Civilization V: Who/What Am I?

Okay, I'll go.

Hint:

I am a military unit, and in the real world, I was originally designed to counter other military units that were never explicitly represented in Civilization II, III, IV, or V. Ironically, I eventually came to serve in the real world combat role of the military unit I was originally designed to counter.

StormFallen got it right, so it's his turn.

I'm heading out for a few hours (and I haven't thought of anything yet), so mintcandy can go.

Mobile SAM?

Nope, it's not a mobile SAM, although it is a good guess, as I think it fits the clues.

Anti-Aircraft Gun?

Nope, it's not AAA, although it is also a good guess.

StormFallen got it right, so it's his turn.

Oops. Sorry.

Thanks stormfallen. I've already got three more separate hints after this one.

I'm no good at guessing from terse clues. I have more fun researching into historical tidbits and creating allegorical red herrings. :(

Anyhow, two guesses down, eight more to go!

Lancer

+1 stormfallen

Hint: I am a military unit, and in the real world, I was originally designed to counter other military units that were never explicitly represented in Civilization II, III, IV, or V. Ironically, I eventually came to serve in the real world combat role of the military unit I was originally designed to counter.

Ironclad?

Anti Tank Gun?

No, it's not the Anti Tank Gun.

No, it's not the Lancer. I don't much about the history of mounted units, so it's hard for me to say if the Lancer also fits the clues.

+1 stormfallen

Ironclad? I dunno; maybe "Ironically" and "Ironclad" has "Iron" in it and iron is precious on the first few weeks of Minecraft

No, not the Ironclad, and no, "Ironically" isn't a play on words, it's meant literally. :p

Nope, not the Tercio.

Six guesses down, four to go!

Hint: I was in Civilization II, but I was not in Civilization I. My English name reflects part of the mission I was originally designed for. In other languages, my original mission is fully reflected.

Marine

Nope, not the Crusader.

Um, is there some scenario with a Crusader unit now?

..Helicopter?

No, not the Helicopter.

The mystery item is: the Destroyer.

I am a military unit, and in the real world, I was originally designed to counter other military units that were never explicitly represented in Civilization II, III, IV, or V.

Destroyers were originally assigned as counters to torpedo boats, that is small, fast, torpedo armed ships that were serious threats to late 19th and early 20th century battleships.

These ships were given the task of "torpedo boat destroying", hence their original English name: torpedo boat destroyers.

Torpedo boats have never explicitly been represented in the four Civilization games that I am familiar with, although Submarines are a rough modern analogue to torpedo boats.

Ironically, I eventually came to serve in the real world combat role of the military unit I was originally designed to counter.

Since the ships that were designed to counter the fast torpedo boats had to be bigger than the small torpedo boats, and just as fast, it was quickly realized that the torpedo boat destroyers could also be armed with torpedoes, making them just as much a threat to slow battleships as torpedo boats themselves were.

I was in Civilization II, but I was not in Civilization I.

I've never played Civilization I, but I was surprised to see the Destroyer not represented in Civilization I, especially considering that Submarines were in Civ I. The original version of this clue was supposed to be "I am in Civilization II, III, IV, and V, but not in Civilization I." I quickly realized that would give the Destroyer away pretty quickly. :p

My English name reflects part of the mission I was originally designed for. In other languages, my original mission is fully reflected.

The English name for destroyers pays homage to part of their original purpose: they destroy torpedo boats. In languages such as French, Italian, Dutch, Polish and Greek, the name for this type of ship retains its original torpedo boat killing mission.

Bleh, I was thinking of guessing Destroyers, but didn't see how they replaced the unit they countered. Very well done!
Crusaders are a Civ II unit by the way.

My turn now, then?

I don't work well with others.

(Yes, this is quite vague)

Bleh, I was thinking of guessing Destroyers, but didn't see how they replaced the unit they countered. Very well done!

I forgot to mention that the original torpedo boats were typically small coastal craft that were barely seaworthy. Torpedo boat destroyers tended to be more capable in the open seas, which gave them more operational capability than the small torpedo boats. Destroyers outperformed torpedo boats in almost every category except for cost.

My turn now, then?

I don't work well with others.

(Yes, this is quite vague)

It's either Isabella or Montezuma.

I'll go with Montezuma.

Top Bottom