Crashing Multiplayer? - Info on Firewalls, Routers and Proxies

You wouldn't happen to have a firewall installed on the XP machine, that's somehow been set to block Civilization3x.exe or Microsoft Directplay?

No. I checked the XP firewall just in case. It is interesting that when I click host under "internet" rather than local it takes me to setup for hosting on the internet. I haven't actually tried to join a game on the internet game or "host" because of the linksys router. Also, I haven't tried a direct cross-over cable yet, either (can't find it). I am going to try disconnection of router from switch to see if that makes any difference. Standby.

Tried disconnecting router/gateway from loop. No difference. The Win98 machine will "host" but the XP machine will not find IP of Win98 machine under direct IP (just gives firewall message). The XP machine still gives error in Civ3x.exe as above. So tried Civ II (had to reinstall on Win98) and works fine hosting on either machine so I am certain that it has to do with something in the .exe file and WindowsXP. And yes, I have tried the compatibility thing. The only other thing I can think of is to reboot into Win2K and see if I can run it from there.

Errrg! Can't load program in Win2K from already installed folder (thru WinXP). CivII works just fine, though. Probably some kind of anti-piracy thing. I pray one day makers of these games will realize that they lose more customer good will than they ever gain in $'s from the less then 1% who pirate. I am a legitimate customer who paid hard-earned $$'s and I shouldn't have to go through another uninstall/install procedure just to play on different OS on same machine. I have other things to do. I'll check back if later to see if anyone has any ideas but this game is starting to be more trouble than it is worth. I certainly would discourage anyone from buying at this point.

Try sharing a folder on the Win98 machine and then see if you can access that from winXP, if you haven't already tried that. I think this is more likely to be a network problem than a Civ3 problem, especially since clicking 'host' with internet selected doesn't produce the same crash.

Haven't tried sharing a folder from Win98. Will try now. standby.

Yes, I can share folder off Win98 to WinXP. I do not at this point beleive it is related to home network.

My lady is calling so must go will check back for more ideas.

Just to make sure, as it's a common Win98/XP compatibility issue - did you verify that you could actually transfer a file from the Win98 machine to WinXP, or could you just see the folder from WinXP?

Didn't see your message about Win2k - you've got to take the complaint about loading a game from win2k when it was installed to WinXP on to Microsoft I'm afraid. Win2k can't access WinXP's registry, so for all Win2k knows, you don't have Civ3 installed (and that's the way it should be, IMHO, cause you would otherwise effectively lose the object of having 2 OS'es installed - but that's a different discussion :) )

Just to be sure - have you ever been able to host from the WInXP machine in the past? You're first post isn't entirely clear about that (or maybe I just don't understand) and it's pretty crucial for bug-hunting purposes.

Ok, there's not much to go by now, so I'll just fling out ideas.

- have you checked that you can start a regular game? A hotseat game? PBEM?

I'm sure there's not a general problem with WinXP and 1.14f - there are lots of bugs, but other people running WinXP have successfully hosted with WinXP and patch 1.14f so there could be some software, corrupt files, bad registry settings, or other stuff disrupting the process. Make sure you have disabled all software running in the background, before you start (mainly for troubleshooting, not because I think you should have to every time you want to play)

I also think you should still try to uninstall the game again.
This time, make sure you follow this procedure:
  1. Uninstall PtW patches (using Add/Remove)
  2. Uninstall PtW
  3. Uninstall Civ3
  4. Delete the Civ3 folder manually
  5. reboot
  6. install Civ3
  7. install PtW
  8. Install the latest patch (1.14f i assume, unless you live in the US - no need to install any other patches, as the patches are inclusive)

I'll try what you suggest and let you know. I think I will uninstall and install on Win2K but can't right now. Have to keep domestic peace, if you know what I mean. I'll keep you posted on progress or any discoveries.

BTW I was able to host before using same machine a month ago (Easter). Only changes to OS are some MS updates, upgrade of Windows Media Player, new Nvidia detonator drivers (which I have already rolled back). Same updates were performed on Win98 machine, too. I can play single player, haven't tried PBEM.

Gotta go now.

Hi!

So what was the verdict on the LAN mixed with internet games? Is it possible for me and my roommate to play in the same game with others via GameSpy, Direct connect, or any other means?

Couldn't seem to find the answer on the threads...

Originally posted by Iakulu
Hi!

So what was the verdict on the LAN mixed with internet games? Is it possible for me and my roommate to play in the same game with others via GameSpy, Direct connect, or any other means?

Couldn't seem to find the answer on the threads...

Nope, not as far as I know. The game doesn't seem to handle IP address aliasing. http://www.procom.com/assets/pdfs/brochure/ipaliasing.pdf

Perhaps they have a reason.

If your lan is shared through a switch, with each PC getting a unique ip directly from your ISP, there shouldn't be any problems.

However, if you're sharing the connection through a NAT router, then you may as well give up trying. Only one person per game is allowed to be behind a router, and that person has to be the first one to join the game. Once another person behind a router tries to connect to the same game, the game will fail to start properly, regardless whether it's two persons behind two different routers or two persons behind one router. :(

how can u play on a network then?
i can join games on the internet but not host them
and I can't play lan games

Are you behind a router or hardware firewall?

i am behind a router, but if i forward ports then i can only play on the comp i forward them to not the other computer(i have 2, 1 has conquests and 1 has ptw-not sure if they r compatible)
but how can i play on my lan if only 1 player can be behind router, since whole lan is?

i have a dlink router with 2 things... a special applicatins page which has a trigger ips and public ips and i also have a virtual server list, which has the ip address to redirect to and private and publice ports... if i use the virtual server list, i think it only works on the ip u put in, but does the applications list work? dlink doesnt say but there examples use virtual server list, but i want to use both computers

I'm going crazy trying to make Multiplayer work on C3C 1.22. If I try Hotseat or PBEM, it immediately closes C3C and brings me back to the desktop. If I try I try Internet or LAN and try to join games there, it takes me the game screen but when the game starter clicks Launch and the game should start, it brings me back to my desktop. If I try hosting one, it has people join but when I click Launch, 5 seconds later it crashes the same way the others did.

I do not have any firewalls. All I have that even slightly seems like a router is a Toshiba Cable Modem PCX2600, but it doesn't really seem like a router. It's for the internet connection. As far as I know, there are no proxies on the computer. The test to look for these things at dslworld doesn't work for me. It seems like I have tried everything, but are there any suggestions?

@viper275:

Try taking this test and copy/paste the results here but omit the last two numbers from your IP-adress as in the example below

Code:
monitor.dslreports.com scanning 80.167.[b]xxx[/b].[b]xxx[/b]..
does NOT respond to a ICMP ping
does NOT respond to a TCP ping
does NOT respond to a UDP ping
Probing TCP ports with SYN packets
TCP probe finished
Probing UDP ports for echos
UDP probe finished
Scan complete.
Open TCP port 139 was NOT seen
microsoft netbios check skipped
Press results button.

When I try that, I get this (see attached image) in the place the test should be. This is on Windows 2000 by the way.

That's because something is blocking you from the test - most likely causes are Firewalls (hardware or software), Pop-up stoppers or other security programs. It may also be security settings in Internet Explorer that have to be lowered.

I tried again, putting security on lowest setting and turning everything like that off, so it seems like a firewall that is the problem, but I don't think I have one (hardware or software.) I do know the IP thing though, it's 64.68.xxx.xxx. Would this help (I remember that certain numbers beginning an IP address could tell about a firewall, but I don't think this is one of them.)

No, you're right, that doesn't indicate a hardware firewall at least. Did you find the ip by running Ipconfig in a dos-prompt?

Top Bottom