Civ4 XML Editor

General Tso,

would this program work for viewing customised models in game?

I've been reskinning some customised models which i downloaded from this site, and I'd like to see them inside the actual game, but i don't have a clue about programming language or hard stuff like that? I read a tutorial about it here but it did my brain in.

If I understand your question correctly - no you can't view models with this software. This program will only view the xml data for a given item.

If I understand your question correctly - no you can't view models with this software. This program will only view the xml data for a given item.

That's not exactly what i meant to say - I obviously use the Nif viewer and Max to view models. But then I need to see them in action, in a mod, in the actual game, to see if they work with their animations etc.

So I think what I meant to say was, with this tool, could you edit the xml data to add new units to a Civ, thereby adding your unit (including its' custom model/skin) to a mod. Then you could go into a game to see your unit in action.
Err, hope that kind of makes sense

Yes you can add a new unit to the game with the editor. Just open the Civ4UnitInfos.xml file in the editor. Select a unit that's similar to the unit that you want to create and hit the insert button to clone it. You will now have two units with the same name. Edit the type element for a given unit to change it's name. Edit the other element values to change the unit as needed.

There is currently a minor display issue with the editor when cloning an item in the Class List. When you add a new class item (a unit in this case) and rename it, the Class List display doesn't update to show this. For now you can just click on the type button and then click on accept to redraw the screen.

Yes you can add a new unit to the game with the editor. Just open the Civ4UnitInfos.xml file in the editor. Select a unit that's similar to the unit that you want to create and hit the insert button to clone it. You will now have two units with the same name. Edit the type element for a given unit to change it's name. Edit the other element values to change the unit as needed.

There is currently a minor display issue with the editor when cloning an item in the Class List. When you add a new class item (a unit in this case) and rename it, the Class List display doesn't update to show this. For now you can just click on the type button and then click on accept to redraw the screen.
Okay thanks, I'll DL this and try.

This looks useful, though I can't use the 'Insert' key correctly with this because i've got a wierd kind of mini-keyboard - can you edit the hotkeys at all, otherwise perhaps it's time to get a proper keyboard

I put it on my list of things to do, but I'm in the middle of working on my mod now. It might be a little while until I get around to it.

Can't download:

"Warning: copy(./downloads//ec_tmp/civ4_xml_editor__v113.zip) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /downloads.php on line 706
ERROR: File not found."

Im trying to make a seperate XML editor, focusing on technologies Tso, would these be at all integratable?? Im using VB.

Also you any good with datasets as im stuck (self teaching very slowly...)

Can't download:

"Warning: copy(./downloads//ec_tmp/civ4_xml_editor__v113.zip) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /downloads.php on line 706
ERROR: File not found."

I just tried to download it and it worked fine, I suggest that you try again - it might have been some kind of temporarary problem with the this site.

Im trying to make a seperate XML editor, focusing on technologies Tso, would these be at all integratable??

My editor is written in Python so I don't think that they are integratable. If your'e interested in trying to do something with it, the soure code for the editor is located in a folder call "Source Files".

Also you any good with datasets as im stuck (self teaching very slowly...)

Sorry, I havn't done anything with datasets so I can't help you, but I know the feeling, I had plenty of those when I was first learning Python while writing code for the editor. That's one of the reasons why I made this editor. It was to frustrating trying to learn Python and create a mod for Civ4 at the same time - due to the long load time of the game.

Yeah, lucky for me I havent got the creativity to mod and I want to become a developer so I am commited to one task. However I am unfortunately hooked on marathon Civ :p

Is this still being worked on?

I haven't been working on this recently (moved on to other projects). Is there anything in particular that you wanted changed?

I've been using it off and on, but there were a few little things I thought I might tweak if the source were available (or if you wanted to tweak them, that'd be good too :). An indicator of the path in the title, and a dirty bit so you knew when the file was modified from save version. A test of file size/mod date on activate with the option to reload if the file was modified in another editor (coupled with awareness of whether this version was modified from the original).

Those would be the basics. I was also thinking about adding an auto-text ref look up, and an auto text-ref adder, but that's a bit more involved.

BTW, for structure hints, you can also look at the schema rather then examining each xml entity. Not substantially different/more difficult I would think.

I've been using it off and on, but there were a few little things I thought I might tweak if the source were available, or if you wanted to tweak them, that'd be good too :).

Thanks for the ideas. I'm working on some other things right now, so it may be a while to I get back to this. If you're interested, the source files are included with the download. They are in the "Source Files" folder. It's located in the program folder.
I was still learning Python when I wrote this, so some of the code may not be written in the best manor possible. The two biggest problems in my opinion are:
1. The screen isn't updated when a new item is inserted in the Class List and it's name is changed in the Element List. You can work around this by clicking on the Type button and then clicking on Cancel - that will refresh the screen.
2. There are a small number of items that can't be edited. Hopefully this doesn't affect many people.

I was just interested to see what this program has to offer.... I always thought of notepad++ to be absolutely perfect for editing XML, just curious if this offers more features or exactly what it'll help me with?

I was just interested to see what this program has to offer.... I always thought of notepad++ to be absolutely perfect for editing XML, just curious if this offers more features or exactly what it'll help me with?

This editor is usefull for quickly changing values in xml files. For example: when editing my mod, say I want to increase the move rate for all of my tank units (about 20 tanks so far). It's quicker and easier to make these changes with this program. First I do a search in the left pane for my first tank. Then I do a search in the right pane for iMoves and with two clicks the value is increased. Now as I click on additional units in the left pane, iMoves is already highlighted and is ready to be edited.

The advantages with this program are that you can find what you want to edit quickly and then you can do the actual edit easily (At least I thinks it's better - I havn't test every XML editor out there).

The draw backs are a somewhat quircky interface, and there are few items scattered about the XML files that this editor can't current work with. The editor will let you know if it can't edit a given item. If I ever get my mod finished I hope to fix these problems someday.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the effort you put into this!

this is as simple as useful
thanks so much!

yea id just like to say thank you as well

excellent tool ;)

Have a question if anyone can help, i have edited the unit xml info ..created a copy and changed the tag name and a few other stats.. once in game though, no other unit is avaliable..?

Is there something i am missing??

Top Bottom