Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

Is it just me, or has the CL Commonwealth experienced a silent coup. #freeTPangolin

I've been behind the scenes working with some others on some really, really cool projects that Neirai can attest to.

Let's just say we're developing a utility with the potential to speed up updating our old XML-based mods :) (amongst other things).

Also, just as some fair warning - the first civilization on the CL:AA hype train will be the Yolgnu! Choo Choo! Please send me all of your ideas to my inbox/steam

Also, just as some fair warning - the first civilization on the CL:AA hype train will be the Yolgnu! Choo Choo! Please send me all of your ideas to my inbox/steam

Well you've seen mine already. I'm willing to make some adjustments to it, but the Tourism focus is a hill I'm prepared to die on.

Australia is already focused heavily on trade and Tourism though.

Isn't it Yolngu, not Yolgnu? I would agree with Reedstilt in the fact that tourism would be the best fit for them, haven't seen Reedstilt's plan yet, but tourism for making friends would be my idea for a core mechanic.

It is Yolngu / Yolŋu, as you say Mewr11. "Yolgnu" is a fairly common typo though, so I won't fault anyone for that. My Yolngu design is modification of a design I apparently had in my back in January 2014 (based on when I posted it on this forum), and it looks like the core of the argument Pang and I have been having goes all the way back to then, too. Of course, I know more about the inner workings of the game and have altered the design since then. Here's the design as it currently stands for me:

Spoiler :
Unique Ability: Garma Festival - All :greatwork: Great Works provide +1 :c5goldenage: Golden Age Point. During Golden Ages, they instead provide +1 :c5gold: Gold and +1 :tourism: Tourism.
Unique Unit: Djunggaya (Archaeologist) - Available with Theology and does not require a University. While in a City or on Landmark or Holy Site, it provides +1 :c5greatperson: Points toward Great Artists and Great Musicians to the City that works its tile. Cannot recover Artifacts, but instantly converts Archaeological Sites to Landmarks.
Unique Building: Rock Art Gallery (Stone Works) - Provides +1 :c5culture: Culture to Stone and Marble. Has a Great Work of Art Slot and generates +1 :c5greatperson: Points in its City per incoming Trade Route.

TPangolin wants a more Trade / Exploration oriented Civ. I'm considering changing the the Unique Building to something that would be fit into the Trade aspect of the Civ (partially to appeal to TPangolin, partially because I want to make Djulirri as a World Wonder and I could use the current UB idea for its effects).

For E&D support, this is what I'm thinking about but these ideas are still rather rough.
Spoiler :
Wangga Music: Must possess a Great Musician. Gain Tourism whenever a Great Musician is born.
Trepanger Processing: Gain 2 Sources of Trepang Luxury resource. Incoming Trade Routes generate +1 Gold in all Coastal Cities. This one would probably drop out if I go for a trade-oriented UB.
Issue the Bark Petitions: Initiates a Golden Age. Maybe includes a Diplomacy boost of some sort.

Still mulling over ideas for Events.

I would countersuggest this UA:
Spoiler :
Unique Ability: Garma Festival - All :greatwork: Great Works provide +1 :c5gold: Gold for each trade route between you and a foreign civ. During a Golden Age, the efficiency of your trade routes with a foreign civ is multiplied by your Tourism modifier with that civ."

It's more trade-oriented but still very tourism focused.

Here's my current plan for them:

Yolngu:

Unique Ability: Songs of Arnhem Land - Gain 50% of the :c5happy: Happiness from Luxury Resources not connected to your Trade Network from Cities that you have a :trade: Trade Route with. :c5greatperson: Cultural Great Person spawn rate increased for every Outgoing :trade: Trade Route.

Unique Unit: Wangarr Dreamers - Replacing the Scout, when the Wangarr Dreamers discover a Natural Wonder or foreign City, there is a chance that it will provide a boost towards a random :c5greatperson: Cultural Great Person.

Unique Building: Trepanger Camp - Replacing the Harbor, instead of increasing Sea :trade: Trade Route length by 50%, the Trepanger Camp increases both Land and Sea :trade: Trade Route length 5% for every :greatwork: Great Work in the empire.

(Thanks to Arwon and Reedstilt for inspiration)

This is just a quick initial draft, so I'd be happy to take in feedback and amend things as necessary.

Behold! The mighty Yolngu! Map by me.

Here's some more art for the Aboriginals - this time, the Kimberley Aboriginals!

I still remember there being some alternate name for them besides Kimberley? I cannot seem to find it but hm.

Like I'm the person who would rather the Iroquois be called the Haudenosaunee because it's not like that's a particularly longer name than the Anishinaabe or plenty of other civs!

I tend to agree, but we also have a map already, and changing it now could be a pain.

Its just a name... Its not like you have to change the entire map, right?
Also, Iroquois are 2 cool 4 change.

There's also like a dozen groups in the Kimberley according to the map of indigenous nations so I'm not sure if there even is a collective name.

Edit: I can't find a Kimberley equivalent to regional names such as Koori, Murri, or Palawa.

I still remember there being some alternate name for them besides Kimberley? I cannot seem to find it but hm.

Like I'm the person who would rather the Iroquois be called the Haudenosaunee because it's not like that's a particularly longer name than the Anishinaabe or plenty of other civs!

To quote Reedstilt:

Kimberley has been adopted by the Aboriginal communities of the area as an official pan-Kimberley identity. Alternatively, the Worrorra lend their name to the linguistic group of the region (though the Jandamarra is the Bunuba / Punuba, a smaller community neighboring the Worrorra-speaking area of the Kimberley (but still within Kimberley).

As you might've guessed - Jandamarra will be the leader of the Kimberley Civ. The Kimberley Aboriginals will also be receiving the majority of the current Yolngu traits and the Yolngu will be adopting the core ideas and concepts of Reedstilt's original design (but with a few changes).

Crap, I wrote "the Jandamarra"? I would say "what was I thinking?" but I know exactly what I was thinking. In my head the sentence went something like this "though the leader Jandamarra is the Bunuba / Punuba..." Just didn't delete enough of it.

As for the name, a unified political identity for the region is a relatively new development. It's recognized and promoted by organizations like the Kimberley Land Council, the Kimberley Aboriginal Law and Culture Centre, Kimberley Language Resource Centre, the Kimberley Aboriginal Artists, and the Yiriman Project (an offshoot / subsidiary of KALACC).

^This is absolutely justification enough to call the civ "Kimberley' or "Kimberley Aboriginals".

Top Bottom