Civ4 Map Maker

in trying to get your app to run but im having trouble. i am no code guru :)
i installed the latest java, but i just dont see it really running in my tray and i dont think your program is seeing it
all that happens is this pops up in a dos-box

Spoiler :

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\New Folder>cd bin
'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Press any key to continue . . .

do you have the java runtime environment running? you can download it here
just to be sure

what i would do is not use the command prompt if you can help it, and go to where you installed the map maker and send a shortcut of "run.bat" to your desktop.

maybe you could take a screenshot of your desktop then it happens with the printscreen button, (paste into paint, host it, post it here)

i installed the latest java, but i just dont see it really running in my tray and i dont think your program is seeing it

Spoiler :

Ok, it seems that you don't have your java environment variables registered for some weird reason. Shoot.
Anyway, to do this manually:
1. Go to c:\Program Files\Java\
2. Look for a folder that starts with jre1.6 or jre1.5. (or jdk1.6/jdk1.5 though unlikely)
3. Open your control panel
4. Look for "System" or "System Properties" and double-click that
5. Go to Advanced tab and click on "Environment Variables"
6. Look for one like "PATH". Add the following to end of it: [don't forget to start with the ; and end with \bin]
;c:\program files\java\[type entire folder name from step 2]\bin
7. Click "OK" each window until you're out of all that.

After that, run.bat should work.

Thanks for making me aware of this. (god I hate windows...) I'll figure out something to do this automatically in 0.1.0

Actually, try this:
http://www.pamelabowman.org/run.zip

Unzip it to wherever you put the map maker and try run.bat again. It tries to find your installed JRE and should work if you put it in the default location.
If not, there's pretty much nothing I can do apart from searching entire directory structures. :/ And batch files are TERRIBLE...I treasure my sanity.

Can you make maps that are bigger tahn 25x25? Everytime i try i can't edit anything beyond the 25x25 mark. I think there's a way but i'm not really sure how to do it :(

sarysa, can you give us an update on the status of this mod, please?

In what way are your maps broken?
Right now, it'll let you get away with almost anything. It only cares what order BeginGame/BeginMap/BeginPlot appear in (and those three are required), and that the first line after BeginPlot is the x,y coordinate, but I could easily make it not care about that either.
By the way, though I probably won't put in an underlay until next version after 0.0.3 (as I'd like to get core features before waves of bug reports come in), you can quickly travel through your map by pressing CTRL-direction. i.e. pressing ctrl-right will take you about about 20-something squares to the right. I forgot to document all the controls.

Re: the modcast

I'm pretty much out of it when it comes to great advancements in message board technology in the last 3 years, but I'll check your link for it. :D

[edit: tax day 2008 :D ]
I more or less figured out how to complete the auto-river. I might add support for two parallel rivers tonight, but that's far as I can go.
Here's screenshot showing all river configurations will be supported in 0.0.3:
the maps are broken because they autodefeat when you try to play them, importing them into this would hopefully clean the maps entirely no matter what i screwed up, where most cleaning programs only remove certain arbitrary text from the file.

Hey, tried it out and it works great! :goodjob:

Quick question: I had a map going which had a width of 28 tiles. However, I could only edit 24, since the other 4 were off the edge of the interface. I tried maximizing the window to no avail. Any ideas?

Can you make maps that are bigger tahn 25x25? Everytime i try i can't edit anything beyond the 25x25 mark. I think there's a way but i'm not really sure how to do it :(

Hey, tried it out and it works great! :goodjob:

Quick question: I had a map going which had a width of 28 tiles. However, I could only edit 24, since the other 4 were off the edge of the interface. I tried maximizing the window to no avail. Any ideas?

You use the numpad to move the screen. :) (Make sure num lock is turned off.)

This is an excellent utility and makes map editing much easier than the WB. Good job. :goodjob:

Ive got a bit of a problem.. when ive exported the map and want to load it in game it crahes.. im thinking it could have something to with missing starting locations.. else the program is nice and simple and that it I like.. if any got the version that dosent remove starting location I would like if you could post it...

I just create a game and save the file in world builder and then import those into the text of the map file. Then load it up and change it in worldbuilder, a pain for sure but it works.

Spoiler :

by the way, the quickest way I found to avoid this problem was to create a desktop folder named "cd bin"and extract all Civ4MapMaker-src-and-bin-0_0_3-0420 contents into the folder. Then, open the batch file and it runs.

A question by the way; how do I create a landscape that isnt cylindrical, such as a north america map? Thanks.

Good job developers - thanks very much for this :goodjob:

I just tried it for the first time after years of hacking the map area in WB saves by hand. Java is my language so if I think of any cool additions I'll send em in.

Wow! If this tool works it is just what I need. Map editor for making great maps. I must try this out. I will give feedback after I try it.

I can not seem to get this to work on windows 8.1 ... I tried the new run.bat Sarysa psoted for Garret, but it doesn't help.

Top Bottom