[BTS] Civ4 BTS on Windows 11 ARM on Parallels Desktop on MacOS Monterey. Poll: have we gone too far?

Is playing Civ4 worth this much effort?

• Yes, of course

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I am a fool and my opinion is worthless

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

westinator

Chieftain
Hello!

I have a 2020 Mac Air with an M1 SoC.

Civ4 on Parallels et al. runs very fast; it runs much faster than Civ4 on CrossOver,

but there are minor and minorly-major graphics issues.

1. Rivers are displayed oddly, first as green with yellow banks, and then after a graphics change (like changing the AA setting) black with red banks. In the first case this looks like an algal bloom, and then blood.
Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 11.15.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 11.15.40 AM.png

2. Unit entities disappear intermittently, except for their weapons: see the below Invisible Crossbowman
Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 11.17.02 AM.png

3. Culture borders are not displayed properly. They are usually a little indistinct, as in screenshot 1; or they are totally disappeared, as in 2; I haven't figured out how to replicate 3, but at least it's playable, whereas the whim of the god in my computer tends toward the borderless situation. John Lennon would be pleased, but it's a pain to play through.
Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 11.16.10 AM.png

Maybe the attached DxDiag has a clue? I certainly don't.

Thanks,
Westinator

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 11.15.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 11.15.40 AM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 34
  • DxDiag.txt
    47.9 KB · Views: 34
I am using older versions of Parallels, MacOS, and Windows, so I cannot give specific advice. However, to figure out whether your problem is coming from Windows 11 or from Parallels, I suggest setting up an older Windows virtual computer within Parallels. (Parallels lets you run several virtual computers, without affecting each other.) Then run CIV in the older version and see if the problem occurs there or not. If not then it is a Windows 11 problem, which someone here will hopefully be able to help with. If the problem occurs with the older Windows version as well, then the problem is in the Parallels version. In that case report it to Parallels and they will add it to their debug list for the next release. I am assuming that you still have an older version of Windows around to install.

Hi s.bernbaum,
Fine idea. Seems to work well on say my old computer with Parallels, Win 10, Intel.
Unfortunately, the M1 Macs limit you to only latest parallels and Win 11. So could be a bug in any of those....

--Peter

Btw Parallels 18 seems to have solved this problem - I'm now playing civ iv bts on a Mac m1 in parallels 18, windows 11, via steam and there seem to be no issues. Note this version is available from the parallels web site but not from the apple App Store (parallels responded to my question that the web site version is ahead of the App Store version).

Btw Parallels 18 seems to have solved this problem - I'm now playing civ iv bts on a Mac m1 in parallels 18, windows 11, via steam and there seem to be no issues. Note this version is available from the parallels web site but not from the apple App Store (parallels responded to my question that the web site version is ahead of the App Store version).
I can confirm that too.

Top Bottom