Civ VI - Beta Gauntlet IV

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

*There is no Civ VI HOF Mod as of yet, so please play these games in the spirit of the >> Civ V HOF rules <<. Please review these before playing.

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Immortal
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Pangaea
  • Speed: Normal
  • Leader: Sparta/Greece (Gorgo)
  • Opponents: Any, (default number of opponents only, no duplicate leaders)
  • Resources: Standard
  • Start Position: Standard
  • Limit Turns: By Game Speed
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
  • Version: Latest patch
  • Date: 15th February 2017 to 15th March2017

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

While each map can only be played once, players are more than welcome to generate new maps and submit multiple games (although only the fastest finish will be counted). Also, as everyone is playing their own distinct maps, there is no need for spoiler limitation within the thread. In fact, we encourage detailed posting of strategy and gameplay.

Banned Tactics:
  • Making multiple gpt trades with the same AI (ie endless gold bug)

Last edited:
Turn 202 Domination Victory

Opponents:
- Brazil
- Germany
- Greece (the other one)
- France
- Spain
- Aztecs
- Egypt

Started in the south-west corner of my continent. There was a lot of rainforest nearby and, sure enough, so was Brazil. Surprisingly, Germany was even further south-west of me in the tundra.

War started with Archers and Hoplites to consign Brazil to history before they put up too many walls. I settled 6 cities or thereabouts and built a second army to Germany while my original army started towards Greece to the east. First catapults came on-line and it was on for young and old. Greece fell fairly quickly then I turned south for Egypt and split the army again, wheeling half of them north to attack the Aztecs. Unfortunately I realised Greece had a city in the way to I DOW'd them too, took the city and kept going.

The other half of the force continued east for France and was bolstered by the German conquering force. At this point, I still didn't know where Paris was and was yet to find a Spanish city. The Aztec conquering force came back to add support to the French battle. I lost two units but pressed onward to find (and conquer) Paris. I split the force into three and went in random directions in search of Spain. Oddly, they declared war on me and then I found Madrid. Four turns later and it was all done.

Government was mostly Oligarchy. I could have switched to Merchant Republic but (a) I forgot and (b) I was enjoying +4 combat bonus for melee and the extra experience. I did enjoy 20 turns or so in Democracy (oh, the irony) at the end.

Districts were mainly Campii and Commercial. I did do a couple of Entertainment and Acropolii. I started on a couple of Aerodromes when I didn't know were Paris and Madrid were thinking I'd use bombers to hit them while knights/tanks charged in but wasn't necessary in the end.

One frustration was that Germany's demise got me instant warmonger status even though (a) he hadn't met anyone and (b) nobody had met him. Oh well, it's a Civ thing I guess!

Starting Position:
Start.png

End Position:
Finish.png

Attachments

• AutoSave_0001.Civ6Save
    332.1 KB · Views: 243
  • GORGO 203 1420 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 243
Version: Patch 2

Do I need to revert backwards to a different version of the game because of yesterday's DLC?
If the answer is yes, how would I go about doing that playing thru Steam?

Turn 127 Domination victory

Opponents:
Spain
France
Brazil
Japan
England
Greece (other one)
Egypt

Default settings for all the ones not mentioned

Had a reasonably isolated start in the center of a snake like shaped landmass. Spain was closest at 10 tiles away through hills and jungle and every one else miles away.

Minimal barbarians early helped give me an easy early growth period and two scouts from first two goody huts plus first one build meant i discovered everything very quickly including a lot of first city states including 2 military.

built 2 settlers, forward settled Spain with a war road to my capital and marched half a dozen archers plus a few warriors and hoplites.

stole a settler off France, ended up losing the city to their army through a peace deal for gold and coffee, and got to keep my 3 units to fight another day. they then marched around France to rejoin my Spanish defeating army... (now ever bigger and a battering ram in tow) to join the war against France once again after taking a nice peace deal from Philip.

crushed France from existence and that was all the western continent conquered.

Marched army back, plus joined them up with more horsemen, a general (Hannibal) and a little later knights, upgraded warriors to swords and split my army in two. then proceeded to crush everyone else as fast as possible.

Finished game with 4 generals 2 battering rams, 1 siege tower, 1 warrior, 2 swords, 6 muskets, 4 pikemen, 8 knights, 3 horsemen (several died near the end), 1 archer and 8 crossbows.
101 gold per turn 53 coming from peace deals.

Start: 3 scouts by turn 10 in an average at best start location, can't complain.
greece start.PNG

End: armies combine in a race to conquer Egypt
greece end.PNG

Attachments

• GORGO 127 275 AD.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 220
We srsly need restart button or at least make the Create game to mantain the last options set.
:( I suck at inmortal lol

Turn 146 Domination Victory

Opponents:
Catherine (France)
Harald (Norway)
Hojo (Japan)
Pedro (Brazil)
Peter (Russia)
Phillip (Spain)
Victoria (England)

I founded one city (after the capital) and then fought early wars using just Archers and 2 Warriors against Peter, Pedro and Harald. Once they got walls up I made peace for ceded cities + gold and moved onto the next target. Upgraded to crossbows and wiped out Brazil.

After that I spent a long time ramping up my economy and moving my crossbows across the map to Japan. They're pretty slow though. While I was conquering Japan and Spain I got attacked by Peter, who had filled his entire territory with Heavy Chariots plus a few Catapults. Fortunately I finished Civil Engineering 3 turns after he DOW'd. He pillaged one Commercial hub and that was the extent of the damage. I used the army I made to defend to conquer Russia and the Norwegian capital.

Finally started making Cavalry around this time and upgraded my crossbows to Field Cannons. This sped things up a bit. Once I had reached deep into France, I split my army in half to take both Paris and London on the same turn.

On reflection, my army was probably overkill and I could have attacked earlier with faster units. Too much respect for the AI after playing with the AI+ mod!

Final position:

Attachments

• GORGO 146 700 AD.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 202
  • GORGO 103 325 BC.Civ6Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 227
  • GORGO 59 1680 BC.Civ6Save
    1 MB · Views: 227
  • GORGO 9 3680 BC.Civ6Save
    752 KB · Views: 221
Hopefully I set this all up correctly. I did forget a 4000 BC starting save... dunno if that is still a requirement. I'll post a starting and ending screen shot when I can figure out how.

Turn 123

Opponents were:
Other Greece
Egypt
Brazil
Spain
England
Germany
France
Nobody really put up any resistance other than the last two England and Greece, but they were way behind in tech. Greece had a bunch of old units, England had annoying spearmen.

I tinkered with the geography settings opting for:
Age - Old (trying to create more flat land)
Temp - Cold (trying to create less good land)
Rain - Arid (trying to create less good land)
Sea Level - High (trying to force us closer together)
I haven't a clue if any of them did what I wanted though! Pretty sure those are all of them.

I started on the eastern coast. Sent one army west to kill Germany, then they continued west and swung north on the western coast. A second army went southwest and then west killing everyone else. My two armies never converged together.

Attachments

• GORGO 61 1600 BC.Civ6Save
    1 MB · Views: 220
  • GORGO 123 175 AD.Civ6Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 239
Top Bottom