Commandos!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Randall Turner, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Randall Turner

Randall Turner King

I usually get one or two scouts with an early goody-hut weapons upgrade. These guys are pure win, they keep the "no terrain cost" attribute throughout their entire lifetime, giving me a couple units I can attack otherwise impossible-to-reach tiles with.

I usually name these units "Rangers" or some such to differentiate from other infantry.

This game, after getting Caravels I bumped into a New Guinea-sized island late-game with a couple of ruins on it. I had one scout left that I'd promoted to +1 view range and +1 movement, I ran him over there and sure enough, one of the ruins gave me another weapons upgrade. :)

Upshot is I ended up with a mechanized infantry with "5" movement that ignores terrain costs, though it's a little light on combat power. My normal infantry units typically have a couple rough terrain combat upgrades, this one's first upgrade points were of course spent on the Scouting abilities so they don't fight quite as well. But it's well worth it.

So, I named them "Commandos" and am very careful with them.

About fifty turns later or so, I'm in a war with India, nukes are flying, we've got stealth bombers and the like, they don't seem so pertinent anymore. Then I realized - India had a couple tiles with Uranium and a couple with the (unrealistically rare) Aluminum resource. The tiles are towards the far end of their territory (on a huge map) up in tundra-land, but there's a City-State nearby. I start thinking - they're #1 in production, they have cities in the 30's population-wise, I've weathered the initial wave of nukes but they're obviously going to be rolling more out soon.

You can't bomb tile improvements like mines. You can nuke them, but that's a pretty low-value return for a nuke plus I've used all mine and am waiting for more to roll off the production lines (except for a couple I'm keeping to deter Bismarck), and they're out of range anyway. I can move a helicopter into the area, but they've got fighters nearby so that's real risky.

Why not send the Commandos on, like, a Commando raid? <shrug> Worth a shot.

I got the Commandos up to the City-State in a couple turns, gave it a bit of money just to be friends (it was allied already with a bystanding civ I don't want to piss off). The surrounding terrain is all rivers and forest and mountains, tough for regular troops but these Mechanized ex-Scouts eat that stuff up.

The first turn after staging them, I run these guys out and pillage a Uranium mine and an Aluminum mine. (Costs one movement point to pillage, you can do multiple per turn.) I get hit by a couple enemy fighters, but in rough terrain the damage I take is minimal.

Upshot? Immediately the Indian Stealth Bombers and Modern Armor units drop to -50% efficiency from lack of enough Aluminum, woo hoo! Then there's only two more Uranium mines in Indian territory, one fairly close to the conventional front lines and one near the Aluminum I just pillaged.

I sacrifice a noob Helicopter Gunship unit on the Uranium near my army, then send the Commando unit after the last one - sure enough, there was just an enemy worker and an Artillery unit nearby, I call in an airstrike on the Artillery, take the worker, and pillage the last Uranium mine.

No Nukes for You!

Plus, of course, there's the warm glow of using the Commando unit in a title-appropriate role. And, on the way out, I pillage a key road on a forest tile across from a river, and stick the captured worker on the only other road into the area, and park on a hill overlooking the Aluminum mine so's my Stealth Bombers can wack any enemy workers he sends in to repair it.

Fun!

2. Samuil

Samuil Warlord

I thought the AI can cheat a bit when it comes to resources?
    I spent almost 200 hours playing and I'm pretty sure there were occasions when the AI had nukes without access to Uranium?
    Nice tactics though

3. Randall Turner

Randall Turner King

I'd believe the AI might have a hidden advantage, but there are also a lot of other ways to get a resource, of course.

The AI is very lax about trading resources with me, probably likewise with other AI civs.

There are also a number of City States with Uranium in my game, I'm keeping an eye on their allies.

Regardless, if another Atom Bomb pops up in India, <shrug>, could happen. We'll see. Their Aluminum shortage combat penalty manifested immediately and I'm not seeing them produce any more Aluminum based units, so far so good.

4. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Very cool! I always got a kick out of that kind of thing. Well done, sir. :goodjob:

5. Scios

Scios Chieftain

That's cool. Now if only my wing of stealth bombers could hit that STATIONARY OIL WELL!

-Scios the Epic Emperor of Sciosia. Bow.

6. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

I think the new Danish civ is going to have friggin AWESOME commandos. Consider once upgraded through ski rifles:

- no movement penalty for pillaging
    - less movement penalty for embarking
    - plus embarked speed
    - amphibious
    - speed & combat bonus on hills, snow & tundra

Sick.