Civs that, upon discovery, become Target #1!

Poland AI always gets the best starts in my games. Either a salt start or lots of horses, or both. If they are allowed to get their unique unit they just steamroll all their neighbours.
Good thing is, they tend to focus too much on those Hussars. So I usually bulb to proper bombers before DOW and then just slaughter them before they become Helicopters.

^^Those Hussars are tough to kill. Was playing a game last night, and Poland was my neighbor. We got along at first, but then he went beserk and was constantly declaring war on me. I was able to repel the attacks (and he had a huge army). We'd settle for peace eventually, and then when that was up, he'd declare war again and again. And he was steamrolling everyone, and wiped out two other civs.

Finally, when I got artillery, I went on the offensive. And took his capital and two other cities. But his Hussars wreaked havoc on my riflemen and gatling guns.

It's fine by me. If they're a spammer, they probably prioritised Faith and had an early Religion so I can just use Faith to build all their buildings. Maybe an army. Maybe my Universities (if that gets spread, bubblewrap cities with units until you've got your purchases).

Maybe even conquer the pair of 'em when I've got their goodies and am ready to fill Piety and go all Justinian on the religious infrastructure they've provided. Sacred sites without any buildings of your own? Awesome XD

…oh, and that conversion popup is nowhere near as annoying as Y U NO OPEN BORDERS ;)

It can be really annoying, but must admit to chuckling when opposing missionary/prophets battle each other to add their faith to my city and as stated it's - handy for the different faith buildings you can buy then you just use an inquisitor to get your original faith back.

Well Alexander obviously is just asking for it. In my games Ramzes is usually the whining one so he's also prioritised (plus gives a wonder bonus). England is my top priority on any water map.

While Ram, Pocatello, and Hiawatha may be annoying forward-settlers, they're usually not super aggressive and march armies to your front door because you forward settled them and they denounced you five turns after you met, they aren't nearly as bad as Alex. Also, all four of them usually aren't real threats to win the game, they over-expand, and Alex and Ram specifically dump to many resources into CS's. Also, Pocatello, Ram, and Hiawatha are easy to get DoF's with usually.

Warmongers aren't fun either, whenever you try to go peaceful and get your science up, you get an army at your doorstep if you're not willing to bribe them to attack others. That's what makes them non-threats though, you just pay them 5 GPT to attack a neighbor, by the time their special UU's are ineffective you can take them on the battlefield. Genghis, Attila, Ashurbanipal, and Shaka all lose value significantly after their UU's are obsolete. You can usually take them easily if you haven't already by the time you reach Dynamite. If they conquer an AI or two, they'll be struggling with happiness, so you can just get a few great works, pick a different ideology and tourism bomb them until their cities flip to you.

The real threats are the good AI's, like Russia, Rome, Germany, Poland, and oh that bastard Sejong. They get their science up early, tank, expand, blob and then snowball. From then on they pick their victory type, and your window can close very early, made much harder if you have Sejon's Hwacha's raining death down on you.

My favorite neighbors, when warmongering, are the wonder-spammers, thank you Ramsees, Enrico, William, how nice of you to build Notre Dame! What a nice gift.

When your peaceful, my bro has always been Morocco, if you don't step on his toes he'll likely throw you a DoF, and he's quite loyal too. But America is the king of loyalty, he's a bit harder to get a DoF with, but once your friends you're bros for the game. But if he hates you, he'll hate you. Pachacuti is another friendly guy as well.

Freakin Hiawatha!
He wont win the game, but f you are close to him, he wll claim all the land (good or not) before you can react.

Attila is one of those that can go either way. You can bribe him to get rid of those useless Hiawatha-cities which always are founded on the wrong tile.

But then, no matter how great friends you are and if he can, he will make that citadel that takes your land. You. Must. Never. Do. That.

So irritating you just want to get rid of him sooner or later. Self-destructive sod.

Speaking of Atillia. I just had him in a game Friday night (emperor level). He was a royal pain in the butt. We were practically at war the entire game. We'd settle for peace, and when that peace treaty expired, he attacked again.

But then again--I'm used to him doing that. But you think he'd learn his lesson and not attack me anymore, especially since every time he goes to war with me, I wipe out his troops.

No one mentioned Venice? They are so easy to kill in the beginning and sooo annoying when they eat up all the City States...

Plus they are always ahead in Science in my games. :p

Man you guys make it sound so easy just to kill the civ when you see it. I don't know how you get it done though.

any tips on how and when to take them out?

As soon as I see that Eastern Orthodoxy has been founded, I pretty much start planning for an invasion of Ethiopia. (occasionally I am relieved to find it's just Byzantium or someone else) Only Alexander triggers a similar reaction from me, for obvious reasons.

My number 1 priority is Pocatello? Pocahontis? The Incan one, he's always been too aggressive with his forward settling 8 squares from my capital in past games, now I have a scout waiting near my territory with sight promotion and when I see his settler coming my way I snatch him.

As for Alex I don't play with him in my games, my blood pressure couldn't take it.

As for warmongers I rarely have any problems with them, I just bribe them to attack others until I build up a good enough army to take their capital if needs be then leave them alone - so long as I keep upgrading my units I rarely have any more problem from them just the odd denouncement. And I always seem to be friends with Genghis Khan and Atilla, it's the culture civs I have problems with as I don't allow them open borders.

For me, the Shoshone are the most annoying AI in the game. They tend to forward settle, so if you are close to them they grab all the good land with the UA, and in my games they also mass build the wonders i go for. If you leave them alone, they become very powerful during the industrial/modern era and they will be a pain to war against, especially with those Comanche Riders that just appear out of nowhere to destroy your artillery. If I am near them I will try to eliminate them.

My number 1 priority is Pocatello? Pocahontis? The Incan one, he's always been too aggressive with his forward settling 8 squares from my capital in past games, now I have a scout waiting near my territory with sight promotion and when I see his settler coming my way I snatch him.
Pocatello is the Shoshone leader, Pachacuti is the Inca leader.

Mayans, Celts, or Ethiopia. I hate having to compete with their religion, especially when they get help from their UA/UB, and they inevitably fill out all of Piety tree, so it is near impossible to keep my religion without war.

Also China, because I had them settle a city boarding my capital before turn 50 and a diplomatic notifier said that they believe that I'm building cities too aggressively.

I use a simple formula, is any AI Capital is within 10 tiles of my first city...they are going away asap.

Austria. I hate her UA, I think it's really over powered and annoying. I had to DoW her in my current game just to protect all my allied City States. (And I don't like looking at her either.)

Hiawatha - City spamming, backstabbing jerk.
Pocatello or Egypt - Wonder spammers that don't favor military
Zulu - One the worst civs to go to war with.
Greece - Keeps stealing my City States away

Top Bottom