Coal Power Plant production bonus

I always think that the Production bonus of this building is so much stronger than its siblings. I mean, bonus Production equal to the adjacency bonus? Compared to only 3 and 4 from the Oil and Nuclear Plants? Sign me up.
And then only now I just realize the Coal plant bonus does not get extended to all cities in 6 tiles around it, the power still does, but the production is only local.

Yeah, coal has pulled ahead of oil thanks to the adjacency changes. I still prefer oil due to the regional bonus and liking diplomatic favour. Nuclear is a dumpster fire and needs to be reworked.

Nuclear is a dumpster fire and needs to be reworked.

Yup, having to keep track of the turns yourself without any warnings/notifications is very realistic...

I have literally never built a nuclear power plant before the December update, and only just built one to get the eureka... only to immediately replace it with a good ol fashioned coal plant at the first opportunity.

One thing I did notice in my latest game is that I think the Nuclear Plant science bonus will apply regionally even to those cities with a coal plant, so that's a small bonus. But yeah, especially with all the other industrial bonuses, if you're running the double IZ adjacency card, a coal plant is going to give you at least 8-10 production.

I do find it's useful to have some of the other plants around, if only to do better on power and to give you at least a little bit extra to those cities that don't have an IZ. But it certainly means that in any city you care about, you absolutely can't run anything but a coal plant.

Coal Power Plants are really strong if you need a city with high production like a spaceport/wonder city (military as well maybe, most of the time you wont hard build military at that stage of the game though). They also shine when you get alot of IZs since you can only profit from one power plant anyway (apart from a Magnus city with the right promotion) and the adjacency card is more valuable when you have lots of IZs as well. Coal is also less important than Oil for units since less units (only Ironclad and Battleships) need coal. Also you will need Oil for your lategame units but will stop to use Coal for units at some point when you get Destroyers/Missile Cruiser.

In games where you dont need alot of IZs Oil is usually better then Coal since the +3 spread to nearby cities too. An Oil PP reaching 6 cities generates 18 production. If you want to get 18 production from a Coal PP you need a +9 IZ, which is not impossible but not that common after all. So in a culture game for example where you don't want to ruin your appeal with alot of IZs Oil PPs are (imo) the better option. Oil PPs are also better in areas where you are going to settle soon or have lots of new cities since +3 production in one of these helps alot.

I really don't like Nuclear PPs since you have to run those projects and uranium is usually quite rare.

One thing I did notice in my latest game is that I think the Nuclear Plant science bonus will apply regionally even to those cities with a coal plant, so that's a small bonus. But yeah, especially with all the other industrial bonuses, if you're running the double IZ adjacency card, a coal plant is going to give you at least 8-10 production.

I do find it's useful to have some of the other plants around, if only to do better on power and to give you at least a little bit extra to those cities that don't have an IZ. But it certainly means that in any city you care about, you absolutely can't run anything but a coal plant.
Yeah I'm about to say this as well, the science bonus always applies to all cities in range regardless, but 3 science is pretty small especially when you already have nuclear power plants unlocked though. I guess it is still worth it to build just one to get a Eureka and a bit of Science out of it.

Last edited:
Another thing is that oil is much more important militarily than coal, and I dunno about you guys but I always find myself short on oil

Another thing is that oil is much more important militarily than coal, and I dunno about you guys but I always find myself short on oil

Researching oil starts the last wave of colonization in my games. Or conquest American-style.

Nuclear power can be very useful in science games if low on aluminum since you can chop the other spaceport projects in bulk and not lose power. Regional effects can also be better than the coal if the IZ is placed to hit many cities, but has poor adjacency. Nuclear is much cleaner than coal so you won't nuke your diplo favor that can be turned into bulk cash every turn. So there's a tradeoff.

I don't know, as things are now, I only find coal plants relevant to some extent. A targeted boost in a city, doubled by a policy card may be very tangible. Other types of power plants just fall out of the picture, because I usually cannot find any need or time for them. That is on standard size and speed deity games.

On continents (and islands) or (splintered) fractal maps that don't have excessive landmass as lakes, inland sea, seven seas and similar map types have, oil is usually pretty scarce, so I want it for my few units if I bother to upgrade them at all, because it is not unusual for me to leave them at muskets and pike and shot stage, so oil plants are an extremely rare bird in my games, and nuclear power plants are like dragons - a mythical creature, never seen in real life.

It is much easier just to cancel out the coal plant pollution with hydro power plants and other kind of renewable energy than bother about oil or uranium. And I haven't built a GDR in ages, btw, another mythical creature. And I usually get to computers and build the flood barriers before the world inevitably sinks. (Btw, are they going to fix that annoying bug where deforestation goes from 0% to 50% in one turn?)

As for victory types, my victory landscape was rather boring lately: RV or DV.
If I bother to get a religion, then it is kinda pointless to go for other types of victory, because this will be the fastest exit route from the late game quagmire. For that you don't need to bother with any power plants.
If I don't get a religion, it's diplomacy then. As effortless as it can be and without all that hassle of pushing around apostles (or troops). The game can end before you even reach power plant types other than coal. AI seems to ignore SoL lately. And if you do miss it, well, 30-60 more turns, whatever:)

Yeah, I do waves of 'liberators' America style to get oil, aluminium and uranium. Especially uranium.

Top Bottom