Civilization 1 Live Stream + New tactics + Crash at end of stream lol.

Skybuck

Prince
I have managed to setup a live stream with youtube and OBS software, so I can stream civilization 1 gameplay inside dos-box-x and windows 7 directly live onto youtube:

An 8 hours video where I played this game non-stop, only get some water in between.

The first few games like 2 or 3 or something I tried some new tactics like base/city on mountain and build wonders with caravans, which was god damn fast ! YEAH ! =D Beautifull.

Then the final game I managed to stay alive for a long long time and still alive and kicking ! With the french ofcourse at emporer level earth and 7 civilizations but only 3 remain.

At the end the game crashes as usually when spaceship start to land, hmmm could be a good reason to try and prevent them from making spaceships. I actually gave the russians space flight lol... late in the game. I could go back to a previous same game and stop that... pretty sure about that which could be funny.

I do suspect the AI gets corrupted somewhat because it becomes quite passive.

Anyway the video/live feed managed to capture the crash so in case you interested have a looksy.

This was on a laptop with a broken 3D chip but the 2D rendering seems to be ok.

This time I kinda believe it's a problem with either ms-dos or dos-box-x. It mentions a Memory Control Block corrupted: "MCB chain broken at 6193:0000!"

Maybe this will help somebody at debugging it ?

If you don't know how to play Earth map in Europe position than this is definetly worth a watch ! =D

Some secrets are:

1. Build compact/tiny, this time not too tiny.
2. Build walls
3. Get ships too in case you get locked in, lesson learned from this experiment.
4. Go for money,research. I wrote it down in a textfile which are the tech branches and such.
5. Have a plan ! ;) :) Try out the plan and improve it ! =D
6. Decide which wonders you want and go for it ! Use caravans to quickly build them ! =D

Well bye for now !
Skybuck.

P.S.: Oh I just found out it didn't record my voice, cause I disabled the webcam mic in windows 7 settings ! Maybe better this way ! LOL... But next time I may record my voice as well... for now no voice of me ! just the game sound ! ;)

P.S.2: Wow if mic and mixer are disable windows will first also disable all audio, so that has to be re-enabled if audio is to work again... woooow... always something with tech ! ;) :) even in the game hehe.

P.S.3: Youtube sure knows how to link a good interesting video now that it see me play for 8 hours:
Very civilization worthy a MUST watch if you want to understand this planet better, after first few minutes me already convinced ! =D

Last edited:
At the end the game crashes as usually when spaceship start to land, hmmm could be a good reason to try and prevent them from making spaceships. I actually gave the russians space flight lol... late in the game. I could go back to a previous same game and stop that... pretty sure about that which could be funny.

I do suspect the AI gets corrupted somewhat because it becomes quite passive.

Anyway the video/live feed managed to capture the crash so in case you interested have a looksy.

This was on a laptop with a broken 3D chip but the 2D rendering seems to be ok.

This time I kinda believe it's a problem with either ms-dos or dos-box-x. It mentions a Memory Control Block corrupted: "MCB chain broken at 6193:0000!"

Maybe this will help somebody at debugging it ?

For other wondering, the corrupted Alpha centauri Art is visible from 7:50:00, and the crash occurs less than a minute after that.

Nice catch Skybuck, although I never encountered this problem myself before...

Could be interesting if you share savegames of that game, for analysis. Maybe also DOSBox memory dump, but not sure it is useful.

From my experience, CIV does contains programmer errors that create bugs, such as the infamous "pollution bug" (see https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/pollution-bug-nailed.535608/) or invalid pathfinding data (see https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/sve-file-format.493581/page-3#post-12554133).

Alpha Centauri image glitch happens to me regularly if my empire is pretty big. But in my case, in 99% cases game will successfully go through that (even "drawing" of this garbage data is very slow) so I can set new Hall of Fame record. Don't know if game will be stable after that... It never happens in One City Challenge or when I'm neck-to-neck with AI and don't rack score.

Top Bottom