Client states--> Vassals-->Protectorates-->Puppets

Metecury

Prince
A feature that was missing in civ 5 was that of vassalage and generally binding through force (or diplomacy) other civs to you.

I think it would be very interesting to see a vassalage system being reintroduced and expanded in civ 6. Instead of having vassalage unlock in the medieval era it would be nice to have it tide to civics and have different type of asymmetric alliance/relationship between nations be unlocked in different eras.

In the classical era we could have client states giving a small part of their gold/culture/science to their overlord on top of open borders to their ovrkord but not being bound to follow him into war unless they chose to. The client state can declare itself independent at any time and fight for its freedom.

In the medieval era vassalage is unlocked giving even more gold/culture /science to the overlord and forcing the vassal to join wars. The vassal can still declare independence and fight for it.

In the industrial era protectorates are unlocked, same thing as vassals but cannot declare independence and have to be liberated by a third party or by the overlord to be independent. Even more yealds given to the overlord.

Finally in the modern era you get puppets and similarly to how in civ 6 you can use gold to control city states units you can use the puppets units for a time. The kicker here is that the overlord can wage proxy wars through the puppet without bring at war itself.

I think this would add much to diplomacy, make the game more interesting and create more fun situations. What do you guys think?

That would be Interesting
+there should be separatistic movements in modern era in puppet states.
+the could provide half of their strategic resources.

Like the idea, though I'd prefer reading it with a little less white space...

Would also like to see some sliding scale between city states and full empires, where a state can grow into an empire or an empire that only just survives can become a city states (after all, nothign was predefined in the real world).

Like the idea, though I'd prefer reading it with a little less white space...

Would also like to see some sliding scale between city states and full empires, where a state can grow into an empire or an empire that only just survives can become a city states (after all, nothign was predefined in the real world).

Sorry for the formatting but it's hard to tell from the phone :p

On the city states I agree with you, it should be more dynamic and less fixed.

Great idea, its a feature I missed from Civ4.

Mmmm, can I expand that idea with a suggestion? Rather than it just being a tool for keeping a civ down, there could be some sort of mechanism that benefits the vassal - especially a human player that voluntarily becomes a vassal.

I play immortal regularly (cant beat deity) and I generally know that if I have the Aztecs, Zulu or Mongols as an immediate neighbor from the ancient era, i'm likely to be a pancake by classical.

I'd love to be able to approach them with an offer that will see me protected as a vassal (cost of gold, luxuries, resources) while I benefit from being their vassal with more science, culture and protection.

Great idea, its a feature I missed from Civ4.

Mmmm, can I expand that idea with a suggestion? Rather than it just being a tool for keeping a civ down, there could be some sort of mechanism that benefits the vassal - especially a human player that voluntarily becomes a vassal.

I play immortal regularly (cant beat deity) and I generally know that if I have the Aztecs, Zulu or Mongols as an immediate neighbor from the ancient era, i'm likely to be a pancake by classical.

I'd love to be able to approach them with an offer that will see me protected as a vassal (cost of gold, luxuries, resources) while I benefit from being their vassal with more science, culture and protection.

Actually that would be even better! The option to make vassals is something that is really needed especially in multiplayer if you are playing with friends and having it be mutually beneficial would make it even better!

Perhaps as time progresses you get more tributes in terms of gold/culture etc as the overlord but give in return faster tech research and amenities bonuses to the vassal?

I like that.

The Vassal gives tributes to the main empire, and gets technological diffusion and safety in return.

I do think that it should be mostly benificial to the main empire though, and I think that willingly becoming a Vassal (so for another reason than because the other empire has so much more military power that you'd get wiped if you wouldn't become a vassal) should, at least in the long term, be a bad idea. It should only be something to get yourself through hard times.

I love that idea, remind this of CIV 4 Vassalage, I hope the idea for able to vassalize Civs like CIV 4 but Civs will have more chance to rebels against overlord than city states do

Top Bottom