Crashing to desktop during AI turn

I just made a separate topic about this....didn't realize the problem was widespread. My current game keeps crashing when I press next turn.

My game crashes too during AI turn - regardless of whether I start a new game or load an old one, whether I use the directx11 or directx12 version of the game or whether I use Windows 7 or Windows 10. Even a fresh installation of Windows and verifying the game data via Steam did not help.

I got the same problem all of a sudden. I never had a crash prior to the patch (although I don't know if it is related to that). On AI turn, the game crash and I got a bug report window (so I can report to the devs about the problem, I guess). Sad.

One problem know is, do I dare start a new game. I mean, if this will happen in every game, the game is unplayable.

Edit: (fastest support ever). I got an answer from 2k. The answer is a workaround. So one workaround is of course to reload an early save and do different things and hope that the AI also do different things (worked for me, I had to go back 9 turns). The 2k workaround is:

"First of all, I would like to suggest a workaround that seems to alleviate the crashing in most instances.
Declare war on the Civilization that is causing the crash right before you end your turn. In order for you to know which Civilization is causing the crash, you'll have to pay attention to which Civ's turn it falls onto immediately before the crash happens. Once discovered, reload the save, declare war on that Civ and hit "Next Turn"."

I have not tested their workaround since my workaround worked, but I should keep this in mind if it happens again.

I'm guessing this is because an AI do something 'illegal' with a unit, so going back and do different things (and hope that the AI will not do whatever it was doing, illegal) or DoW them will work (until they have pinpointed why, what and fix it).

Last edited:
I actually had that thought before you said it and noticed it was crashing on the Aztecs turn. I declared on them. Game still crashed on their turn.

I may try going back and few turns and doing it again and seeing if that fixes it...though if it does still really annoying because war is not part of my game plan and is causing me some denouncements.

Update: Going back about 5 turns and declaring worked for me. Still very annoying, but at least I was able to finish my game.

Last edited:
Later in my game that crashed (I loaded an earlier save) it crashed again, and this time I planned to test 2k workaround, but of course it was Pedro my declared friend that I can't DoW.

Well, I have done everything that 2k support have told me to do (the standard stuff), so I consider that game lost. If it happens in my next game as well, then I am in 2k supports hand (and it doesn't feel so comforting as it sounds).

Are people only seeing crashes during the AI turn? Mine is crashing to the desktop during my turn, not the AI. Only started happening after the update, happens using DX12 or not using it, I'm on Windows 10 Nvidia graphics card and I updated all the drivers.

Did not work to declare war on the last players turn... And what to do if I havent discovered the last player before the crash? Until this bug is fixed, the whole game is unplayable. I will not start a new game, play for hours, just for it to crash and burn again and again.

Guys, can you Post savefiles postpatch please?
My games run totally smooth and I'd like to check that out before starting a new game... :)

After a day of sending bugreports and other mail to 2K-support, I finaly got somewere. First they told me my PC was to old, but after a little argument I got this awnser:
"Thank you for the reply and yes, you are correct.

I did not noticed you had a NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M card in your computer. For some reason, it appeared much lower in your DxDiag. Therefore you do meet the minimum specs.

That being said, would you be able to provide us a copy of your crash-dump file (CivilizationVI.exe.dmp), located in Program files (x86)/ Steam/ steamapps/ common/ Sid Meier's Civilization VI/ base/ binaries/ Win64 Steam.

For the moment we do have a workaround. To by-pass the issue, you'll have to discover which A.I is causing the crash. In order to know which A.I is causing the crash, you'll have to pay attention to which Civilization's turn it falls onto immediately before the crash happens. Once discovered, reload your save, and declare war on that Civilization and hit "Next Turn". This should prevent the game from crashing."

I still have problems, since I havent met the civ. yet on one game, but at least they are working on it. I have sent the dumpfile again, and will update the situation here. :)

Can anyone else report how the patched affected the crash?
Since the patch I'm having immediate crashes when capturing a city.

Post-patch, playing as Gorgo, I crash immediately upon capturing a city. If I choose instead to ignore that city, I crash a few turns later when I attempt to capture a different city. The year is 18XXAD. The targets are coastal cities belonging to Norway. It does not seem to matter what kind of unit I use to capture it.

The game was started pre-patch under the following settings: Large Map, Continents, Diety, Marathon.

Latest on this issue:
"Thank you for taking the time to contact 2K Support!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having an issue with Civ VI. I understand how disheartening it can be to experience setbacks and obstacles in the games we dedicate so much of our time to. We as gamers do get passionate about our games and I see why crashing upon hitting "Next turn" can cause so much frustration.

The development team has been notified of this issue and are currently working toward a solution. However, we do not have visibility on their progress here in customer support, and therefore don't have a timeline on when a fix will be implemented.

As soon as that information will be available, our players will be the first to know. I suggest that you keep an eye on our @2K and @2KSupport Twitter pages for any updates.
"

Same thing here. Playing as Greece on Prince. I think it is either at the end of Rome's turn or the start of India's turn. It kept crashing on turn 246 going on 247. I restarted all the way back to turn 237 and played back up. Lo and behold, at the end of 246 nothing happened. I thought I had broken the loop/done enough in those ten turns to change the seed/AI. Then turn 247 going on 248, same damn thing happened. It is really killer. A thing I did notice, it happened after Rome had taken the suzerian status of one of my city states in BOTH instances. Particularly Valletta. Which, in the second instance, took them a turn longer than before because I had changed up my envoy placement ten turns ago. So maybe it had something specific to do with that...

Further, I had not had an issue with this in my previous 3 games prior to the update.

.. and it keeps happening. My 2k support is useless, they don't have a clue. I didn't have this problem prior to the update. All the "crash during AI turn happen after the patch. But this is sad. I love civ.

I just played a whole game with no bugs, so it doesnt happend everytime....

I have started four games after the patch and it happened in my first game. My next game was ok. Then in my third game it happened again and now in my fourth game (I start over since I can't continue my crashed games), I'm in the late medieval era and so far so good. So sometimes it works, sometimes it isn't.

I noticed that in my crashed games, the 2k login didn't work (the login worked in my other two games). I hardly think that this has to do with anything (although I don't know what it does), but who knows. Perhaps something with the firewall?.

Bit of an oldie, but just to add that I got this same issue the other day with the latest expac and version .129 (Summer 2017 patch)... same thing everyone else has reported. Always crashing at a particular turn during the AI phase. Tried going back and doing different things. Tried declaring war. Nothing helps, just drops to the desktop and error reporter, and the error is an Unhandled Exception. First time I've had this problem, but clearly it isn't fixed.

Happened to me today. Tried all workarounds but cannot proceed. Happens on turn 1120 of Huge/Marathon game :( Newest Patch. Fired off a report at the end of every attempted workaround so hopefully somebody sees it. First time this has happened to me since December, iirc.

The same has happened to me. No matter what I do, my game always crashes on turn 318. I'm playing on the Giant Earth (YnAMP). I determined during which AIs turn it crashes on, but no matter what decisions I make or if declare war or not, it always crashes on turn 318. This problem has never happened to me until now. Hopefully they patch it soon.

Yeah. I am seeing it as well. Just a standard map size but crash on the same turn.

Jut adding:
I played the turn three times and made some changes and it still crashed
I then went back four turns played a little bit different and it did not crash.

So I am thinking there is something that happens in the game rather than a technical memory issue related problem

Last edited:
Top Bottom