 total civilizations for a standard sized map. The player and 7 opponents. This may just be a misunderstanding of the word opponents. Perhaps, 8 Civilizations instead of 8 Opponents?

Sorry for the noob question. First time I've done the advanced set up in Civ V. You say Opponents 8, but the 'natural' setup is 8 total civilizations for a standard sized map. The player and 7 opponents. This may just be a misunderstanding of the word opponents. Perhaps, 8 Civilizations instead of 8 Opponents?

Indeed, but he said 8 Opponents, which may of been an oversight on his part, just like staing "normal game speed" when its called standard. But never the less, 8 Opponents is what was asked for so I just added an extra Civ on the advanced set up.

Good point, and one worthy of clarification (please!). There is an add AI player button on the advanced menu, so you could indeed have 9 civs BUT that would give you 18 City States... :mischief:

When that's sorted, I may have a go at this challenge. I've just finished a cultural victory as the awesome Ramkhamhaeng, finishing on turn 277. I was still experimenting and not going hard for an early finish, so this should be a nice challenge. :)

Indeed, but he said 8 Opponents, which may of been an oversight on his part, just like staing "normal game speed" when its called standard. But never the less, 8 Opponents is what was asked for so I just added an extra Civ on the advanced set up.

:blush: Oops, was an oversight on my behalf. As this is just a Beta, I will accept 8 if you have already started but from now please use 7 opponents. I will change the opening post.

Thanks heaps for all your thoughts and the completed games so far. Don't worry about exploits etc, but detail them and let us know what you think is an exploit/cheesy tactics etc. This is the information we need to get from you all.

So far I have rolled a start out and that is all :blush:

This generation of Civ I promised myself to participate in that kind of friendly competition and here is my first submission. Yay.

The winning turn is 366 in the year 1946 AD.

My initial plan was to go for 3 or 4 cities, but after exploring the surrounding area I changed my mind and settled for two cities. My capital being the main culture hub and a second city providing support (science, production and most importantly Great Artists) for my capital.

The first 200 turns or so were quite uneventful. I saved up my policies whenever it seemed the best thing to do, explored the rest of the world and (going into Patronage after Freedom) I allied myself with as many city states as possible, providing me with more culture and a bit of food.

Meanwhile Darius I of the Persians started to go rampage on the eastern half of my continent, elimnating Bismarck and a few of my allied of befriended City States (which I couldn't do anything about).
The west side of my empire was conrolled by the Aztecs and again some of my City States. This AI also seemed to enjoy killing off good City State candidates, but again I couldn't afford to make the AI angry at me.

By the time the Persian war machine reached my borders I was mightily afraid of losing this game in like five turns. I decided to open my borders hoping Darius would go to war with the Aztecs or attack one of the city states (he had war with every CS). Luckily, he did exactly that marching with an army 20x my size towards Genoa.
What I didn't expect was Montezuma declaring war on me and attacking from the west. I diverted my ressources towards building a few trebuchets to defend my cities, but what saved me in the end was bribing Darius into declaring war on Montezuma as well, which made him turn back his army reaaaally quickly.
50 turns later or so the Aztecs were history and part of the mighty Persian empire.

However, by that time I was also close to completing my cultural victory, having saved up ~38k culture until I had built Cristo Redentor. So I only had to hold Darius off for a few turns. I bribed my ass off and luckily he decided to like me :)
After finishing Cristo Redentor came another shock - I had not only accumulated enough culture to finish five trees... in fact I could almost complete a sixth one too. Damn - that was much time lost.

~15 rounds later I won.

I'm definitely looking forward to optimizing my game play with the new things I learned from that playthrough and can hopefully submit a much better save next time.

Cheers :)

P.S. I had a bug in this game, which I reported here. It basically gave me like 50 Irons too much, however I didn't use Iron anyways since I built only three units ;)

Attachments

• HoF-V-Beta-I-Begin.Civ5Save
    882.2 KB · Views: 112
  • HoF-V-Beta-I-End.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
Damn, I really have to study some of those saves. This is my first time HOF and in CIV IV I was only just beginning to play prince level.

Currently my game is at turn 207 and I'm seriously lagging behind in almost every department, culture included.

My next door neighbour is monty. For some reason he's decided to be a docile little puppy. I even declared war on him when he settled a city a little bit too close to my borders. Destroyed his city and his lone defending unit, and for some reason he wanted peace a few turns later while his vast army was still busy marching my way.

All my cities are coastal and spammed with trade hubs because most have more then enough sea food to make up for farms. One city even has 3 fish and 1 whale.

But perhaps I'm focussing too much on tech? Not really sure how to focus on culture besides building the +culture buildings, and setting the city to emphasise that. Was still only doing +65 culture a turn or something.

This generation of Civ I promised myself to participate in that kind of friendly competition and here is my first submission. Yay.

:goodjob:

The winning turn is 366 in the year 1946 AD.

1st so far... :mischief:

My initial plan was to go for 3 or 4 cities, but after exploring the surrounding area I changed my mind and settled for two cities. My capital being the main culture hub and a second city providing support (science, production and most importantly Great Artists) for my capital.

It does seem less is more for culture, not sure this is right though :crazyeye:

I saved up my policies whenever it seemed the best thing to do, explored the rest of the world and (going into Patronage after Freedom) I allied myself with as many city states as possible, providing me with more culture and a bit of food. However, by that time I was also close to completing my cultural victory, having saved up ~38k culture until I had built Cristo Redentor. So I only had to hold Darius off for a few turns. I bribed my ass off and luckily he decided to like me :)
After finishing Cristo Redentor came another shock - I had not only accumulated enough culture to finish five trees... in fact I could almost complete a sixth one too. Damn - that was much time lost.

I think that is going to be a key as well, saving up policies and then spending them all at once, gauging when to spend them is going to be the real key :D

~15 rounds later I won.

:goodjob:

I'm definitely looking forward to optimizing my game play with the new things I learned from that playthrough and can hopefully submit a much better save next time.

Good luck!

Ghandi is Mr. OCC Culture Victory, but that's not going to work for Harun. Instead, I'll be throwing money at cultural city-states, thanks to the Bazaar and trade route bonus. At least that's the plan.
Rolled a decent start location first try, with an unforested hill, marble, and cotton right next to my city. It's in marshland, which isn't a problem because I'll be grabbing masonry for that marble anyway.
And the hits keep on coming, as I find a ruin that gives me 30 culture on Turn 1. The popup won't happen until next turn, but I manually go to the SP screen and buy Tradition so my pop will grow while I focus on getting hammers.
30 turns until calendar, 10 turns until monument, and currently 40 turns until Aristocracy.
At Turn 10, that monument is up and I'm now a mere 10 turns until Aristocracy. That will really come in handy when Stonehenge is available.
Turn 16 and my scout grabbed another ruin - Animal Husbandry. There's horses located in the perfect spot to build my second city.
Next turn, I find I have Oda for a neighbor. Actually, this is good. I can start trading with him early, and Samurai are no match for Camel Archers or Horsemen if things go sour.
Turn 27, I get my worker built and start building Stonehenge. With Aristocracy, that will take a mere 15 turns. Next SP is 23 turns away, so Stonehenge will get to have some impact.

I forgot about Cristo Redentor, I wasn't saving my advances at all, other than saving a couple to get far enough into both freedom and order ASAP.

So, I think I might test that cheese I said we shouldn't do, see what sort of difference it makes. Particularly after my first game. I will get myself ceasar's head on a stick, and all his cities, then raze them all to facilitate my culture win. :scan:

I do think that losing a non-puppet city costs you a certain amount of stored culture is an excellent idea for fixing the cheese, too.

I think that is going to be a key as well, saving up policies and then spending them all at once, gauging when to spend them is going to be the real key :D

If this is the 'official' stance of the people running the gauntlet, that this is a viable strat and will allow you to win the gauntlet, then I'm going to protest and respectfully not play in it at all. It's too bad, as I was hoping to really get into the fun competitive side of this site and forums finally with Civ 5, but not if exploits of bad game designing are going to be promoted as the way to do it.

Well, I was defeated. I was expecting to anyway, I did'nt have any trouble til 1800's. My army consistited of 1 archer. :smoke:

Attachments

• TheFragleader-4000BC.Civ5Save
    322.5 KB · Views: 139
  • TheFragleader 1828- Defeat.Civ5Save
    757.8 KB · Views: 108
Finished my game, Culture Victory on turn 321 (1901 AD), I know I could have gotten it under 300 if I hadn't played sloppy at the end. Damn Project took 26 turns to finish!

Where do I send my save? I never played the Civ4 HOF, so I'm unsure where to send it. Also, I wasn't sure if you wanted me to save 1 turn before I win, or right after, so I saved both.

It's too bad, as I was hoping to really get into the fun competitive side of this site and forums finally with Civ 5, but not if exploits of bad game designing are going to be promoted as the way to do it.

We are trying to find these exploits and see how to deal with them, these early gauntlets aren't really about the competitive side (not entirely) but to find the wrinkles that need to be ironed out. Would be great for people to play without using these exploits/cheese and see how the times stack up as well.

I believe the idea behind using any exploits you can is to try and solve them in the long run ^>^.

Top Bottom