"Civilization IV Map Creator"

Dieuwer

Chieftain
Was looking for a Civ 4 map editor/maker but found most links on this website dead. The few programs that were downloadable didn't work so well.
So...I created my own map maker: "Civilization IV Map Creator".
It works rather straightforward. You can start making a new map from the menu, or start directly with the standard map (grid) of blank tiles. Just click a button for base terrain (top coolbar row), a potential terrain feature (second coolbar row), whether there is a river (the blue icons on the second coolbar row) and perhaps a resource (drop down box on second coolbar row). Once selected, clicking ANYWHERE in the grid will place those tiles on the grid at that position.
Removing what you just placed is just un-selecting those terrain/features buttons and clicking again on the grid tile.
The (unfinished) map can be saved or loaded in proprietary format on disk. Saving the map as a WorldBuilderSave file is done through the Export menu.

The question now is: how shall I distribute my program?

Oh I like setting a real map as a background, that would have been really helpful back when I was creating a map from scratch.

I would recommend to package everything the editor needs into a ZIP or RAR file and upload it here in downloads database. Depending on the size the actual file may need to be hosted on an external site, I am using Sourceforge for example. If you want to be a bit fancier you can use Inno Setup to create an install wizard for your program.

I also very much like setting the real map as background - it makes designing real maps so much easier -, it just gave me the idea to incorporate this into my own Excel based "map editor" (yes, yet another map editor, LOL - although it's more like a "planner" to optimize city placement by showing all tile/city yields and such, at least that was the original idea when I started it in 2016).

I don't know if it is feasible to distribute it, since it has been a while since CIV 4 (with or without BTS) was published - I'm also thinking whether I should post mine here or not for the same reason -, but I would welcome posting your editor for sure (if you're still working on it, that is). Great work!

Top Bottom