Civ2 on Mac

Cavebear

Chieftain
First, recently found a site that offers Civ2 on mac through a portal download. The video was by a Russian person. Do you know about it and is it safe?

Second, is there finally any safe place that allows me to play Civ2 on a High Sierra 10.13.6 Mac? My alternative is to have an old Windows 98 computer completely renewed and the techs there aren't sure if they can. Surely there is some way to keep playing Civ2. I just love it and don't much like the later versions.

It's possible to play Civ 2: Test of Time on Mac using PlayOnMac even on macOS 10.15 Catalina:
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 11.46.25 pm.png

So far everything works except for the movies (they play audio but just have a black square where the video would be). One tricky part is that the installer crashed for me so I actually had to install it using Wine on a Linux computer and copy the Wine container over to PlayOnMac. I used a Linux virtual machine on my Mac to do the initial installation, copy the files across, then delete the virtual machine, but you could instead use a physical Linux machine if that was more convenient. The basic steps are:
  1. Setup a Linux machine. I used Lubuntu 20.04 in a VMWare Fusion (now free for personal use) virtual machine.
  2. Install wine in Linux:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 
    wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
    sudo apt-key add winehq.key
    sudo add-apt-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ focal main'
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
  3. Connect your CD (or CD image) to the virtual machine, open a terminal at the root of the CD and run the installer
    Code:
    wine SETUP.EXE
  4. Proceed through the installer, making sure to use a short path for installation folder (I used C:\TOT)
  5. Follow the steps here to install the required scenarios, patches and the Test of Time Patch Project. I also installed the optional graphics mod to make it look more like original Civ 2.
  6. Optionally, create mp3 versions of the CD audio tracks and and put them in the Music folder inside your TOT folder. I used the K3b program in Linux, but iTunes (now called just Music) on macOS would work too.
  7. Open PlayOnMac and create a new wine prefix (I named mine tot) but do not install anything.
  8. Copy everything from
    Code:
    ~/.wine/
    on your Linux computer into the tot wine prefix in PlayOnMac
  9. Use the Configure button in PlayOnMac to "Make a new shortcut from this virtual drive" and select TOTLauncher.exe
If anyone needs help with a specific step, let me know.

Top Bottom