Computer locking up during multiplayer

Salty Ant

Chieftain
My computer has run civ 4 flawlessly on single player. The frame rate is great and it never freezes. However, I tried multiplayer and everytime someone im playing against loses connection with me or leaves my entire computer locks up. I have posted my dxdiag file.
My computer isnt top of the line but it does meet the minimum requirements and since it doesnt freeze during single player i dont see why it should during multiplayer. Anyone experience a similar problem? thanks

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    39.8 KB · Views: 55
Look in event viewer (start > run > eventvwr.msc) to see if there are red flags in any of the logs about the time this happened. There should be links/data to shed some light.

auldian said:
Look in event viewer (start > run > eventvwr.msc) to see if there are red flags in any of the logs about the time this happened. There should be links/data to shed some light.

I found one exactly when the game crashed for heres what it says:

Hanging application Civilization4.exe, version 1.5.2.1736, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

I really dont know what any of this means though and im not sure it will help at all :(

Are you playing on gamespy or a lan? There is a gamespy lobby bug that's being addressed in an upcoming patch.
Aside from that, this seems related to device drivers. I'd recommend methodically working through the stickied "Fix-It List". Don't skip audio/video drivers or the most recent DirectX 9.0c release. Make sure you're defragmented. Clear the hidden cache folder.
The minimum RAM now listed for Civilization IV on WindowsXP is 512mb. Be as aggressive as you can before you play insofar as closing apps, unplugging USB devices, etc. Another source of information on your rig is System Information (Start > Run > msinfo32). You can then "export" from the file menu and that document will tell you a lot as well.
Let us know your progress and good luck.

auldian said:
Are you playing on gamespy or a lan? There is a gamespy lobby bug that's being addressed in an upcoming patch.
Aside from that, this seems related to device drivers. I'd recommend methodically working through the stickied "Fix-It List". Don't skip audio/video drivers or the most recent DirectX 9.0c release. Make sure you're defragmented. Clear the hidden cache folder.
The minimum RAM now listed for Civilization IV on WindowsXP is 512mb. Be as aggressive as you can before you play insofar as closing apps, unplugging USB devices, etc. Another source of information on your rig is System Information (Start > Run > msinfo32). You can then "export" from the file menu and that document will tell you a lot as well.
Let us know your progress and good luck.

Thanks a lot for your info man, i appreciate that someone replied to my question. I was playing by IP address whgen it froze. I'll be sure to try everything, I never thought about unplugging USB things that I dont even use. Ill also try to clear the cache and go through the fix it list .Again thanks and ill see if i can try some of these things to see if it stops freezing during multiplayer.

Top Bottom