Civs that Give You Fits

OK, now the most annoying personality.

Gotta be Joao for me. Always asking for a handout (without the looks of Cathy), is a pain to get peace with during a war, and that smirk he gives me when I tell him to get lost makes me want to smack to computer moniter.

and that smirk he gives me when I tell him to get lost makes me want to smack to computer moniter.
This is something many of the leaderheads have in common. Personally i find this aspect of the game very unpleasant - i assume it's done on purpose, as it was the same with CivIII... But i really wish this is going to change for Civ 5...

Modding the gamefiles directly is unfortunate when you play multiplayer as the game gives warning about players with different game files(after all it is possible to mod better condition for oneselves and hence abuse it as cheating). There are a ton of bugs with the game and the fact that fraxis don't fix it is really unfortunate.

Can't you just keep 2 DLLs? A modded one for SP, and an untouched one for MP?

Now other leaders animations/introduction I hate/love

Hate:
Lincoln; come on man, would you just look at me?
JC; I really expected more from the great Roman leader.
Pucal: Spoiled Brat
Isabella: the woman just will not shutup.
Wang Kong: Does this guy ever smile. Seams like he's ticked even at friendly.

Love:
Boudica: Love her when she happy, really love to see her ticked off!
Hammarabi: regal one moment, but moved in with that eager/miserly expression.
Al: What' not to love about crushing 50,000 eneimes?
Gilgamesh: Real cool, even better when the humangod grabs you by the neck to refuse a deal.
Cathy; Getting slapped by her just striked me as funny. I often ask the same thing over and over again (yeah, these little things amuse me).
Ragnar: He's a slob, somehow I have feel I have an immediate kinsmanship with him!
Suliman: Guy just looks dam regal, fits the part of "Suliman the Magnificent"

Well I started asking about which Civs are lousy to play, but a lot of people are chiming in with their least favorite to go up against too.

For that I would have to say Montezuma. I've got to wear I think OH NO when I hear the first couple of notes of his music when I first meet him. He's so untrustworthy, he can go from pleased to furious at the drop of a hat and usually declares war on you at least once during the course of a game, even if you're peaceful. If you want to wipe him out, he can sometimes be a real pain in the neck with all his aggresive troops. Seems like I get him in half my games too.

Yea, some are actually nice/funny. I think Gilgameshs "Refuse" is my favourite :D
Also Monthy with his feathers and that hilareous skull :lol:

But my feeling - that might also be the result of selective memory - is that the "ugly" ones are the majority. Also the fact that they allways play the Annoyed animation first, when you just open up diplo, before switching to the actual mood :aargh: .... (I think with the exception of first contact, where actually "Greeting" is displayed...)

Animations?
Hate:
Lincoln. C'mon! Just look at me, you pansy!
Victoria. Ugly.
Pericles. He was supposedly brilliant, but can't find his way out of a helmet. Definitely the most cartoony, and thus the most annoying.

Love:
Churchill. The nod makes me laugh.
Gilgamesh. The entire "lift-you-up-snarl-in-your-face" routine is so politically incorrect, its amazing!

I usually dont care who I play, I pick random and go from there.

I used to always and I mean ALWAYS play Brennus of the Celts and eventually mastered him to the point I could win anyway with him. Because of that I have learned not to let the leader I am drastically effect the type of game I am playing. Brennus had a Crappy UU and a Crappy UB. So I learned to win without a UU and UB. Now when I play random leaders, the UU and UB are simply bonuses, not required for my plans.

My most recent games:

Vassalizing Domination win with Hannibal of Carthage
Domination win with Kublai Khan of Mongolia
Space Race win with Wang Kon of Korea
Cultural win with Elizabeth of England

Currently, I am in the middle of a game with the Mayans. 4 Continents, (Revolutions mod, so Civs up the ying yang) I control a continent and most likely will win by Space Race.

Anywho, like I said, I will play any leader, anyway...

Oh and I play on Prince, so I am in no way claiming I am an expert.

JC; I really expected more from the great Roman leader.

I feel you. What gives with that Mr. Burns-like thumbs up/down that he does? Man...

Maybe he's trying to come across to you as a silly, harmless looking, skinny old clown so you're all the more surprised when the legions show up?

I think the OP meant leaders you start with, not neighbors.

The one neighbor I detest is Suryamanan. He is nuts, creative, and militarily agressive. I have had him send a stack against me from halway across a Pangea map.

He's fantastic to play as, though. Especially on a tropical map.

And now since we're also talking about leaderheads, I'm gonna have to vote Gilgamesh as a favorite, too, followed by Hammurabi. I love what they've done with their beards! Also: Suleiman and Mehmed for style, Boudicia for great animations, Ghengis for looking really cool in that thin air, steppe sunlight.

I hate Churchill, his animation is stiff and he looks a lot less human than the others.

Well I started asking about which Civs are lousy to play, but a lot of people are chiming in with their least favorite to go up against too.

For that I would have to say Montezuma. I've got to wear I think OH NO when I hear the first couple of notes of his music when I first meet him. He's so untrustworthy, he can go from pleased to furious at the drop of a hat and usually declares war on you at least once during the course of a game, even if you're peaceful. If you want to wipe him out, he can sometimes be a real pain in the neck with all his aggresive troops. Seems like I get him in half my games too.

I can't agree with this. He techs so miserably poorly. Also, I like warmongers as friends. I will always push to be same religion as cathy/izzy/monty (less so cathy). Friendly warmongers will fight almost anyone you want them to, which is sooooooo convenient :).

I'm always chafing when trying to play Sitting Bull. With an ancient age UU, an ancient age obsoleting UB and one military trait, he seems to be best at early warfare... however, his UU is actually a downgrade for offensive purposes.
Economic, offensive and expansion-related bonuses can be leveraged; a defensive overkill not so much.

Most CRE leaders are unpleasant as neighbours thanks to their encroachment on your territory; most are also unpleasant personality-wise. I especially dislike Gilgamesh since PRO means he's quite hard to dislodge.

I really hate charemagne, for some reason he just irritates the heck out of me... Also the egyptian woman leader (forgotten name) has an irritating tendency of keeping asking to have free technologies off of my civ.

The one neighbor I detest is Suryamanan. He is nuts, creative, and militarily agressive. I have had him send a stack against me from halway across a Pangea map.

Same thing happened to me. I fought a bitter defensive war eventually sending a raiding party through 2 other civs to get to him and pillage a few things. Meanwhile that neutral S.O.B. Willem just keeps plowing through the tech tree. Then Suleiman backstabs me after centuries of peaceful religious friendship and only then does Willem decide to jump in and 'help' me by nuking the hell out of the Ottoman heartland and embarassing my infantry and artillery stacks with his countless legions of tanks.

I hate all three of these leaders passionately.

I feel you. What gives with that Mr. Burns-like thumbs up/down that he does? Man...

Maybe he's trying to come across to you as a silly, harmless looking, skinny old clown so you're all the more surprised when the legions show up?

Didn't Romans actually do this historically in the colosseums? Thumbs up meant the person lived, and thumbs down died? Maybe I'm just watching too many movies...but I thought it was something along those lines.

Charlemagne seems difficult to play. He does have a nice UB for colonization and corporations, IF you have anything to get to that point.

Charlemagne seems difficult to play. He does have a nice UB for colonization and corporations, IF you have anything to get to that point.

Tried playing Charlie once, he was difficult. I gave up, never tried him again!

Top Bottom