1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Corruption: beyond the courthouse?

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by LivingDog, Mar 17, 2011.

1. LivingDog

LivingDog Chieftain

(I HAVE read the manual! ... ok, I did a search for "corruption" and read only those bits.) Is there a way to reduce corruption after the courthouse is built? The manual mentions only the courthouse and nothing after that.

2. Whelkman

Whelkman Phantom Taxman

Other methods:
    • Advance government type
    • Place Palace in trade center

3. LivingDog

LivingDog Chieftain

Say what?

Allow me to translate your terse CivFan code means in English:

1) do any gov't research (Note building the Pyramids dismisses this requirement)

2) build a new Palace in the city in which your trade arrows are the highest count for your nation. (NOTE: your old palace will simply be moved to that other city.)

Yes? :cool: No? :confused: Maybe?? :crazyeye:

PS: your other reply requires an image I need to upload which is not here.

4. Whelkman

Whelkman Phantom Taxman

You need to actually switch to the government after its availability. Merely researching it is not sufficient.

Pretty much. The proper condition is to place the palace where trade arrows are densest due to its area of effect.

5. LivingDog

LivingDog Chieftain

Yes, mae culpa...

"due to its area effect." ?huh? :confused: what "its" are you referring to - the Palace or something else??

6. Whelkman

Whelkman Phantom Taxman

The closer to the Palace, the less corruption (except with Communism).

7. LivingDog

LivingDog Chieftain

Oh yeah, of course. The proximity effect of the Palace.

But I just realized, I did think before I posted this (and then dismissed it) that I could put the Palace in a centrally located city. But your comment answered that - the best effect is with the best Trade Center City.

Thanks Whelkman!

8. Valen

Valen TWAYF Builder

The ultimate corruption solution: establish democracy.
    Then, of course, you no longer need courthouses. I've always wished Sid had provided an incentive to keep courthouses in a democracy. My suggestion would be to allow a city with a courthouse to slip into disorder without crashing the government.
    Alas, this is not the case.

9. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Chieftain

Worked tiles across multiple cities are also a concern. E.g., if the left side of your civ is working a lot of sea and flat road tiles, and the right side of your civ favors hills and forests, then nudge left.

Valen advocates just going to Dem, which is best. The gap in tech requirements and ongoing liabilities (greater military unhappiness) between Rep and Dem is so small that I think spending 200 shields and staying in Rep is a difficult sell against researching Dem.

10. LivingDog

LivingDog Chieftain

I don't like Dem or Rep b/c you can't use your military the way you want to. But the payoff is better (for me compared to you strong players the payoff is nothing) in Rep and Dem. So I'll stick with Rep until I learn how to be a total despot! :)

11. Theov

Theov Chieftain

If you grow to big, go Commie.
    Or, get at war with everyone and then turn Demo/Repo and keep the war going.

12. SkyProf5

SkyProf5 Chieftain

and then don't talk to anyone; they might offer peace and the senate will force acceptance.

13. LivingDog

LivingDog Chieftain

Thanks Theov and SkyProf5! I wondered if there was any point to going Commie! :)

14. Theov

Theov Chieftain

Yes. If you grow to big, like at the end of a game, or just because you are being an ant colony then yes, commie is better.

15. Bussunda

Bussunda Chieftain

the kind of government greatly influences