COTM 19 - results & Congratulations

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
Entries were a bit lower than normal - perhaps due to the fact that there were only a few willing to take-on the Sid game, and perhaps due to the coincidental release of the first Civ4 GOTM....

Even though it was a Sid level game, there were still 16 victories out of 36 entries - that's a better ratio than we've had in other games, IIRC! Great job to those that of you that won, and also a 'good on you' to the people who stepped up to play on the toughest level, even if you lost.

Scores were down a bit on previous games, with no-one getting over 10,000 Jason points. In the end, it was kununigas who claimed the top medal, and got himself a fastest domination award with a 1150 AD domination victory.

In second place, Drazek must surely win some sort of award for most awards in one game: Silver, fastest conquest, lowest-scoring conquest and even the cow! :eek:

In third place, we had a cultural victory making it to the leaderboard - by none other than GOTM-AI. Given that GOTM-AI has performed so badly in previous games, we can only conclude that that he cheated. How? We're not quite sure. Perhaps he's having a secret affair with the maths co-processor, who managed to fix the combat results for him. :hmm:

As such, with the uncertainty hanging over that entry, we've awarded a second bronze medal - Rustwork wins bronze and the fastest diplomatic award for a diplo victory in 1575 AD.

Summary of Medal Winners:

Kuningas: 1150 AD Domination Victory, 9,642 points.

Drazek: 2050 AD Conquest Victory, 9,395 points.

rustwork: 1575 AD Diplomatic Victory, 7,325 points.

supersova_su: 1844 AD Domination Victory, 5,951 points.

Frosties: 1635 AD Diplomatic Victory, 5,718 points.

osi: 1934 AD Cultural 20k Loss, 4,163 points.

poko: 1856 AD Cultural 20k Victory, 3,852 points.

The-Hawk: 1906 AD Spaceship Victory, 3,778 points.

azzaman333: 1175 BC Conquest Loss, 164 points.

>> See the full results here.
>> See the updated global rankings here.
>> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.

Congratulations everyone.

Interesting to see GOTM-AI finishing in the top area's now. That proves that the factor 2.5 advantage just about equals the players skill advantage. Note GOTM-AI cannot abuse the favorable map settings as much as we can. So the top players here should be about even with the SID-AI's on other non specifically favorable maps if we can look it it this simple.

Congratulations everyone. This was a real war of attrition for most of us: of those that posted spoilers :p only GOTM_AI seemed to have an easy time.

And a spaceship prize for Offa :snowcool:. And what a launch date, 1886ad: will it ever be beaten? Just shows how accelerated the science rate is at Sid.

Missed out on the ambulance :eek:

I spent most of the time holed up on a 3 tile island pressing enter, wait for the AI to finish me off!

Congrats to all.

Congratulations folks :goodjob:. Amazing to me how quickly some of you got to wins. Makes me realize how much room there is to improve in my game. :blush:

But, I just got Civ IV, so I don't think I'll be working on my Civ III skills much anymore!

Offa said:
And a spaceship prize for Offa :snowcool:. And what a launch date, 1886ad: will it ever be beaten? Just shows how accelerated the science rate is at Sid.
That's actually one of the slowest spaceship victories in teh COTM!

Here's a few of the recent ones:

COTM 16: Killercane launched in 1320 AD.
COTM 17: Obormot 1170 AD
COTM 16: Megalou 1415 AD
COTM 15: A'AbarachAmadan 1170AD
COTM 14: Leopalas 1345AD

The fastest ever was COTM 12 - a monarch game! :eek:
COTM 12: Bradleyfeanor 1070 AD

ainwood said:

Yeah, I was surprised by the creeping tech pace too. I guess that however much unit support the AI gets, its huge cost factor advantage means that it quickly builds so many units that it can't afford to keep its tech slider high. Certainly we had lots of stories of AI islands so heaving with outdated units that there was nowhere to land... (yes Shaka, I'm looking at you)

ainwood said:

Thanks Ainwood, I'm crestfallen :cry: . Still I bet none of those guys captured and razed a city with Newton's Classroom in it. Only gotm_AI and me would have considered such master strategy in pursuit of a spaceship award.

Besides which, do you really think those 11th century spaceships were properly kitted out in the appropriate Jules Verne style of mine.

Congratulations everyone!
And a special hats off to rustwork for grabbing the diplo award one turn ahead of me. :goodjob: I might have overtaken you had I not been forced to capture the UN in the mongolian capital.

So I have beaten SID on my first attempt, but I feel I am still miles away from beeing a SID-level player. I doubt I could pull it off on a map that is less kind.

And GOTM-AI: nice QSC-result! :lol:

Top Bottom