Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Other DLL that is not specified

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There is no 'better' DLL; Each has its own advantages and disadvantages

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Troller0001

I've anxiously awaited your arrival!
AFAIK, there are 2 main/big DLL's regarding civ V modding: The CP DLL and the VMC DLL.
I was however wondering what the differences between the two of those were, both minor and major differences. Why would I use one over the other? What is/are the major benefit(s) of the two? What is/are the major drawback(s) of the two (excluding not being able to use the other :p)? etc.

Thanks in advance!

CP has all of VMC's features, as it's a fork of VMC that regularly merges new changes. However, some of its own changes, such as the AI improvements, cannot be turned off, unlike VMC where every change is optional. Personally, I use VMC as I dislike the CP AI.

CP DLL adds a tonne of functionality for modders, in particular, for three of my gameplay mods: Cities in Development, Rise to Power, and Exploration Continued Expanded. The VMC DLL is an orthodox text that has fallen behind the times - Pope's Gazebo's DLL is the One True DLL :p

CP DLL is more bug-prone, as it carries a bit of deadweight for CBO and more features come with more bugs. If you're interested in them, VMC is naturally more up to date with whoward's small mods, while most of them work fine in CP too, now and then you may experience some incompatibilities. I normally go for CP, but the latest version is a bit troubled, so I'm using VMC for now. I do not have enough playtime to make meaningful comparisons, but so far the biggest difference I saw between CP and VMC is that the tactical/combat AI is better in the former. That's no surprise though, as CP includes a whole lot of AI improvements.

@Klisz
Care to explain what you dislike about the AI in CP, some say it's too passive, is that it?

Your question kinda doesn't make sense, since the CP incorporates all of (or almost all of) VMC's features. I'm not a huge fan of the CP (it makes the AIs fight better, but it also makes them illogical when it comes to trade), but I've never really used VMC so I don't really know...

(Its kinda like comparing the bible to the Quran or something' :p)

This thread is beginning to remind me of Dick Clark's American Bandstand.
I like CP but it has too many things hardcoded
VMC is more stable but it doesn't have a beat that anyone can dance to

@Klisz
Care to explain what you dislike about the AI in CP, some say it's too passive, is that it?

I have two main beefs with it:

One, the trade weights seem to be balanced for CBO even if you're only using the CP, e.g. luxuries being valued at 5 GPT instead of 7. This is a minor issue, but it gives me this constant feeling in the back of my mind that some CBO feature won't be disabled fully and will cause the non-CBO game to glitch up or crash; this hasn't actually happened, but it's hard to enjoy a game if I'm half-expecting it to break every turn. (Note that I last tried the CP back in April, so this may have been changed since then anyway.)

Two (and more importantly), it's simply too smart for my tastes: I'm not very good at Civ at all (I can't even consistently win on Prince), so playing against the dumber vanilla AI gives a difficulty that suits me better.

Your question kinda doesn't make sense, since the CP incorporates all of (or almost all of) VMC's features.
Woopsie, that should show that I haven't really dived into the DLLs :lol:

(Its kinda like comparing the bible to the Quran or something' :p)
:lol:

@All, Thanks for all the replies! There will never be a day in which you don't learn something new!

That last sentence... I couldn't agree more.

It's for the people that REALLY can't choose :p

I'm not trying to revive the discussion here, but I thought that this DLL question fitted this thread:
I know that you can't enable/play with 2 DLL mods at the same time, but does that also mean that you can't have 2 DLL mods installed? i.e. the CP DLL preventing the VMC DLL from installing?

CP and VMC share the same ID #, so when you add the second into your game's MODS folder, the game will see them as being different version #s of the same mod. This instantly causes troubles and potential mod-clashing.

If, as was recently the case (do not know if it is true anymore), they are both using the same version # in addition to the mod ID#, then the game's inability to deal with this is compounded, and you will generally see only one of the two mods available in the MODS menu (even though both can be seen in the MODS folder). But it is possible you will get the wrong file for FileXYZ.Ext if both mods are using an exactly-named file.

LongStoryShort, with CP and VMC make sure there is only one version of either mod in your game's MODS folder at the same time. Otherwise, "hilarity1" will ensue to one degree or another. Just move all conflicting versions to some other 'hold-box' folder on your computer.

1 wherein "hilarity" is defined as cray-cray confusion and clash you have no desire to experience in your game.

Thanks for the clarification LeeS! I'm glad that I the 'problem' wasn't caused on my end (or well, technically it still was since I was trying to install both DLL's at the same time but you get what I mean...).

Oh, and I wanted to ask this as well:
[...] the CP incorporates all of (or almost all of) VMC's features. [...]
Is there a list (or something similar) of these 'ported features', or do I simply need to check it myself?

Also, is there a list (or something similair) of the functions added by VMC and/or the CP? I already found a spreadsheet of the GameEvents added by VMC, is there one (or something similar) for the CP too?

In short, is there any reference/'API' somewhere??

Ah, thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I'm generally pretty decent in navigating mazes so I guess this skill should be quite handy :p

EDIT: I found this for those interested:
The 139 new events add by DLL - Various Mod Components (v80) (and also the CP) can be found attached to this post
From my understanding, the events above work with both VMC and the CP

Top Bottom