CvFinalFrontierEvents vs CvEventManager

What should be done about the Final Frontier event manager?

• Keep it as a custom event manager (CvFinalFrontierEvents.py)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Switch to use CvEventManager, to allow other custom event managers

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Other (If there is an "other" option, please post it, as I can't think of one).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TC01

Deity
I'm not particularly fond of the use Firaxis has put to custom event managers- replacing CvEventManager entirely in all of their mods. I don't know why they would do this. But I wish they hadn't done it.

The first and obvious issue with it is that if a modder wants to use a Python callback, they have to add it from a copy of the BTS CvEventManager. They also have to add a bit of code that executes whatever default Firaxis code is in BTS's CvEventManager. If Final Frontier Plus used a normal event manager, they wouldn't need to do any of this.

The second issue, which only came to my attention recently, is other custom event managers. keldath has been working on merging BBAI and Babylon 5, and part of the BBAI code is a CvCustomEventManager file. And he's been having a little trouble with it (we've talked via PM about it, and he'll probably post more about it in this forum soon).

So now, the point of this topic- would it be a good idea or a bad idea to remove CvFinalFrontierEvents.py and move all the code back to CvEventManager? This would contain all the unique Final Frontier functions too (unless I made a new FinalFrontier.py file, for organizational purposes).

The only point against this that I can think of is that it would make merging with other mods trickier. At the moment, you could use WinMerge to merge, say, the FF+ CvFinalFrontierEvents and the Star Trek CvFinalFrontierEvents.py. You could not, however, do this if I switched to CvEventManager. Why? Because the order of functions in both files would be different. (At least, I'm pretty sure it would be).

Opinions? Please vote in the poll and post what you think.

A while ago (years, actually) it was considered bad form to modify CvEventManager.py. With the proliferation of SDK mods and lack of new patches it's been rendered moot - the whole reasoning was that there would be less of a need to update in case of a patch. At this point I might just keep up with underlying changes in FF+ as they happen, at least until 4.0 is out and considered bug-free - at this point, the differences between the two (minus the obvious stuff like civs and buildings) in python are pretty much UWs and scenario event engines.

A while ago (years, actually) it was considered bad form to modify CvEventManager.py. With the proliferation of SDK mods and lack of new patches it's been rendered moot - the whole reasoning was that there would be less of a need to update in case of a patch. At this point I might just keep up with underlying changes in FF+ as they happen, at least until 4.0 is out and considered bug-free - at this point, the differences between the two (minus the obvious stuff like civs and buildings) in python are pretty much UWs and scenario event engines.

I guess I get it, but as you say, now that a lot of mods use DLLs and now that there aren't new patches anymore... there's not so much of a point to it.

So, I understand why it might have been a good idea, but now that Final Frontier Plus uses a custom DLL, there's no longer any point to use a custom event manager. Except for easy merges with other mods.

Top Bottom