Culture

BJ Joey

Chieftain
This may seem like a stupid question, but....as far as I can see to get Cultures (i.e. Sioux, English, Portuguese etc) as a Wonder, you're chosen civilization must be on the same continent. For example, if you are the Spanish, then you can fill the the requirements and get French Culture, but not Aborigine Culture. It seems this way as one of the requirements for each Culture is said continent, i.e. European, North American Is this correct? Or is there a way of obtaining South American Culture as the Germans for example?

This may seem like a stupid question, but....as far as I can see to get Cultures (i.e. Sioux, English, Portuguese etc) as a Wonder, you're chosen civilization must be on the same continent. For example, if you are the Spanish, then you can fill the the requirements and get French Culture, but not Aborigine Culture. It seems this way as one of the requirements for each Culture is said continent, i.e. European, North American Is this correct? Or is there a way of obtaining South American Culture as the Germans for example?
You can get a South American culture as the Germans if you capture enough cities that are of a cultural base of South American - I think it's scaled by mapsize but based on 3 cities or something like that. Otherwise you're pretty much accurate. I think it's possible that by invading a city, you remove its attached base culture in the process so there's some wiggle room where sometimes you have to capture more than others to get enough to get the cultural base template? I have not played enough since this cultural update was done to be able to explain it very well.

Yeah, there's no guarantee that you'll capture the "Continental" culture (European/Asian/etc.) together with any given city.
But after you capture enough cities with that building surviving through the owner switch, you get that "Continental" culture on a permanent basis (or should do that).
Meaning, if your European Spanish pioneers keep assimilating Native Indian cities, eventually you WILL get the "South American" culture even in Madrid, lol.
Note, though, that "Culture" is still a resource like any other, so it only spreads the same way any other resource would spread.
As in, if you have a city that isn't a part of a currently enabled trading route system, it WON'T get the cultures built in your other cities - just like it WON'T get stuff like Cow or Silver either.
This is somewhat important, if you expect to, say, get Sioux into Moscow via Madrid - your Moscow might NOT be connected to Madrid by any trade routes for this to happen to begin with.
(The above means a case where Spain took over both Native Indians and Russia - both of the two conquered regions are not necessarily connected to your capital via trade routes, lol.)

As long as you have at least one city with the foreign culture, you can also replicate it by training settlers in that city and settling them. Settlers get a culture promotion based on the local cultures in a city.

As long as you have at least one city with the foreign culture, you can also replicate it by training settlers in that city and settling them. Settlers get a culture promotion based on the local cultures in a city.
This reminded me of an interesting question:
If I capture a new Culture on a different landmass and in a city that won't be connected to my core cities by trading routes - would I get an Adopted Culture built in my capital anyways?
I know for a fact that "specific" cultures (English, Australian, Cherokee) really act like any other resource (and require trading routes to spread) - but do "continental" cultures as well?

This reminded me of an interesting question:
If I capture a new Culture on a different landmass and in a city that won't be connected to my core cities by trading routes - would I get an Adopted Culture built in my capital anyways?
I know for a fact that "specific" cultures (English, Australian, Cherokee) really act like any other resource (and require trading routes to spread) - but do "continental" cultures as well?
The base culture mechanic is not affected by the map in any way, you just need X amount of cities with the local culture somewhere to get it as an adopted culture nationwide.

The base culture mechanic is not affected by the map in any way, you just need X amount of cities with the local culture somewhere to get it as an adopted culture nationwide.
Yeah, I kinda realized that by recalling the building prerequisites for continental cultures.
Thanks, anyways.

Top Bottom