COTM 15 First Spoiler: Ancient Age, Contacts

Open, Domination/Conquest?

This one is a lot of fun! I'm normally a bit of a serial builder, but forcing myself to play a different way.

Pre AD, I Managed to snag the oracle, pyramids, colossus, mausoleum and great library. Although I didn't build any of them. :scan:

Settled west, then east for 2 grannary owning settler farms. Republic slingshot worked out. Spread rapidly to 10-12 cities then focused on military...

Got a couple of 2 turn and a couple of 3 turn horsemen factories up and running. Half a dozen sword upgrades for the jungles and 10 horsemen. Quite enough to start on the Lan Xang. They lasted all of 15 turns. :)

Next up was the Vijayanagar, another short decisive horse war. Left them with an island city and a capital wedged between persia and china. Only saw 3 Vijayanagar-ic swordsmen, did start their golden age, but took their capital the same turn...

While that was going on, I was diverting forces towards the chinese. Dow'd them and beelined for their iron and beijing. Captured the great library that they'd chosen to build instead of a proper army. I'd kept up pretty well in tech, but hadn't been a priority. It catapulted me to the MA.

Managed to trade for ivory and build the SoZ, figure I'll get full value from this as I want to keep the tech pace slow.

Tried a new one this time, not recruiting the AI into alliances. Also leaving space as long as possible in new territories. IMO, this has been keeping them out of war mode until I attack them. AI defenses have been paper thin up to this point. One of the core chinese cities only had a single spearman. :rolleyes: Been keeping small defensive forces on the other borders, just in case of AI alliance.

Not going to be the fastest win, sure someone will do it in BC times. But it's a lot of fun!

Big mistakes so far:

Researched Literacy. Didn't need it as I had no intention of building libraries or the GL. Stupid compulsive builderishness.

Late FP, started 1000 years after I should have done. Stupid perfectionism.

Hope everyone is having as much fun as I am. :D

Open, going for 20K

This game has been a blast.

I settled Delhi to the east and Bombay (my 20K city) to the west on turn 20. Madras went to the gems, just beating out an unaccompanied blue settler that I chased with a warrior for several turns before giving up. I had 8 cities by 800 BC, which was okay considering my focus on Bombay.

I went for the slingshot and became a republic on turn 56 and then cruised along, researching as fast as possible consistent with having enough cash to rush improvements in Bombay. I entered the middle ages in 800 BC. This seemed pretty early to me, and I took it as a good sign.

Bombay consequently built very little during the AA: a temple in 2510 BC, the Mausoleum in 1375 BC, and a library in 1350 BC. I finished the great library in 750 BC. Someday I'll be brave enough to try a 20K in the capitol again, but I was pretty pleased with how things worked out here.

You guys are scarey...16..18...19 towns by QSC I have 9... I guess my learning curve just got that much steeper :blush:

Open -- Undecided on Victory type: Conquest, 100k, or Histograph

After my late luck with these CotMs I'm deciding that I just need to get one done and won. I picked up both cows easily, and noticed that the Lan Xang and Vijays were stunted in their growth for whatever reason, leaving me free reign to fill in the lush grassland areas of the central continent. Even our northern neighbors, the Chinese and Persians, didn't take too much priority in settling south and I was able to expand quite a ways northward before they finally came around.

For tech I went the republic slingshot, gaining the tech in 1575BC. I attempted next to build the Great Library with the hopes of permanently turning off my tech and going for a conquest win. However, I forgot how slow Monarch researched and eventually turned my research back on so I can get my Eles sometime before Histograph sets in... :rolleyes: So any bid for a quick Conquest win has been ruined; I should have just researched on through. And I didn't even get the GL! Lan Xang beat me to it by two turns, which surprised me terribly that they even researched Lit. I was left with Hanging Gardens as a consolation prize. (I probably should have ignored GL, kept researching, and just produced military.) In any case, I didn't get any nearby horses (which makes the Predator stipulation a little weak, considering there were no nearby horses from which to upgrade). But tons of iron, so my swords made quick work of Lan Xang and captured the Great Library for myself in the end.. As of the end of the AA he is still alive (and I didn't record the exact MA date, stupid me, but it was somewhere around 700BC, give or take a fifty years).

Already I'm planning on taking out Vijay to eliminate my southern front and then push northward. I'm glad I don't see any one-tile islands out there, so Conquest does seem like a feasable option. I just won't be too quick at it with my research off for all those turns... The best part has to be those first two towns. Both Dehli and Bombay were producing over 15spt (Bombay is up to 20+) and the military is just pumping out.

1000BC QSC Results:

14 cities, 29 citizens
All AA Techs except Construction, Currency, Monarchy, and Literature.
All contacts
1 settler, 10 workers, 15 warriors, 2 swordsmen, & 1 curragh.

Open Class, Domination

My first GOTM. I settled west and built Bombay in 3250. Because I wanted granaries early I started my research with Pottery. Of course the first civ I met was the Lan Xang who had it to trade. I still made the Philosophy/Republic slingshot easily though.

At 1000BC I had 9 towns, 2 settlers, 10 workers and 14 military (mostly warriors). Plenty of iron but no horses. All civs met except Japan (no coastal town at that stage). I didn't bother with Literature and the GL as I wanted to get to Feudalism and Sun Tzu as soon as possible. Entered the Middle Age in 750 BC.

Open – 20K

I decided to go for a slightly different start than normal, building the Temple as fast as humanly possible. I don’t think it paid off though, and I lost too much time getting my 20K city up to size 12.

The opening moves were as follows.

4000BC – Worker and Settler go west
3950BC – Worker west to cow, Settler builds India Pale Ale (IPA)
3900BC – Worker irrigates cow

3800BC

3700BC – Worker moves Northwest
3650BC – Worker mines bonus grassland, pop rush a Temple in IPA
3500BC – Make contact with the V people (you know who I mean!)
3350BC – Worker roads bonus grassland
3200BC – Worker moves Southeast to cow, we trade V Alphabet for their Bronze Working.
3150BC – Worker roads the cow, IPA builds a Settler which moves East
3100BC – Settler East
3050BC – Build Beef Bhuna
3000BC – Worker East & North
2950BC – Worker mines bonus grassland

2850BC – We research Mysticism
2800BC – Beef Bhuna builds a Warrior
2670BC – Worker southeast
2630BC – Worker mines bonus grassland and Beef Bhuna builds a Worker
2590BC – New worker moves West
2550BC – New worker moves Northwest to help first Worker building a mine.
2350BC – Trade China Masonry for Alphabet

2070BC

1500BC

1000BC

QSC Score: 3816

4 Cites
18 Citizens
Gold 356
IPA Culture Total: 513
1000BC – Culture per turn: 17
Cultural Buildings:
3950BC – Palace
3650BC – Temple
1700BC – The Oracle
1150BC – The Pyramids
1075BC – Library

COTM15 Open

I have great hope for my people this time. With good leadership we should be able to succeed.

4000bc I need to decide which way to go. My first thought was east, but there is a hint of a river to the west. I'll move my worker first. No more clues. Move west to settle.
3950bc Settle. Worker to cow. Research max to Code Of Laws. Then Philo for the slingshot.
3700bc Warrior built. Exploring west.
3650bc Yuk. Swamps to the west.
3550bc Warrior built. Exploring east.
3450bc Delhi expands. Dyes to the north.
3350bc Gems to the east.
3250bc Blue border to the east.
3200bc I meet the Vijayangar warrior from the south. Hmmm. He looks Celtic. I can get either Pottery or Bronze Working +g for Alphabet. Wait a turn or two. See who and what the blue border has. Settler is complete and will settle to the east. The Lan Xang people are to the east. They look Mayan, I think. I've traded around and now have Bronze Working, Masonry, Pottery and +20g. Warrior code is available, but too expensive.
3050bc Founded Bombay.
2800bc Popped a hut. Angry barbs.
2710bc Dead warrior/scout.
2630bc Green border to the northwest.
2590bc Persia. Trade Alphabet +17g for The Wheel. Then traded Ceremonial Burial for 62g. Where are the horses? OK. I see some.
2510bc There is a light blue border to the west. China?
2030bc Not China. Sumeria. We trade Alphabet + Wheel for Mysticism + Warrior Code + 24g. Trade Wheel + Mysticism to the Vijay for Iron Working + 25g.
1990bc Dehli has produced a settler. It will be one of many. Where settle? I don't know the land to the south, so its another direction.
1950bc I see China to the northeast.
1750bc Madras founded.
1600bc Bangalore founded.
1500bc The Republic of India is born.
1475bc Persia demands Philo. I say OK. Not ready for any conflict yet.
1425bc Meet Arabia. Trade Alphabet + Iron Working for Polytheism + 6g.

1000bc Stats
Score 199
Culture 218
Cities 9
Land 117
Gold 32

Settler 2
Worker 8
Warrior 4
Spearman 9

Some time passes, as is typical. I've reached the Middle Ages, and some stats are appropriate. Its 450bc. Persia beat us to the Middle Ages by 2 turns, and has learned Feudalism. They are building Sun Tzu. I'm building the Great Library. I'd like Sun Tzu, but will try for Leonardo instead. The Forbidden Palace has not been started. I'm hoping for a Great Leader for that. There is one civ that I haven't met.

Score 338
Culture 611
Cities 14
Land 185
Gold 60.

Settler 1
Worker 9
Warrior 4
Spearman 14

Plans? Get to Chivalry, then build towards Leonardo. Build War Elephants like crazy and continue to build cities. There are still lots of gaps to wedge in a few more. If I am not challenged, I'll start a war. This will be the second phase of expansion. The Golden Age will allow me to expand by conquest for some time. Then, I'll decide what to do next.

Attachments

• Gandhi of the Indians history 450bc minimap.gif
    Gandhi of the Indians history 450bc minimap.gif
    129.6 KB · Views: 468
COTM 15 – open

Ok, the first choice is between east and west. I decided on east because it looks like there’s more river that way and my capital will be more centrally located. As it happens, I hit the jackpot with a couple of river bonus grasslands in the city radius. I decided to go for the monarchy slingshot to take advantage of reduced anarchy for a religious civ. I finally become a Monarchy in 1425 BC.

Early war is disfavored given the opportunities for expansion, and the fact that the neighbors have ancient age UUs. I want to first fill up the fertile area around the start. Initial expansion, monarchy, and connection to iron all occur around 1000BC, paving the way for war at this point.

The no-resource war elephants won’t be any bonus, seeing that there’s iron everywhere. The initial strategy will be to connect iron and crush the weak renamed Maya to the east with swordsmen/MDI in the late aa/early ma. Once this is done, there’s noting stopping an elephant/cavalry blitz. Elephants may even earn their keep being rush-built in unconnected border cities.

Research:
Pottery 3350 BC
BW, WC, masonry 2800 BC – traded
Mysticism 2470 BC traded
Writing – 2310 BC
IW 2270 BC traded
Wheel – 1790 traded
Polytheism 1650 BC
Mathematics, HBr 1475 traded
Philosophy, Monarchy 1450 BC (slingshot)
Literature (?)
Construction 1000 BC traded

Capitol production queue:
Delhi founded 3950 BC
Warrior 3700 BC
Warrior 3300 BC
Granary 2900 BC
Warrior (?)
Warrior 2760 BC
Settler 2470 BC
Warrior 2390 BC
Archer 2070 BC
Warrior 2030 BC
Settler
Archer 1750 BC
Settler 1650 BC
1525 BC barracks
1250 BC – worker
1100 BC - worker

Other Cities:
Bombay 2430 BC
Madras 2110 BC
Banglaore 1725 BC
Calcutta 1575 BC
Laore 1250 BC
Karachi 1225 BC
Kolhapur 1050 BC
Jaipur 1025 BC

Other:
1425 – Become a monarchy

edit: 1000BC screenshot added showing the first 9 cities:

Open - "100k"

TriviAl said:
Tried a new one this time, not recruiting the AI into alliances. Also leaving space as long as possible in new territories. IMO, this has been keeping them out of war mode until I attack them. AI defenses have been paper thin up to this point. One of the core chinese cities only had a single spearman. :rolleyes: Been keeping small defensive forces on the other borders, just in case of AI alliance.

As did I. In my game was not AI to AI wars at all. I am really surprised by the results. There was more roads to use since AI have not pillaged other's roads and improvements. The defences were nonexistent. No more than one spearman per town and two in the capital. AI did not bothered to build Unique Units. The largest amount I saw was Immortals in all the Persians had three Immortals :eek: Now on I will be peace mongerer until ready to kill all.

I haven't access to civ here. So I only post mediocre QSC stats. I went to less towns but great in population.

11 towns, 2 cities
42 pop
2 granaries
4 barracks
2 temples
16 workers
8 horses
all AA techs except Monarchy. Engineering, Feudalism and Monotheism in 5 turns.

7Losses said:
670 BC: Funny sight, a squadron of about 8 sumerian archers/swordsman are pursuing a lone warrior of mine. Where am I leading them? Right into persia of course!

:eek:
Are you playing Predator class? I saw never such a SOD.

Predator. No clue what I'm aiming for, definitely not 20k.

What a nice, relaxed map. Obviously, karasu has placed lots of additional resources on the map to make up for CotM14 (which I loved, don't get me wrong). Luxuries on BGs :D....

Settling 1E was a no-brainer IMHO (unless you go for 20k in city #2). That Cow is at the river, thus +1gpt. And some Forests to chop.
First build was a Worker, research to Pottery and Slingshot @ max.
In 3050BC, those blue borders to the SE touched mine - :eek: please, not Otto again right on top of the capital! Turned out to be Smoke, luckily...and with his overpriced Archers, no threat. Since Mayans tend to build the Pyramids, I was hoping for them here as well; in this case, I'd try 100k/ Feudalism, if I can capture them soon. Didn't happen, though.
Expanded mostly towards the N at first. I had problems with exploration due to Barbs and getting thrown out; thus, I didn't catch Sumeria penetrating my area early enough, and was a bit locked in.
Slingshot in 1450, Republic in 1375.
MoM in Delhi in 975; just an Ancient wonder for tourism.
Hit the MA in 950AD, lacking only contact with Japan.
No wars, nothing fancy happening. Acceptable to mediocre QSC stats.
There is a TON of iron on this map. Was that to make sure no AI opponent would be ironless?
Even better, one more source jumped in my (expanded)territory - and that turned out to be a very nice surprise later :).

***** Goal: Swift military victory (as usual)
***** Class: Open

Well Doc, the western cow was on a river too. I think it was all the same but I settled west.

I started Writing instantly.
Build order was warrior - granary prebuild (barracks)
I met Vijayanagar in 3400 and traded pottery. With just one warrior to scout, this can be considered lucky, but there was still time to change the prebuild to settler.
Granary was finished in 2950 AD. Bombay was founded in 2590. A bit late but you can't have everything.

In 3000 BC Livy told us we are the richest country on the planet with 20 gold. Made me suspect there were no barb camps at all. But as you all know this was not the case.

I sacrificed a bit of growth during the research of writing, working the gold.

Republic came in 1675 BC. From 1550 I had to apply 10% luxury which lingered for most of the game except for when the two cow towns were down in size. A small luxury tax is not so bad since it only affects the biggest towns.

There were quite a few AIs stalking my borders so I kept som warriors and ran a deficit with a unit cost of about 10-12 gold. When the first horseman was produced in 1100 BC the deficit was no longer something to weep about, but I plan to sacrifice the warriors in some chance attacks against the AI.

Wars:
1790 - War on China to try to capture Naking. I could have razed it earlier since it was undefended, but chose not to.
Lost warrior vs warrior. The opponent was not fortified so the chance was 50-50.
1100 - Abu Bakhr demanded literature, got stomped on all ten toes, and declared. I start to form a group of warriors and my one archer for the aforementioned attack. Horsemen will be mainly defenders. They are precious, and shan't be wasted.

Entered MA in 1050 BC, with 13 towns and a city.

Hey guys, this was my first try at a GOTM(COTM in this case). Have been looking around for a while here, trying to get a bit better at the game :) Usually I would just play at Monarch and fly through the tech tree and get huge cities, beating the AI with tanks and modern armor... Or just win the space race, but that got boring pretty soon :D

Well, here's my try.

- Choice of west or east of the gold, I figured I would do both anyhow to create some settler and worker factories, so I settled east.

Got lucky with my third city, as I ran around with one of my 2 warriors to the east, one to the south. I stumbled upon a lone Lan Xang settler which turned around and went back :) I quickly moved my third settler to the gems, building Madras near the coast with 1 gem in the 9 tile radius, building it 1 space away from a Lan Xang city. Nice lucky shot... 2 luxuries early on.

Settled cities all over the place, north and south the most after defeating the barbs there.

Took over 1 Lan Xang city with culture really early, the city was surrounded by 3 temple-cities of mine, which was apparently enough around 500BC...

Cities:
3950BC Delhi
3100BC Bombay
2470BC Madras
2270BC Bangalore
1830BC Calcutta
1725BC Lahore
1625BC Karachi
1425BC Kolhapur
1325BC Jaipur
1250BC Hyderabad
900BC Bengal
900BC Chittagong
850BC Punjab
775BC Indus
775BC Ganges
590BC Pune

Notable events:
- Madras in the Gems
- Slingshot Republic at around 1500BC
- Mausoleum of Mausos in Delhi at 690BC
- Entering MA at around 500BC

Finished the game today... But I screwed up horribly. Eventually won in 1665AD instead of before 1000AD...

Not bad for a first try, had a really good start, mostly because of the nice gods who created the land of plenty :)

Open. I hadn't decided on a victory condition before the game. Is this traditional to do? I don't particularly like long drawn out wars, and any chance for an early conquest or domination has passed, so I will go for diplo or space.

This is my first GOTM of any kind in a couple years. I was quickly reminded of my major flaw in these types of games: I get conservative because I don't want to lose.

I settled west then built my second city east. However, before I could settle a third, the Mayans (or whatever they are called in this game) settled near those gems on the coast, making me alter my selected settling spot for my third city. This irked me GREATLY.

I wanted to go to war right away and take the city, but I got myself under control and decided that Lan would pay a little later.

Not much happened for the rest of the AA. I accomplished the republic slingshot, switched to said government, and expanded as much as possible. I tried for the Great Library at one point, wanting to drop research and put the screws on Lan, but Persia beat me to it. In a cascade I lost any opportunity for an AA wonder at all.

I have 11 cities pretty much circling my capitol, with a few more to the North than the South (I wanted those two horses NW and NE). Persia and Sumeria seem to be in cahoots, swapping techs all the time. They are the tech leaders. I entered the MA right behind them only to find that one got Engineering and the other got Feudalism and they quickly swapped. I can tell I will have to get them to war against each other at some point so I can shoot past. I will probably go the TOE, Hoovers route. Usually if that succeeds, I feel pretty comfortable, but being surrounded by civs on all sides makes me a little worried. I might have to do something about that.

As soon as I get chivalry I will make Lan pay for his audacity. I get the weird feeling that Persia is eyeing my territory though (I have paid tribute to them once already), so I am going to get as many other civs as possible to go in with me so I can afford to keep a rearguard near Persia (and Sumeria too, even though seem polite enough).

I entered the MA in 540 BC with 11 cities, no wonders, 3 libraries, 2 temples, 2 granaries, and 1 barracks. I'm pretty sure, anyhow. Workin from memory here.

Next time I plan to make a log. I find that it helps with my play anyhow, forcing me to slow down and micromanage each turn.

~Ghostwind

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
What a nice, relaxed map. Obviously, karasu has placed lots of additional resources on the map to make up for CotM14 (which I loved, don't get me wrong)

I saw you loved it, and I am glad you did! :D

Yes, the idea for this map was to have a straightforward thing, with an appeal for the more bloodlusty players as well as for builders and science lovers.
And no worries about resources! ;) this time... :mischief:

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
Even better, one more source jumped in my (expanded)territory - and that turned out to be a very nice surprise later :).

Don't tell me... Iron Works?
Must be a compensation for the Uranium that disappeared in COTM14 (btw, yes, it did reappear on a mountain upon depletion; I never placed any resource on one-tile mountain islands).

EDIT: @WetSawDust: IPA... :chuckle:

This sucks. I hit the wrong button in response to a demand from the Persians and wound up getting involved in a major war. My empire got carved up and I'm barely hanging on. I don't mind losing when I play poorly, but this happened in response to a bad keystroke. Ugh.

COTM 15 - India

NoAIPAtrol=0, C3C 1.22

Monarch

socralynnek

4000 BC (0) - So, taking a look at my opponents, I see no one else is starting with Alphabet, so a Republic Slingshot shouldn't be a big problem.
There are enough starting with Pottery, so I go for Writing at max.
Move Worker and Settler W.

3950 BC (1) - Worker W on cow, Delhi founded, build Warr, research Writ at max.

3900 BC (2) - Start irrigating.

3700 BC (6) - Start roading, Warr moves E, start another Warr.

3650 BC (7) - Warr N on mountain reveals Dyes to the N but more jungle.

3600 BC (8) - Warr NE on mountain.

3550 BC (9) - 2ndWarr goes exploring W, 1st turns E, Worker goes to the other side of the river to mine the BG NE of Delhi. Start building Settler.

3200 BC (16) - Warr to the E finds Blue Borders which must be the (renamed) Maya.Worker starts roading

3150 BC (17) - Buy Pott for CB+10g from Maya(Lan Xang). Settler build and will S of the other cow. Worker to the W sees Sumerian border.

3050 BC (19) - Meet Sumeria. I also refuse to sell them Alph, they are the ones who could best stop me from getting the slingshot.

3000 BC (20) - Start chopping for the Granary SE of Delhi.

2950 BC (21) - Found Bombay S of 2nd cow.

2850 BC (23) - Set lux to 10% as Delhi is at 3 again. Open GH E, but get Barbs.

2800 BC (24) - Forest chopped, got N of Delhi. Survive one barb -1hp. Other doesn't attack

2700 BC (26) - 2nd Barb attacks but redlines our warr. Warr built in Bombay. Send him to Delhi as MP.

2670 BC (27) - Granary built.

2590 BC (29) - Warr built in Delhi, Warr to the W has spotted Arab borders after going S at a coast.

2550 BC (30) - Contact with Arabs. Could sell Alph, but I wait until I have finished Writing.

2510 BC (31) - Send Warr from Bombay S. Lux slider to 10%. Settler done in 3 turns and 5 turn settler factory is ready.

2430 BC (33) - Writing done. Start on CoL.

2390 BC (34) - Meet Celts (Vijayanagar). They are technologically worsethean the others. Settler built. Will found close to LanXang.Myabe close to Gems.

2350 BC (35) - worker built in Bombay. First thing will be irrig. of cow.

2230 BC (38) Build Madras W of Gems.

2150 BC (40) - Worker near Delhi starts mining BG, BombayWorker roads cow.
Trading: Get Myst & TheWheel from Arabs for Alph
Get 60g+BW+WC from Vij for Alph
Get 45g + Mas from Lan for TheWheel

2110 BC (41) - Build embassy with Vij&Arabs

2030 BC (43) - Bangalore founded NW of Sugar near river, in SE direction of Delhi.

1910 BC (44) - Settler build in Delhi

1790 BC (49) - Found Calcutta N,N,NE of Delhi near Dyes in Jungle. Meanwhile Arabs have HR&IW, Lan&Vij both have IW.

1700 BC (52) - Buy Worker from Vij for Myst

1650 BC (54) - Found Lahore N;NW;NW of Delhi on Dyes in Jungle. Granary in Bombay built.

1575 BC (57) - Finished Philo, get Republic and revolt.

1550 BC (58) - Meet Persia.Trade Writing to Sum for HR. Give HR+25g to Vij for IW. See lots of Iron...

1525 BC (59) - We are now a Republic.

1425 BC (63) - Found Karachi N;NW of Lahore removing Jungle, 2 tiles away of a Sum city.

1350 BC (66) - Meet Chinese. They don't know Writing but have nothing to give.

1325 BC (67) - Found Kolhapur S,S,S of Delhi. Build embassies at China, Sum& Persia.

1275 BC (69) - Found Jaipur S,S,S of Bombay.

1225 BC (71) - Found Hyderabad , NW,NW of Calcutta on Jungle.

1175 BC (73) - Buy MM & Poly & 22g from Vij for Philo &CoL. Sell Poly to Lan for 121g.

1125 BC (75) - Found Bengal W of the Marsh on a hill.

1100 BC (76) - Establish embassy in Lan Xang. They seem to finish Pyramids soon.

1050 BC (78) - Found Chittagong on hills with gold close to Vij.

1000 BC (80) - Currency done next turn.
QSC stats:
12 cities and 2 settlers ready to found next turn.
25 popheads
30 units: 3 Settlers, 10 workers, 13 warriors, 2 spear & 2 slave workers
2 Granaries & 1 Temple

975 BC (81) - Found Dacca near horses to the N. Found Punjab on Gems to the east.
Lan have finished The Pyramids, making them a nice first target.
Sell Philo to Sum for 49g.

925 BC (83) - Found Lindus on hills SW,SW of Bangalore.

900 BC (84) - Buy 2 workers from Sum for CoL. Buy 1 worker from China for Philo.

825 BC (87) - Found Ganges to the S near Vij.

Entered MA at 750 BC with 18 cities.
Decided to delay my attack until I had WarElephants.
Two Settler factories is nice, although by settling E, I would have got 2 fast Settler factories...

BTW, nice map Karasu!

Attachments

• Gandhi of the Indians history minimapaa.gif
    Gandhi of the Indians history minimapaa.gif
    51.3 KB · Views: 358
socralynnek said:
Two Settler factories is nice, although by settling E, I would have got 2 fast Settler factories...
How did you arrive at this conclusion? Nb sugar on plains cannot yield +3 food in despotism, and the cows alone gave +5 food in republic.

Predator.Barbs fixed. Goal: Domination.

I started exactly as I suggested in pre-game discussion. Went for the western cow, built a settler and sent it to the eastern cow. I built only one warrior during entire AA period and concentrated on research and food. Unlike in my previous games I was building temples, not barracks.

@Karasu - thanks a lot, this is a very generous map and I finally fulfilled my dream and reached MA before 1000BC (by only one turn, though).

The lack of military meant to me no exploration. As a result at 1000BC I still did not meet Arabs (I've seen their border) and Japan.

This is the world at 1000BC:

Future plans: Run towards chivalry and start building military.

On predator vs. open: Although research cost is higher, the start is so generous that I got to MA before 1000BC anyway (and I got Delhi rioting once). On another hand, despite research cost is lower for AI, there is no much help from them. So the only advantage, I might hope for is more AI cities.
In any case, it seems to me that predator and open differences are not that large as many thought initially.

Top Bottom