Custom settings?

Yomato

Chieftain
Hello all.

Used to play Civ 2 back in the day. Just recently purchased Civ4 Gold and had a pretty simple question...

I like randomly generated maps, what I dont like is having about 8 random Civ's and they are all on the same continent!!

How do I avoid this?

I want to play an earthlike map (continents or terra) but want the enemy to be on other continents. I keep generating maps and I keep running into 75%+ of the opposition on my home continent.

Are there any premade maps which allow this?

Hello all.

Used to play Civ 2 back in the day. Just recently purchased Civ4 Gold and had a pretty simple question...

I like randomly generated maps, what I dont like is having about 8 random Civ's and they are all on the same continent!!

How do I avoid this?

I want to play an earthlike map (continents or terra) but want the enemy to be on other continents. I keep generating maps and I keep running into 75%+ of the opposition on my home continent.

Are there any premade maps which allow this?

Can't answer the question about premade maps, but you can try this map script.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1817

It allows a high degree of control over the initial settings. While it still may give you a large number of AI opponents on your continent, since you do have more control over the settings there is a better chance the civs will be more evenly distributed.

Example: You could set it for a Standard size map with four continents with at total of eight civs. There's a setting for making the continents proportioned to the number of civs on them, so an isolated start will be on small continents, while bigger continents will have more civs. Since you've set it for four continents, there's better odds than with the official scripts that the civs will be distributed evenly.

Oh, the Planet map that comes with the basic game does have one position that is alone on its continent. You could use WB to place yourself there when starting a game.

Try the Hemispheres map, with twice as many civs as continents.

So far, this setup has placed 2 civs per continent each time I've played it.

Try the Hemispheres map, with twice as many civs as continents.

So far, this setup has placed 2 civs per continent each time I've played it.
Where do I get this map? Is it included in Civ4 Warlords?

I've been trying to get Civ4 to create a nice continents map, but all my maps ends up with 2 large vertical continents and almost no other islands.. So boring.. :(

Where do I get this map? Is it included in Civ4 Warlords?

I've been trying to get Civ4 to create a nice continents map, but all my maps ends up with 2 large vertical continents and almost no other islands.. So boring.. :(
You can specify the number of continents. I usually choose 4 or 5 with lots of Civs, to make life interesting.

Cheers.

You might try both Archipelago and Islands and play around with the settings.

Another way to go that I like is Hub. One big "continent", but everyone gets their own subcontinent attached to the hub by a land bridge (you can change the width of the bridge in the settings). All of these are in custom game.

Sounds like you'd probably get a kick out of low sea level archipelago (and possibly with snaky continents enabled). You'll have a fairly substantial amount of land to work with, but it is still largely water based so besides an early rush, most of your warfare will be of the intercontinental kind. And there are tons of little islands all over the place to use as naval (and eventually air) bases and such. I wish there was a setting for continents to create some kind of archipelago in between the main islands. It really is dull this huge empty mass of water.

Top Bottom