Colonization Mod for Civ IV

A friend and I are very interested in the completion of this mod... we've played plenty of colonization and would like to see it in CIV4.

/bump

Alright, haven't got much done, but I basicly got the code done to place appropriate pictures on that screen I posted based on what buildings are in the city. I'm going to spend this next week pulling all the different graphics from Colonization and turning them into usable dds files and maybe get the unit images showing on the screen.

In the blank spot where it showed the terrain around the city in Colonization I've got the minimap displayed right now, but there doesn't seeem to be a way to display just specific tiles in a minimap, you have to show the whole thing.
I think I have figured out a way around it, but is going to require a little more work.

I've also started on the European Dock screen, it should be easyer to get up and running, but it will require alot more support code before it will have any acual function.

I've got a buddy working on putting the xml files, units, buildings, ect, together and should have that somtime soon.

I'm mainly putting together things that are independent of any areas affected by BtS, but a couple weeks after it comes out and I see where I'm at I should have an alpha that I can pm to those interested in being testers.

Anyway, just an update, now back to work. :)

Woohoo, I made a great breakthrough today. I figured out how to display the acual 3d graphics of units/buildings/ect on custom screens. :cool:

This means I don't have to pull each and every unit and building graphic from Colonization, instead I can just use the normal civ graphics. :D

Depending on my schedual the next couple days I might post an example mod with the new city screen in it. :)

For those wanting to know what kind of game Colonization was could give FreeCol (SourceForge) a try. Its rather faithful open source remake of the original colonization programmed in Java (hint for jhsveli if you're still around), largest and most noticaple difference being the isometric graphics. (they still need graphics for at least different indian tribes. Also the person working on improved tileset with smoother tile transition seem to have vanished off the radar. For comparison : current and improved tiles. There's also very little in form of sounds and no music presently.)

They just recently released version 0.7.0

There's also Colonies that's in very early stages of developement (0.0.3) that has taken quite different aproach compared to FreeCol above. FreeCol attempts to rather faitful remake with just updated graphics and few gameplay improvements whereas Colonies team seem to have taken "more is better" aproach and have twice the goods than the original as well as new buildings, professions and the like. They seem to have borrowed Civ4's unit promotion system.

Colonies Screenshots

I have BtS now and have been looking through the new code for a few days now and it is going to make this mod soooo much easyer. Many of the main problems I was having to fight with in the SDK were taken care of, Hidden Nationality, Forts as ship ports, multi-domain units, help popups for python action buttons, ect. In the end this gets me down to around 4 SDK mods that are needed.

On the python side, the new events system will simplify all the modcomps for CivColonization. Anyway, I'm on the job now and will post up progress in a few days. :)

The Colonization was one of gratest game ever.
Ideas of: funding fathers, trading with natives, and microeconomy were truly great. The game havent so much tension and rat racing - no wonders etc..
But many thing could be tweaked (for ex. game dosent tell how many turn thing require to build - so i must use a calculator)

As far as i have know - someone already did a exact map of colonization_america.

If this mod will apear it would be gratest mod foc civilization.

*Bump*

What is the news on this mod? It looks like you guys have done excellent preliminary work. Let's get this going again. I am available to assist in the mod design/development.

Let's get working,
Snoop

Top Bottom