[BNW] Civ5 on 2020/2021 M1 Mac

beetle

Deity
GOTM Staff
Salutations!

Has anyone tried Civ5 on the current (Nov 2020) Mac Mini? Are the graphics okay?

When I looked (in November) it seemed to me like the Mini might need an external video boxen to be supported. Which is kind of nuts for a ten year old game! I had presumed more information would be available by now. But I just now did some Googling, and could not find anything.

Back in November, I figured I would hold out for an M1 iMac. Well, the 2021 M1 iMac is out, but I am not impressed with the pricing. Historically, if you buffed a (new) Mini to the same specs as a (new) iMac, the iMac was like getting the (very nice) screen for free. That value equation no longer holds true, and I have always coveted the Mini form factor.

Last edited:
Late reply but - I am very pleasantly surprised by it. It is extremely usable on a 2020 Mini, even with the settings turned up pretty high on a 4K monitor. Sometimes at the end of the game when the whole Huge map is revealed, it can take a few seconds to update for map changes like new roads.

Top Bottom