Civilization: Mythos

Caesar of Bread

Trans Gordon Ramsay
The next in the Civ-game spinoffs. From the studio that brang Colonization, Beyond Earth, and the living hell of Civfanatics...

CIVILIZATION: MYTHOS
Some of the nations:
Federation - Jean Luc Picard
Sumeria - Gilgamesh
Toltecs - Xoxpilichiti
Greece - Theseus
Ewoks - Jar Jar Binks
Rome - Sponsian
England - Mr. Bean
China - Yu
Ohio - William Henry Harrison
Voodoo - Baron Samedi
Akan - Anansi

in a world where magic, sci-fi, and Ohio co-exist, will YOU stand the test of time?

Last edited:
Toltecs - Xoxpilichiti
I googled Xoxpilichiti and don't found nothing.
If we should have the Toltecs in a mythical spin off, I think the best name is Quetzalcoalt, because that is the dude who was king of Toltecs and sail through the Atlantic sea saying he will back to conquer México, and Hernan Cortez believed was him that Quetzalcoalt.
Quetzalcoalt is also the feathered serpent.
Voodoo - Baron Samedi
Instead of Voodoo, it should be Haiti, since all other have the name of a civilization, not a religion.
And despite there is also voodoo in Benin, Baron Samedi is an Haitian god.

I also would add Brazil on this list.
There is a lot of myths of Amerindian, European and African origins here.
But there is one who mix all the 3, is the Saci Perere.
Saci is a black elf who just have one leg and walks through a small huricane, he like to smoke and do pranks.
The name Saci Perere comes from Tupi-Guarani Yacy Yatere who means peace of the moon.
By the way, Yacy Yatere is the Paraguayan version of Saci, but despite don't be black as the brazilian one, the paraguayan one is blond.

If we should have the Toltecs in a mythical spin off, I think the best name is Quetzalcoalt, because that is the dude who was king of Toltecs and sail through the Atlantic sea saying he will back to conquer México, and Hernan Cortez believed was him that Quetzalcoalt.
Quetzalcoalt is also the feathered serpent.
Remeber that Ce Acatl Topilzin and the aztec god Quetzacoalt are not the same person, of course Ce Acatl Topilzin does have a lot of mythologized elements from the few sources that survived colonization, also some other sources were written during the colony, which explain some similiraties to Catholicism in certain parts of this sources as a away to indoctrinate the indigenous population

Remeber that Ce Acatl Topilzin and the aztec god Quetzacoalt are not the same person, of course Ce Acatl Topilzin does have a lot of mythologized elements from the few sources that survived colonization, also some other sources were written during the colony, which explain some similiraties to Catholicism in certain parts of this sources as a away to indoctrinate the indigenous population
By the Wikipedia article, his full name is Cē Ācatl Topiltzin Quetzalcoatl.
I don't know why a Toltec king had on his name a name of a god. But it is as it is.
And was that Toltec Quetzalcoalt who Montezuma II thought be Hernan Cortez.

Thinking about this mythological spin off, once I read Carl Jung saying all nations have the myth of dragons.
So, Aztec dragon should be Quetzalcoalt.
1683386378459.jpeg

Inca dragon could be Amaru

1683386345714.jpeg

Brazilian dragon could be Boitatá.

From Guarani could be Mboi tu'i

From Africa I don't know that much, I think Damballah Wedo from Dahomey fit well this "Dragonish" casta.

From all Europe we have the same kind of dragons, as far I know:
1683386625529.jpeg

and Chinese dragons are a bit distincts:

Sumerian Dragon could be Tiamat

What more dragons we could put?

Last edited:
Thinking about this mythological spin off, once I read Carl Jung saying all nations have the myth of dragons.
So, Aztec dragon should be Quetzalcoalt.
View attachment 661259

Inca dragon could be Amaru

View attachment 661258

Brazilian dragon could be Boitatá.

From Guarani could be Mboi tu'i

From Africa I don't know that much, I think Damballah Wedo from Dahomey fit well this "Dragonish" casta.

From all Europe we have the same kind of dragons, as far I know:
View attachment 661260
and Chinese dragons are a bit distincts:

What more dragons we could put?
The Rainbow Serpent?

EDIT: Tiamat would be cool as a Sumerian deity. I’d love to play against her in D&D (not the same though)

Last edited:
The Rainbow Serpent?
Damballah Wedo of Dahomey is also a rainbow serpent.
But I google it a bit and discover aboriginal of Australia also have the myth of a Rainbow Serpent.
What of those Rainbow Serpent are you talking about?
Also, I was googling a little more and find the VIkings also have it's own dragon called: Jörmundgander

I also remeber a history of Dragonish snake on ancient Egypt mythology, something at the night the sun god fight with this snake and the blood of the snake is the red color of the morning sky. But I can't find the name of this Egyptian snake.

By the Wikipedia article, his full name is Cē Ācatl Topiltzin Quetzalcoatl.
I don't know why a Toltec king had on his name a name of a god. But it is as it is.
And was that Toltec Quetzalcoalt who Montezuma II thought be Hernan Cortez.
Remember that there were also Greek people with god names it's not that hard to understand, also remember that Quetzalcoalt is an adaption of the yucatec maya god Kukulkan and yeah Ce Acatl Topiltzin was associated with the god Quetzalcoatl but still not the same person, maybe to some aztec he was but again he was mytholigized and we some of those sources made after Colonization have clear spaniard intervention.

Let's try another slant on this topic:
Mythologized Leaders/Characters for Civilizations:

Japan - Miyamoto Musashi, Ishikawa Goemon, Tomoe Gozen, Kintaro, Momotaro
Rome - Cincinnatus
Greece - Achilles, Heracles, Odysseus, Alcibaides
France - Jeanne d'Arc, Roland
England - Arturos Pendragon, Merlin, Wat Tyler
Germany - Barbarossa (the myth, not the real Emperor!), Baron Munchausen
Russia - Rurik, Ivan Susanin, Stenka Razin
Ukraine - also Rurik! Bohdan Khmelnitskii, Stepan Bandera, Ilya Muromets
Scotland - William Wallace
Spain - Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar (El Cid)
Arabia - Antarah ibn Shaddad
Burma - Anawratha
Portugal - Viriathus
Netherlands - Piet Hein
China - Guo Ziyi, Wen Tianxiang, Judge Dee, Fong Sai-Yuk, Hua Mulan, Hung Hei-Gun
Ireland - Cuchulainn, Fionn mac Cumhaill
Georgia - Koba
USA - Joe Magarac, Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed

Some are real people that got 'enhanced' by tall tales, others may have been real, some are completely fiction. All would bring something different to the Leader UA table, or as Great People of wildly variable attributes . . .

I don't think Jeanne d'Arc is quite mythologized enough in the popular understanding of her to fit so well.

Canada - Big Joe Mufferaw.

I don't think Jeanne d'Arc is quite mythologized enough in the popular understanding of her to fit so well.

Canada - Big Joe Mufferaw.
Amost ALL of the names will create controversy somewhere, because the mythologizing process inherently creates simplistic heroes/heroines out of complex real people or cardboard fictional creations to advance some personal/political/nationalistic agenda. Creating any kind of commercial game using them would be a minefield of potentially upset customers world-wide.

Oh my problem wasn’t people being upset over inclusion so much as the fact she feels boring compared to many of the other choices - too down to earth and realistic.

England - Wat Tyler
Are these ones really that mythologized? I had planned a campaign for AoE2 based on Wat Tyler's rebellion, and none of the sources I read seemed to the degree of portrayal as anyone else listed here, nor any sources I read for the other two I quoted (anymore than Che Gueverra could be considered mytholgized).

Hasn't she been the leader of France in Civ3 ?
Yes, and in Civ2.

No Agamemnon, Theseus, Priam, or Hippolyta, who ACTUALLY were mythological sovereigns and rulers, unlike those quoted above?

And no Ayar Manco for the Inca, who is also thoroughly mythologized?

Last edited:
Also, any member of the Rurik Dynasties are before the separation of Russians and Ukrainians (and Belarussians) as distinct cultural, linguistic, and ethnic groups and back in the days of the Old East Slavs.

And Jimmu Tenno of Japan and Arjuna Palava of India are conspicuous by their absence.

Last edited:
Oh my problem wasn’t people being upset over inclusion so much as the fact she feels boring compared to many of the other choices - too down to earth and realistic.
Yes, in that light, Roland is much more up to what's expected in this thread.

Let's try another slant on this topic:
Mythologized Leaders/Characters for Civilizations:

Japan - Miyamoto Musashi, Ishikawa Goemon, Tomoe Gozen, Kintaro, Momotaro
Rome - Cincinnatus
France - Jeanne d'Arc, Roland
England - Arturos Pendragon, Merlin, Wat Tyler
Germany - Barbarossa (the myth, not the real Emperor!), Baron Munchausen
Arabia - Antarah ibn Shaddad
Burma - Anawratha
Portugal - Viriathus
Netherlands - Piet Hein
China - Guo Ziyi, Wen Tianxiang, Judge Dee, Fong Sai-Yuk, Hua Mulan, Hung Hei-Gun
Ireland - Cuchulainn, Fionn mac Cumhaill
Georgia - Koba
USA - Joe Magarac, Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed

Some are real people that got 'enhanced' by tall tales, others may have been real, some are completely fiction. All would bring something different to the Leader UA table, or as Great People of wildly variable attributes . . .
And no one for all of Norway, Egypt, Persia, and Babylon in a Mythologized thread on the first list is also a weird oversight...

So if there was a hypothetical Mythological civ game here would be my initial list of civs and leaders:
Assyria-Semiramis
Aztecs=Quetzacoatl
Britain-Arthur Pendragon
China-Huangdi
Egypt-Menes
Ethiopia-Makeda, as in the Queen of Sheba
Gaul-Asterix :mischief:
Greece-Perseus
Inca-Manco Capac
India-Arjuna Pandava
Iroquois-Jigonhsasee
Japan-Himiko
Khmer-Preah Thong
Norse-Ragnar Lodbrok
Maya-Hunakpu and Xbalanque
Persia-Scheherazade
Phoenicia-Dido
Romania-Vlad Dracula
Rome-Romulus
Russia-Ivan Tsarevich
Sumer-Gilgamesh
Vietnam-An Duong Vuong
Yoruba-Sango

Last edited:
No Agamemnon, Theseus, Priam, or Hippolyta, who ACTUALLY were mythological sovereigns and rulers, unlike those quoted above?

And no Ayar Manco for the Inca, who is also thoroughly mythologized?
To make a complete list I would have actually had to do some research, and Civ isn't worth the time any more. Civ VI is dead as a doornail, and Civ VII is, I suspect, too far along to be warped around to anything we suggest.

Top Bottom