CIV3, Better then the rest?

hi guys,
civ III is only 3,5 euros on steam now so i am taking it in consideration to buy it.
i mean oldschool gaming FTW.
is there any possibility to strech the resolution to 1920x1080?
:D

Yes, there is. If you run the game in a Virtual Box, like I do. My screen resolution and with that the resolution of the Linux host is 1680x1050. The virtualized Windows can be set to a number of different resolutions and with 1400x1050 Civ3 works too (It doesn't with 1680x1050). Now comes the virtualization software, which offers a "Scale mode" which allows me to literally stretch the display. (Although that may mean that a circle turns into an oval.)

AW is not very enjoyable in Civ 4 due to various reasons. One might be that the AI has been designed to be smarter than in Civ 3, which sort of takes the fun away.

Another reason is the absence of a war weariness negating government, that's just plain unfun.

We have played quite a few AW games in the early days, you might want to read up on them in the Civ 4 SG section.

Yeah, checked out that thread you started in November '05. Quite a discussion-- interesting comments by a host of informed, experienced and passionate players and programmers (you, handy900, arathorn, sulla, sirian, et al). Just goes to show what a tremendous game system CIV is, to provoke so much debate.

Plus I hadn't realized that by that date, some aggressive players had already figured out how to win at high level. It wasn't until quite recently that I actually took the trouble to read the forums (Cracker's starting tips, Chieftess' strategy manual, etc.), and it's sort of amazing that I won a fair number of C3 Emperor games without knowing stuff like worker micro-management, using artillery, and suchlike. So C4 made warmongering a lot more difficult, eh? Maybe when I can win C3C fairly consistently at Demigod I'll try it again. But until then...

I completely agree I have civ 3 conquests and I love it. It is by far better than civ 4.

I have played every game in the series except CivI, and Civ3 is my favorite. Part of it is "nostalgia" if you will, as it was the first Civ game that I played.

Civ1 was interesting in that cities could be placed right next to each other. Friendly cities could string together to make a canal; enemy cities next to each other would battle it out!

Civ3 is the most fun to mod, for sure. To play, the pollution cleanup by workers factor drags it down. It certainly ranks up there with Civ2 and 4 in my book. I can't say I have gotten into Civ 5.

I'm really loving C3C right now. Installed/runs flawless on an old Dell. I played II for countless hours. Too micro-managed... Had to create a dual-display spreadsheet just to keep track of what I MIGHT THINK I want to do. Going to check the IV Demo soon.

But for now, Civ III Complete is solid; Keep this forum alive.

Be advised I'm playing C3C using a separately installed Civ3 vanilla v1.29f and a v1.22 patched Conquests. My copy of Civ3 Complete had bizarre combat results, including warriors beating up on Legionaries and Ancient Cavalry running amok (they'd win about 80-90% of the time against Rome's finest). Anyone else have that problem with Complete?

In a separate issue with an otherwise fine v1.22 Conquests, playing as the Brits my Men'o'War were doing fine until the other Civs got Ironclads. Then the MoW could hardly win a battle, even though enemy vessels showed up as frigates. Is this a bug or something?

Sounds like usual RNG results to me. Last night I had an interesting string of luck, whereby attacking cavalry were killing my defending infantry and dying to my defending cavalry. I lost a 5/5 tank attacking a 3 hp war elephant, and then killed 3 fortified-in-a-metropolis infantry in a row without losing a hit point. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

Sounds like usual RNG results to me. Last night I had an interesting string of luck, whereby attacking cavalry were killing my defending infantry and dying to my defending cavalry. I lost a 5/5 tank attacking a 3 hp war elephant, and then killed 3 fortified-in-a-metropolis infantry in a row without losing a hit point. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

OK, but Warriors and Ancient Cavalry combat results were outta the ballpark in several games, maybe 80% or more against the odds. That's what made me go for the separate installations. Now everything makes sense, except for the Man'o'War vs Frigate glitch mentioned above.

Don't know what it is about sea battles but I wouldn't expect a 3-2-4 Man-O-War to win to often against a 2-2-4 Frigate. I seriously believe all sea battles are weighted in the AIs favor especially when I am on the attack.

Don't know what it is about sea battles but I wouldn't expect a 3-2-4 Man-O-War to win to often against a 2-2-4 Frigate. I seriously believe all sea battles are weighted in the AIs favor especially when I am on the attack.

Men-o-war have 4 attack I thought? Also, sea terrain gives 10% defensive bonus, so it is weighted against you.

Yeah creamcheese, MoW have 4 attack vs Frigate's 2 defense; even with fortifying (25%) and sea/ocean defense bonus (10%) the Frigate would only be 2.7 defending. So how come I lost almost all the time, as if the Frigates were Ironclads?

Yeah creamcheese, MoW have 4 attack vs Frigate's 2 defense; even with fortifying (25%) and sea/ocean defense bonus (10%) the Frigate would only be 2.7 defending. So how come I lost almost all the time, as if the Frigates were Ironclads?

Actually I'm pretty sure fortifying on water does not give any bonus. Also, how were your other battles in that game going? And how many times did you lose? There is such a thing as bad luck. Random numbers means you will have losing streaks. This is why I rely on bombardment; attacking redlined units is much more fun even on bad luck streaks.

3 years ago it did not look like it would make it.

Three years ago Windows XP was still the most common Operating System and Civ2 was still compatible with most people's systems. Civ3 also hit the bargain buckets in most chain retailers approximately 2 years ago and when it's a choice between a Hidden Object game :eek2: and Civ3 I suspect many are going for Civ3.

I still find Civ3 has more flaws than attributes but it's the best civ game currently available to me.

If the pollution wasn't so relentless and Workers could terraform, for example, then the basic game would have a lot more satisfied customers. Like Neverwinter Nights (released around the same time) the majority of prolonged enjoyment from this game stems from its customisability rather than from the basic game.

Actually I'm pretty sure fortifying on water does not give any bonus. Also, how were your other battles in that game going? And how many times did you lose? There is such a thing as bad luck. Random numbers means you will have losing streaks. This is why I rely on bombardment; attacking redlined units is much more fun even on bad luck streaks.

When the AI civs didn't have Ironclads I must've beaten their Frigates over 70% of the time (and then, practically only the "enslaved" 3-hit units lost); when they got Ironclads I lost just about every time...

And yeah, bombardment is the key to winning consistently. Lucky for us humanoids the AI doesn't do it effectively.

Top Bottom