CPU usage at 25 %, does windows task manager lie?

cFccFc

Warlord
Hi guys! I was just checking my cpu, monitoring the overclocking of the i5. I loaded a game, and it constantly overclocked as it should. Up to 2,9 ghz. All fine. But one CPU at overclocking to 2,9 means that at least 50 % over the CPU is used as there is two processors at 2,9 each at max. However Windows Task manager disagrees. It say that only 25 % of the CPU is used here. Which means that that most likely only one of 4 hyperthreading capabilities has been used. It was the same in between turns. However the usage at CPU monitor in Task Manager exceeded 25 %.

Is it so that when you minimize Civ it freezes the CPU usage? It does support dual cores right? Nothing important here, just a bit curious how this works :)

Attachments

• civwtf.jpg
    civwtf.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 110
You should be looking at the performance tab of the Task Manager to see how your Windows sees the thing. It should show as many graphs as logical CPU and you could tell how Civilization V uses them. I wouldn't be that much surprised that the game don't have many use for more than 2 CPU. When you reduce the game, CPU utilization usually falls a bit while remaining stable.

Civ5 is somewhat multithreaded, but not has much as was touted during the GDC presentations. Specifically it appears that the AI code itself is not multthreaded at all, and runs only on a single thread and is of course the largest CPU load at the start of every turn, yes the other game functions do run on other threads but that is only a small help, when all the CS's, barbs, AI civs and unit pathfinding is all on one thread...

CS

Top Bottom