Civ6 - Hall of Fame Q & A

As for imposing bans on certain bugs / cheese, I think we just have to rely on the honor system. If someone is going to go through the trouble to cheat on a game to impress people on a message board, that's just sad! I guess we already rely on honor system for the GOTM games right?

I think the issue lies more in defining exactly and precisely what exactly is not allowed and making everyone (or a majority of people) agree on such rules than the risk of people deliberately breaking these rules to gain an "illegal edge".
A lot of these bugs / issues can have grey areas and some players may trigger them even without knowing.

Example 1 Taking all of an AIs cities in a peace deal
An overflow is triggered which allows you to take all an AI's cities in a peace deal. But what if instead of their cities, you take all their gold / great works? How do you know if you are taking more gold than "you would normally deserve if the overflow was not triggered"?

Example 2 Nalanda bug
Should we ban every game with this city-state? What if you found out that Nalanda is in your game after T100 and you are having a great game up to that point?
Should we ban sending envoys to Nalanda? What if you gain suzerainty after completing easy/unavoidable quests?
What if you keep losing/gaining suzerainty, because it is contested by the AI or because it's moving Amani in/out? You can get 1-3-5 or maybe more free techs from actions that are out of your control. This can make a big difference in the end.

etc.

I think the issue lies more in defining exactly and precisely what exactly is not allowed and making everyone (or a majority of people) agree on such rules than the risk of people deliberately breaking these rules to gain an "illegal edge".
A lot of these bugs / issues can have grey areas and some players may trigger them even without knowing.

Example 1 Taking all of an AIs cities in a peace deal
An overflow is triggered which allows you to take all an AI's cities in a peace deal. But what if instead of their cities, you take all their gold / great works? How do you know if you are taking more gold than "you would normally deserve if the overflow was not triggered"?

Example 2 Nalanda bug
Should we ban every game with this city-state? What if you found out that Nalanda is in your game after T100 and you are having a great game up to that point?
Should we ban sending envoys to Nalanda? What if you gain suzerainty after completing easy/unavoidable quests?
What if you keep losing/gaining suzerainty, because it is contested by the AI or because it's moving Amani in/out? You can get 1-3-5 or maybe more free techs from actions that are out of your control. This can make a big difference in the end.

etc.

I agree. There are some gray areas, and it is those we need to clear out. But I would say mostly with trading? With Nalanda I would say that moving Amani in and out to get several techs in one turn is an abuse. But otherwise everything should be allowed. I assume that is how it was meant to work.

The best solution for both of these would be for Firaxis to fix the issues. Sadly, they have known about the city bug for a long time but won't fix it. I can't remember exactly but I think if you ask for all an AIs gold in peace once, they will usually say no but make a lower counter offer. I just take that and never ask for cities. To be honest, if I got to war on a fast game I usually either wipe out the AI or leave them only cities I don't want or ones that will eventually flip by Loyalty, so I don't really worry about whether they would "fairly" give them.

I *think* it is very likely they fix Nalanda next patch (although who knows, they leave a lot of the bugs for months or years). It would be a tough call to say what to do until then - I certainly hate it if I was on a HOF pace, got Suzerain of Nalanda, and then an AI took it back multiple times. It would feel a bit like putting an asterisk on the final time.

Everyone has their own views. I hinder myself by always playing continents even though Pangea or Lakes would be faster, whereas most players would consider these maps fair game. At the same time, I like to roll for good starts, which some players would consider cheating - mostly because it takes me FOREVER to finish a game and I don't really want to invest the one or two games a month I can finish on a crappy start when I am playing for speed.

I think at the end of the day its OK as long as you post what you did - "I won on T150, but because Egypt kept fighting me for Suzerain of Nalanda I got 5 free techs instead of one.

Does Terra still count as a standard map? Now it populates enough City-States on the main continent so that you can still reasonably get your Political Philosophy Inspiration, with 6-8 located in the New World.

Also I just turn Nalanda off now during map generation. I had a pretty good Scotland game going the other day except the only Scientific City-State was Nalanda and the other civs kept fighting for it. It's getting aggravating.

Top Bottom